Setting the correct length of a custom Panhard rod

Am currently engaged in fitting the Nissan GQ front axle under the Disco and just wanted to check the correct way of setting up a Panhard rod. I have currently fitted the radius arms and tightened all bushes and then inserted springs and jacked up the axle until all the weight is on the springs. As far as i see it this simulates normal ride height. Correct? I have checked that the radius arms are parallel to the chassis rails which they are to the mm so I am happy with the axle position as it is now.

I must now fit the panhard rod though. Am I right in thinking that it should be at the point of least tension/compression at normal ride height? If I make it to length to fit now should that be fine. Or is there an argument for making it shorter or longer so as to run the axle slightly off centre at rest? Car is normal RHD

Cheers for any help

Mark

PS not wanting to make it adjustable as I don't have time or patience to do so and can't see that it will help really unless I have a major set up change in which case I will probably end up doing something completely different anyway!

Is your rear axle/wheels on the ground? If so, then I'd think that not all the weight is on the front springs that there would be if the whole vehicle was standing on all four wheels.

Also, the panhard rod has to be parallel to the steering drag link or else you will get bump steer (I think that what it's called :) )

That's all I know. :unsure:

Sounds fine to me. Though I would be tempted to tack it as you say then remove the springs and cycle the suspension to be sure that the radius arms dont foul the chassis at either extreme of movement. Full droop would be the issue I would have thought. Mine is std length but needs a bit put in it as the hockey stick rubs a little!

Cheers for that lads. Rear wheels are on the ground so that is OK. Will tack it up as you suggest Steve and give it a cycle without springs. The Diff does look like its going to run pretty close to the chassis rail so maybe I will take the opportunity to fit it and see how that fairs too!

I'll get some pics up later

Mark