Defender Gearing

Hi All,

I am looking to change the transfer box on my 90, its a 2003 td5 model. I have priced up the various options from Ashcrofts and my local garage (sadly not near enough Ashcrofts to take advantadge of fitting service) and my local garage recommends i buy a transfer box rather than the ratios kit, less hrs in total work so more cost effective.

I e mailed Ashcrofts for some info and they were good to respond but did admit that they didnt have any defenitive figures on how an increased ratio would improve mpg - just that i should get an improvement and lower my revs while driving at 60ish on road.

My 90 does run a 2 inch lift and have a winch on the front so i am aware that doesnt make for the most perfect fuel consumption, its also on mud terrains.

So has anyone fitted an uprated transfer box to their td5 and also whats the difference like?

Huge thanks to all for help and advice

Davie

Everyone I've spoken to whos had it done can't recommend it highly enough - it won't get you up to 40mpg, but they've said that it does improve by 3-5mpg, maybe more if you have a remap/well tuned engine, depending on how you drive but that the biggest praise is the lack of noise compared to before... I think you drop from 2900 to 2200rpm in 5th doing 70mph which can only be good for the ears and the wallet (please check rpm's as I'm not 100% sure).

I'm saving up put it that way :) did Ashcroft give you a price for a TF box?

Guest wunntenn

Not got a TD5 but I have got a 200tdi in my 110 with various engine and turbo mods, with an Ashcroft 1.222 LT230 transfer box, and it probably puts out as much power as a TD5. Only recently finished the upgrade work so no definitive figures, but seat of the pants estimate is about 30mpg if driven sensibly on a long run, and a lot less if it gets walloped. I think this is a couple of mpg more than the old box. The big difference is the driving comfort - dont need 5th gear until after 45/50mph, and in 5th its quiet, smooth, and not straining the engine like the original 110 box. It stills pulls away in grand style without slippig the clutch. Not sure what your knobbly tyres and lift will do for it though, and the winch is a lump too, but whatever, I suspect you'll see an improvement simply due to lower revs on longer runs.

i got 2 prices from Ashcrofts

a rebuilt transfer case will be £ 495 + carriage + VAT exchange, or we have new at £ 650 exchange

The noise reduction would be nice, lower revs definetly nice and not having to shift 1-5 so quickly would make driving easier cause right now its like a lil race to get into fifth since its revving so much.

Davie

installed this in singapore. got the parts from ashcroft in april when i went to the UK.

if you have easy access to a 230q transfer box, then it's easier that way. if you live where i am and land rovers are like hens' teeth, i doubt you'll be able to rip one off a discovery that easily.

1. you notice it will be quieter. oh yes, 230q stands for quiet.

2. you need less revs to maintain how you usually drive eg: if you always did 70km/h you'll find that the same revs you did now gets you to 80km/h.

3. saving on fuel, if you're doing lotsa highway then it will be about from 9km/L to 10 km/L.

Labour would definately be more expensive in the UK to remove, disassemble and refit. i paid about 400SGD to get mine done up. So the total damage was about 350 pounds to get that going.

get a disco1 t boc - £75- £100 2nd hand and fit that job lot done, not Q gears but the 1.2 ratio will provide the same drop in rpm as above and give a significant noise reduction.

cheers for replies folks,

Hadnt thought about the Q gears - must ask Ashcrofts!

Mainly interested in the reducing of revs doing 90% of my driving without towing, i know it will be a lil different towing twin axle trailer but thats only a few hundred miles a year so hey i can live with that.

Truly would love to find as much people who have done it and know its less revs for same speed, ie less revs to maintain 60mph (way too many speed cops i seem to find) and improves mpg

Davie

Not got a TD5 but I have got a 200tdi in my 110 with various engine and turbo mods, with an Ashcroft 1.222 LT230 transfer box, and it probably puts out as much power as a TD5. Only recently finished the upgrade work so no definitive figures, but seat of the pants estimate is about 30mpg if driven sensibly on a long run, and a lot less if it gets walloped. I think this is a couple of mpg more than the old box. The big difference is the driving comfort - dont need 5th gear until after 45/50mph, and in 5th its quiet, smooth, and not straining the engine like the original 110 box. It stills pulls away in grand style without slippig the clutch. Not sure what your knobbly tyres and lift will do for it though, and the winch is a lump too, but whatever, I suspect you'll see an improvement simply due to lower revs on longer runs.

what ratio was your old 200 tdi transfer box if it was 1.6 I highly recomend you list it for sale on this forum the box is a desirable item if you run 35" simex

I had both the G & T boxes on my TD5 110 Van exchanged by Ashcrofts about a month ago. Cost around £1600 fitted (this included the 1.2 gearing). The work was carried out by Autoland 4x4 near Milton Keynes - so it will worth asking Ashcrofts if they outsource work to anyone down your way.

My Van previously had the 1.4 gearing + a GKN overdrive. Giving the engine a very good thrashing, top end was around 60 to 65 mph without the GKN, and with the it on, around 80 to 85 mph. The best mph I achieved with the GKN & a light foot was around 38 mpg.

I'm very happy with the 1.2 conversion, and would recomend it to anyone with a 1.4 box. Pull away from traffic lights for example is much more relaxing and you aren't in 3rd by the time you've crossed the lights, nor do you have the hassle of the 30 mph limit of the GKN. Top end is slightly down on the GKN - at a push around 80 mph. As you're probably aware, the 1.2 does not affect low ratio, and on the TD5, the anti-stall still runs at 4 mph (which is fantastic for traffic jams!!). Not too sure what the mpg is, but I'm probably down a bit, as I've also fitted BFG's 265 75's vs my old Avon 7.5's.

I have also read that some of the TDi's came with a 1.9 ratio, so if you do 95% road and no towing, this might also be worth considering.

Cheers

Tom

Guest wunntenn

Robhybrid - my old t/box was exchanged for the new one from Ashcroft, and it was from a 19J TD of '89 vintage so I cant recall what it was.

• 2 weeks later...

Thought i would bring back up my topic as landy booked into garage on monday for new transfer box. Garage has ordered one of ashcrofts boxes for me, get my gearing raised.

So currently on a full tank of fuel i get 340 miles doing all my normal runs, no towing in there.

Be interesting to see what i get once fitted, am on hols for a week so be different miles - usual routine will return in a week.

Off up to inverness area (culloden) for a day or 2 this week, be nice run from banchory - 2 hrs or so

Davie

Well thats it done - new transfer box in with the uprated ratios.

All went well so thats good news - managed to find the clunk i had at same time - A frame ball joint so thats done also.

Even got rid of my whine in fifth it seems so thats even better.

first impressions - excellent. first is now useable even when not towing and definetly pulls better. will post figures about performance/mpg in a week or so once i do some running.

Now trying to decide which chipping/upgrade to get done so all opinions welcome

Davie

Robhybrid - my old t/box was exchanged for the new one from Ashcroft, and it was from a 19J TD of '89 vintage so I cant recall what it was.

it was a 1.410:1 box same as mine which was the same spec as yours :D

a fitted a rebuilt Ashcroft TB recently & did it easily over a weekend.

Can I ask what the standard gearing is for a 1988 90?

And what gearing would be better for road use, no towing?

I like the sound of having mine changed to make it less of a race through the gears as previously mentioned but don't understand all of whats been said here.

Thanks

Steve

Can I ask what the standard gearing is for a 1988 90?

And what gearing would be better for road use, no towing?

I like the sound of having mine changed to make it less of a race through the gears as previously mentioned but don't understand all of whats been said here.

Thanks

Steve

most likely same as the 110.

I have also read that some of the TDi's came with a 1.9 ratio, so if you do 95% road and no towing, this might also be worth considering.

Cheers

Tom

I don't know where you read that but it is completely incorrect. The lowest gear ratios in a LT230 were 1.6:1 in the early boxes for the 2.25 petrol and diesels, also used in the 2.5 engines. The BMW 2.8i M52 engined SA Defenders also used that box but for a different reason.

Last year I had an Ashcroft exchange 1.4 box for my old 1.22 box.

The V8 mated to the 4 speed ZF Auto was a bit painfull on motorways wanting to keep changing from 3rd to 4th and back again especially up long hills. Now with the lower gearing I can pull in 4th all day, uses a few hundred rpm's more but no significant increase in fuel consumption if anything slight reduction.

Not a TD5 or manual, just thought the V8 boys might like to know :lol:

Well thats it done - new transfer box in with the uprated ratios.

All went well so thats good news - managed to find the clunk i had at same time - A frame ball joint so thats done also.

Even got rid of my whine in fifth it seems so thats even better.

first impressions - excellent. first is now useable even when not towing and definetly pulls better. will post figures about performance/mpg in a week or so once i do some running.

Now trying to decide which chipping/upgrade to get done so all opinions welcome

Davie

Glad you are pleased with it !

:) yep very pleased with it. just done a couple hundred miles, banchory to inverness and back. one way over the lecht at glenshee (lovely hilly run) and back on boring main road. Excellent spread of gears for hilly work even on the very steepest bit having to use third - cant remember the gradient but somebody more local will know - all i know is its bloody steep! and great fun on way down the road. Soooo much quieter in 5th and easier to just cruise at 60. Mpg seems a lot better but will know for sure in a week or two once back off holidays.

Definetly recommend it to anyone and ashcrofts good to use (dealt with them through north east 4x4)

Davie