Hi Everybody

steanlol

Hi all just signed up so thought i'd pop in and see how you all are .

I've got a series 2a at the mo but am thinking about getting a discovery

im after a 300tdi or would also like a v8 but with lpg to keep costs down

would be using it for trialing and greenlaning but also going to work in it now and then

what i would like to ask is which would be better for what i want it for ? the tdi or the v8 ?

will be putting bigger wheels and tyres on it and a winch and a few other bits and bobs

is the tdi a bit gutless in the power department when it comes to adding bigger wheels and tyres and weighing it down with all the other add ons ie sumpguard diff guards ?

sorry to ask so much so soon but was just looking for your impartial views on it

Many thanks

Edited by steanlol

I have a 300 Tdi 3 door 95 Disco and can say that it is not gutless, though I do not have all the add ons that you are looking at on it.

I also prefer to keep away from petrol engines for off roading.

Just my preference.

Typsey

I've just been reading about uprating the intercooler on the tdi and fetling the fueling to give upto 30 more bhp and a big hike in torque which would sway me more to the tdi for the offroading side as i know that some v8's hate even a drop of water but everything can be sorted one way or another .

im after a 300tdi or would also like a v8

Everytime in in the Disco, i want to be in my 3.9 Rangey becuase i always end up racing someone and one normal roads once you're at 80mph+ the 300Tdi runs out of puff a bit. I'm planning on getting some bits from Allisport though...

:D

Thing is though, everytime i get back from a journey in the Range i wish i'd been in the Disco so it didn't cost as much and was comfier!

is the tdi a bit gutless in the power department when it comes to adding bigger wheels and tyres and weighing it down with all the other add ons ie sumpguard diff guards ?

I've got steering guard, diff guards, winch bumper, snorkel, roof bars, lifted suspension, lightbar etc etc and hasn't made one jot of difference to how it goes.

Big tyres will only slow it up if they're mega tall and affect the gearing. In order to run those tyres though you need to do some serious mods to suspension and body so a bit of extra money on engine mods will be the least of your worries.

Best of luck.

what i would like to ask is which would be better for what i want it for ? the tdi or the v8 ?

I have to agree, V8's hate the water when you'd be trialling etc, my dads V8 runs on WD40 when it even sniffs the water :lol:

Certainly the Tdi ain't gutless, my last Disco was a 300Tdi and I was very pleased with it, yes, Ok you can't race the 12yr old in his Vauxhall Corsa with all his alloys and fat exhaust pipe, but if you want that buy a Dodge Hennessey Viper Venom 800TT and be done with it.

..weighing it down with all the other add ons ie sumpguard diff guards ?

I found that adding these items to mine just reduced the clearence a bit, not the performance, but just even being sensible and sticking on some 255/85x16's on will give a bit more clearence.

Welcome by the way!! :D

The thought of the v8 sound and power makes me want one but in my heart i know i should maybe have the disco .

What are the biggest tryes i can put on a disco without doing any body mods ?

i more than likely will be going for a 2" lift

thanks for the replys so far

V8 Engines in landrovers dislike water, but a properly prepared one coupled with a decent driving technique should have no real problems with occasional paddle in water. If you are getting it wet often I would advise the TDI as it has no problem with water if you properly fit a snorkel!

In other situations you will either find the extra power of the V8 a god send, or you might be hampered by it having more power than you need!! A lot will come down to your driving technique and what you want from the vehicle. such as using it daily on the roads will be expensive in a V8 unless it is using LPG, if you like the noise of the V8 then the clatter of diesel may be a disapointment!!

good luck with choosing!

Andy

A good choice! I have driven some V8 range rover Autos off road and they can lock in to first and second or just drive and I found their enormous power made mincemeat of most obstacles in low ratio drive! Was fooled by one that didnt have a locking diff but then realised it has a viscous coupling!

Hope you have fun with the 300tdi, take my advice and get the cambelt changed!! (see my other post!)

Andy

Guest Fingers Mclean
Hi all just signed up so thought i'd pop in and see how you all are .

I've got a series 2a at the mo but am thinking about getting a discovery

im after a 300tdi or would also like a v8 but with lpg to keep costs down

would be using it for trialing and greenlaning but also going to work in it now and then

will be putting bigger wheels and tyres on it and a winch and a few other bits and bobs

sorry to ask so much so soon but was just looking for your impartial views on it

Many thanks

Why dont you go the GMC conversion v8 Diesel 6.2l loads of torque and still a v8 Diesel :D:D:D