Loss of public rights of way

pongo

Found this on a well-known website;

"Countdown 2026

Unless action is taken to stop it, in 2026 an unprecedented removal of public rights will take place and thousands of rights of way will be lost forever.

Many of the public rights of way under threat are used every day and some are British institutions, being part of much-loved national trails. In fact, it's even possible that a path you've been using for years to get to the shops or walk the dog is on the hit list.

What we're doing about it and how you can help

We're lobbying Government to get the law repealed. You can help by signing our petition on Number 10 Downing Street website."

So whose is it? CRAG? GLASS? Well stone me, its from the Ramblers web site! Perhaps they will now begin to understand what it is like to feel like a persecuted group of law-abiding, like-minded enthusiasts, whose hobby is being threatened. Can't say I'm that sympathetic to their cause. :angry:

See http://www.ramblers.org.uk/footpaths/misc/cutoffdate.html

Well, poetic justice of sorts! May make them understand what we suffered with NERC!

Might be an opportunity to build bridges with the ramblers though! I have never seen laning and rambling as mutually exclusive!

Steve

My communication to RA. No response yet!

Dear Ramblers,

The ramblers association were overjoyed in March 2006 when DEFRA achieved Royal Assent for "The Natural Environment and Rural Communities (NERC) Act".

As you are aware this downgraded the majority of BOAT's to non-vehicular status and removed the allegedly vast number of 4x4s from our countryside. This bill was supported by the Ramblers Association.

What a surprise that phase 2 has now arrived! Virtually identical to NERC it seeks to clarify the status of public footpaths and hence remove public rights of way from a very significant number of our public footpaths.

Similar to NERC you know what is going to happen next, DEFRA will claim that far too many applications have been made to process and they will change the cut off date and not process the applications your members send in. The number of rights of way will be significantly reduced.

Quite clearly DEFRA have no interest in clarifying the legality of footpaths, bridleways or BOATS. Their political motivation is supported by the (mega rich) landowners who have far more influence that the families who enjoy the countryside. These powerful landowners don't want the "nasty" people in their 4x4s or bobble hats near their land.

There is no doubt that there are a number of irresponsible individuals who have been a nuisance of our rights of way. DEFRA convinced yourselves that NERC was the solution. You fell into the trap set and by supporting DEFRA you have played into their hands by adding credence to their activities.

Rights of way will disappear. We will become accustomed to terms like FPNL (footpath not longer in use), BDO (bridleway downgrade order) TRO (traffic regulation order), I made the first two up of course, but you know what they mean.

The Ramblers Association need to admit that they were duped into supporting NERC. Without this admission the Ramblers Association are implicitly supporting the sections "53 to 56 of the Countryside and Rights of Way Act 2000" and the loss of a significant proportion of our rights of way.

Guest diesel_jim
But it is another loss of freedom in this country.

Makes you wonder "who" it is that thinks of these things? why do they want all RoW's closed? is it more of a big brother thing....ban everyone from the great (non policable) great outdoors and sheep-herd them into towns that are rife with CCTV cameras, just so "they" can keep an eye on "us"???

it can't be a EU thing.... Europe is full of legal RoW's for people/cars/donkeys whatever....it's just got to be stupid Labour.

talking of EU and the great outdoors.... have you heard that the acre is to be outlawed. we must now use the hectare (approx 2.5x an acre)

why? same as punds & ounces. :angry::angry::angry::angry:

Could be to do with the Ramblers' official policy (no, really, read it) of making a pain in the arse of themselves and demanding that councils repair any footpaths they deem to be in poor nick.

Sad though this whole situation is, I have to laugh at the RA's response. When they're banning everyone else and their dog from the countryside it's all wonderful and lovely - then when the spotlight falls on them, they are all surprised and indignant :lol:

Found this on a well-known website;

"Countdown 2026

Unless action is taken to stop it, in 2026 an unprecedented removal of public rights will take place and thousands of rights of way will be lost forever.

Many of the public rights of way under threat are used every day and some are British institutions, being part of much-loved national trails. In fact, it's even possible that a path you've been using for years to get to the shops or walk the dog is on the hit list.

What we're doing about it and how you can help

We're lobbying Government to get the law repealed. You can help by signing our petition on Number 10 Downing Street website."

So whose is it? CRAG? GLASS? Well stone me, its from the Ramblers web site! Perhaps they will now begin to understand what it is like to feel like a persecuted group of law-abiding, like-minded enthusiasts, whose hobby is being threatened. Can't say I'm that sympathetic to their cause. :angry:

See http://www.ramblers.org.uk/footpaths/misc/cutoffdate.html

Well CRAG www.crag-uk.org GLASS www.glass-uk.org

I have known about thisfor a while. It applys to ALL ROW not just FPs, BOTS and UCR and stuff that is not on the map as well.

The biggest problem is when its gone its GONE for ever, so if the road to your house is on the List Of Streets and not on the Definive map by 2026 then you WILL lost the right to drive to your house. Theres no appeal at all. this is why later this year I will start theprocess to add them to the DM. But every one will need to do it.

Paul