setting up a 24v system for the winch

I have just spent the last half hour searching for my answer of how to set up and make my front winch run on 24v? No luck, or am I just useless? No, answers required :lol:

Can anyone be of any help please?

I would like to run a warn xp on 24v for my front winch, however as I use the car very few times a year, maybe 2 challenges and some driving days, will the motor last for a fair duration?

, will the motor last for a fair duration?

Not quite sure, what answer you are looking for,, ?? Will the motor last, with little use, ? or have enough battery power ??

My hybrid runs 24v on the front 8274,, powered by 2 x 12v batteries in the rear, and charged by a second 24v alternator !!

Works well,, but its not had a lot of use this year, but do trickle charge the 2 batteries up, a couple of days beforehand,,

sorry badly worded.

so to get the 24v I need two alternators, the second one being 24v?

ATM Tony, the car will not be used to great extent, however as I am only young it will be built up and therefore used more. For now this is a start, a couple of years down the line and this winch maybe in the back

Yes a simple set up is to fit an extra 24v alternator and two 12v batteries in series. This keeps your 12v system intact.

I had the hybrid before Tim and never touched the batteries between use and all was ok

Cheers

Steve

sorry badly worded.

so to get the 24v I need two alternators, the second one being 24v?

ATM Tony, the car will not be used to great extent, however as I am only young it will be built up and therefore used more. For now this is a start, a couple of years down the line and this winch maybe in the back

You can pick up a 24V alternator for pennies however, if you phone conversion & precision engineering and ask for him to fax you a copy of a 24V into 12V system wiring diagram I'm sure he will forward that to you with no problems.. I had him send me this when i wanted to have a 24V start on a 12V system... Nissan 6cyl into landrover conversion...

Hope this is of use....?

Daniel

Guest diesel_jim

I did this setup on Andy Chaplins rainforest 90.

dead easy, same as using a twin 12v alternator setup. the 24v systen can share the same earth (Chassis) as the 12v system...no hassles there.

you run the large charge cable back to the two 12v batteries (which are wires in series to give 24v), take the WL (warning light) wire back to the dash, through a spotlight relay (contacts of relay, N/O normally open ones) through a suitable warning light (on defenders you've got the military 24v orange battery symbol,bottom right of the warning cluster, ideal! [d]but you'll need a 24v bulb in it![/b] then the other side of that warning light goes down to the +'ve of the 24v batteries.

then, take an ignition fed live from behind the dash, run it (via a fuse!) through the coil of the relay, then down to earth.

so, you turn the ignition on, the relay energises, allows the 24v alternator to get power,the warning light comes on...hey presto!

Thanks to all for your help, I think that I maybe able to do it!

Mo, the winch motor will still be 12v, so running 24v through it speeds it up quite a bit. Although it doesn't do it alot of good

Another little question, when the motor dies from having too much power from it, what is it internally that gives up? Anything replaceable, or just get a new one?

Guest diesel_jim

Andy ran 24v through his 12v winch (remember as well, you'll need 24v solenoids or a 24v allbright, as the power feed for the relay coils will be 24v).

i think the windings eventually burn out, so chuck it and buy another one.

or just run a 24v motor, have lots more torque than a 12v one and save the hassle of having to keep replacing it.

Andy ran 24v through his 12v winch (remember as well, you'll need 24v solenoids or a 24v allbright, as the power feed for the relay coils will be 24v).

i think the windings eventually burn out, so chuck it and buy another one.

or just run a 24v motor, have lots more torque than a 12v one and save the hassle of having to keep replacing it.

Sorry Jim,

This is incorrect.

Use 12v Contactors to make things easier for yourself. The only difference between the 12v and the 24v DC88 (Albright) is the voltage required to switch them.

If you use 12v contactors the switching wiring is very simple, if you use 24v you will need to fit a relay to convert your igntion feed to 24 v to switch the contactor, which is pointless.

24v through 12v motors is hugely popluar in Australia with almost everyone doing it, however they do have the advantage of decent freespools.

"Whats that got to do with it?"

You will struggle to destroy an XP motor with 24v through it when under load, but off load they have a tendancy to over rev and pop the armarture. The trick is to pulse the winch when paying out and listen to the motor, it will tell you if it is over revving.

The other thing that is important is service your motor, you must keep it clean internally as this method does tend to be hard on the brushes (and Xp brushes wear fast anyway) just blow out the motor once in a while and make sure the brush holders are moving nicely and you will have no problems.

"How long will they last?" Wayne Smith and Rowan Canavan (Top team in Aus) have been using the same pair of XP motors with 24v through them for almost exactly 2 years and they winch very hard.

In fact, to give you an idea, This weekend was the Atetco Trophy in South Australia (Event where the top boys lock horns)

I only know the top five placing (it only finished yesterday), but i can tell you that they where all using 24v through 12v motors......

They where also all using Gigglepin Twinmotor winches (I had to get that in :lol: )

I also speak to a chap form Mud Rhino in Aus on a regular basis and he runs an Xp winch with 24v through it and has done so for over a year with no problems.

HOWEVER....... I do have a stack of knackered 12v Xp motors from trying this and other techiques so be careful.

Jim

Ps: I have some secondhand 55amp 24v alternaters that we removed to fit 80amp units 18 months ago, they are in good condition and ideal for a single motor set-up.

Guest diesel_jim
Sorry Jim,

This is incorrect.

Use 12v Contactors to make things easier for yourself. The only difference between the 12v and the 24v DC88 (Albright) is the voltage required to switch them.

If you use 12v contactors the switching wiring is very simple, if you use 24v you will need to fit a relay to convert your igntion feed to 24 v to switch the contactor, which is pointless.

eh? the soleniods/contactors will be running off of the 24v battery, hence the need for 24v contactors.

they don't need to be connected to the ignition system at all, they get their feed (usually) from the main battery cable where it connects to the winch.

eh? the soleniods/contactors will be running off of the 24v battery, hence the need for 24v contactors.

they don't need to be connected to the ignition system at all, they get their feed (usually) from the main battery cable where it connects to the winch.

Then how will you switch them :rolleyes:

A 24v contactor require 24v to switch it, eg: when you press the button on the winch control.

If you use a 12v version then you can use 12v for the switching making the whole job a lot more simple :)

Sorry if i have explained it badly :unsure:

Jim

Then how will you switch them :rolleyes:

A 24v contactor require 24v to switch it, eg: when you press the button on the winch control.

Not advocating 24v or 12v. But this would be easy, you would take the switch feed from the 24v supply to the Winch. The same as you would on a 12v winch set up.

Cheers

Steve

Guest diesel_jim
Not advocating 24v or 12v. But this would be easy, you would take the switch feed from the 24v supply to the Winch. The same as you would on a 12v winch set up.

Cheers

Steve

^^^^^^^ 'swat I was trying to get over... :rolleyes:

Another quick question, can I run just one 24v battery or has it got to be two 12v?

Hi Rhys

You will need two batteries to make a 24V system as you link two 12v together to get the voltage, if you need help pop in and i can run you through it as its the same as my RR and Jims right about he albrights i run 12v with 24v going through them makes for lees 24v wires running round the car.

Best regards Jon

Hi Rhys

You will need two batteries to make a 24V system as you link two 12v together to get the voltage, if you need help pop in and i can run you through it as its the same as my RR and Jims right about he albrights i run 12v with 24v going through them makes for lees 24v wires running round the car.

Best regards Jon

Thanks Jon,

Thats super

You will almost definitely hear from me as you have given me that offer now :P

No is the honest answer...

Although expect to be up around 30-40% faster.

Yes it really does make that much difference

Jim

Ps: One thing some of the Aussie teams do to that is to blow low pressure high volume air through the motor to remove Carbon dust. Most tend to just remove the end housing after the days play is finished, and blow out the motors with an air line.