Cross Drilled Imput Gear

My R380 seems to have a bit of wear on the rear output shaft. Bit of a clunk but not too bad. Would I benefit from swapping in one of the cross drilled input gear to halt any additional wear or would it be a waste or money at this point?

Thanks

Brett

If you just want to grab an extra 12 months (depending on use) out of your gearbox before having to remove it and you are willing to sacrifice a new cross drilled gear, then changing the gear will do this.

The cross drilled gear has slightly longer internal splines and will take drive on a portion of shaft that has not been worn.

This is really true bodgers temporary fix.

Proper fix is to remove gear box strip down and rebuild with a new output/main shaft then re fitt with new cross drilled gear.

The best bodgers fix I have seen was a guy on one of the forums who hammered square masonry nails into the gap in the splines. He reckoned it worked very well :o

"IIRC all R380/LT230 combinations have the cross drilled gear from new." No, not quite, Ralph. The cross-drilled gear was first used in about 1996 in the suffix F transfer boxes. In fact the only difference between the suffix E box (which I have) and the suffix F box is the cross-drilled gear. I fitted Land Rovers quick fix for this, a sort of top hat made of alloy. Cost too much money, but it seems to have worked because I am now at 270k kilos with no clonks at all, at least, no clonks from there ha ha.

Bang in some nails... brilliant! I should have thought of that.

Ok, just kidding. :lol:

My gearbox is good with just a little clunking going on. I think it has many more miles in it yet before it needs a tear down. Just thought a new gear would slow down the wear and get me ever more miles, but yes, I see the point about mixing old and new parts.

Suppose I should pull the cover off and see just what is in there now. Engine and gearbox came out of a '96 Defender, so for all I know there could be a cross drilled gear in there already.

Thanks

Brett