44/42 inch tyres but what axles!

russ1

Am I right in thining that the main difference between Dana 60 and Dana 44 (i.e. Land Rover Sallisbury) is the size of bolts holding the crownwheel on to the diff centre? Or, are the CW & P's significantly different?

I've been told that Jag diffs are D60? Although I've not counted the splines on the inners - they do look pretty chunky. Assuming that is the case, I'm surprised they are not used more often. The UJ's used are about 5" across (and actually the same as some New Holland PTO shafts). The best bit is - they are cheap! My two rear axles cost £200 and although I'm using them in an indi setup, I did consider just making a rigid, but open framed beam axle with the diff centre raised to give similar clearance under the diff as portals would give. If the Indi thing turns out to be a bad idea - that's what they will become!

Need to find myself some D44/D60 ARB's some time!

Si

the 90 is only a truck am using for bits and bobs. The new truck is been based on a 100inch chassis

My truck started as a 110 then chopped 10" out of middle and then moved the front axle 5" forward, moved engine back aswell so it will be better weight distribution,Why a 110? had a 94 plate rolling chassis lying about,

Carl.

My truck started as a 110 then chopped 10" out of middle and then moved the front axle 5" forward, moved engine back aswell so it will be better weight distribution,Why a 110? had a 94 plate rolling chassis lying about,

Carl.

Carl, surely that makes it a 105", and I didnt call you Shirley.

Am I right in thining that the main difference between Dana 60 and Dana 44 (i.e. Land Rover Sallisbury) is the size of bolts holding the crownwheel on to the diff centre? Or, are the CW & P's significantly different?

I've been told that Jag diffs are D60? Although I've not counted the splines on the inners - they do look pretty chunky. Assuming that is the case, I'm surprised they are not used more often. The UJ's used are about 5" across (and actually the same as some New Holland PTO shafts). The best bit is - they are cheap! My two rear axles cost £200 and although I'm using them in an indi setup, I did consider just making a rigid, but open framed beam axle with the diff centre raised to give similar clearance under the diff as portals would give. If the Indi thing turns out to be a bad idea - that's what they will become!

Si

Have a look at this page Si,dana decoded.

Raises some interesting questions as to what the landrove salisbury is based on as rovers have 10.5" ring gear which makes it a dana 70 center section.

Si

Simon, the D44 diffs are smaller in every way except axle diameter in most cases when compared to a D60.Most D60's have 30spline axles similar to 44's but larger diameter 35 spline shafts were available on some models.

Jag diffs are D44 size. As you already know the large UJ's are due to the halfshaft doubling as the suspensions upper control arm and must cope with sideloadsin addition to transmitting drive.

Re 9'' Fords, these were fitted to the rear of F100's. F250's were fitted with D60's, and D70's were fitted with D70's. Most D60's and some D70's have only 2 pinion carriers.The heavy duty 4 pinion carrier which is optional is virtually identical to the 4 pinion carrier fitted standard in the LandRover Salisbury diff!

Standard 9'' ford diff centre housings and carriers are made from poor quality grey cast iron, and it is the weakness of this casting that often lets the side down, I've seen complete pinion and bearing units ripped right out of the centre, still attached to the propshafts. Pinion straddle bearing support failures are also common as are failures of limited slip castings.All these failures occurred on vehicles running tyres no larger than 33''.All these faults can be addressed with high performance Nodular iron castings, but at great expense.

Any UK enthusiasts contemplating D60's could do a lot worse than getting hold of a pair of LR 101 FC Salisbury axle assemblies. IMO these are superior in strength to any standard D60, and the closed knuckle (swivel housings) design is easier to maintain than the 60's open knuckle particularly on trucks that tend to operate in deep mud etc.

Bill.

• 3 weeks later...