Nut,bolts washers

mmgemini

I wonder how many of you have used these 8.8 metric bolts???

I find that they're krap.Carrots are stronger.I'm not refering to the little 6/8 mm ones but the 10/12 mm ones.They snap when trying to remove them..

I much prefered the old "S"s and "T" grade UNF stuff.

Another point.

Why use HT bolts with a mild steel nut???

Or should that be a mild steel nut with HT bolts. LOL

I eat rat poison

mike

I can cause trouble in an empty house !!

Another point.

Why use HT bolts with a mild steel nut???

Or should that be a mild steel nut with HT bolts. LOL

Perhaps HT bolts are good in shear too. Only the bolt will be stressed, not the nut.

Do you find the bolts are breaking? Perhaps you just don't know your own strength? :)

Chris

I'm not refering to the little 6/8 mm ones but the 10/12 mm ones.They snap when trying to remove them.

I was thinking of a nut fitted to the bolt for a towing hitch.

Perhaps you should be specifying bigger (M16?) bolts? :P

Not being much help am I? ;)

Chris

we have some large 30'x6' vibratory conveyers in work , which reguallry sheds m16 8.8s (around 120 bolts in machine) we allways tourqe them up correct , but they still fail , never ever caused by the m 16mild steel nyloc nuts failing

we have even tryed using very expensive titanium bolts but they still failed

I think you'll find the nuts are high tensile steel too. According to my supplier none of the larger manufacturers make mild steel nuts. The ones I sell have a small 8 stamped on them.

If they're snapping when you remove them it will be because the nut has seized on to the bolt, otherwise the nut would turn first!

Wellafter all these years working in the motor industery I think I know which way to turn the thing.LOL

I'm finding a lot of the 8.8 bolts do shear.Especially when used with captive or welded nuts.

What suprises me is that I fing the just shear.No sort of warning where you can back off and retry after adding some lubricant.

I eat rat poison

mike

I can cause trouble in am empty house !!!

Simple fact:

Nuts should be rated to the same grade or higher than the bolt they are to be used with.

Also, at least one full turn of the threads of the bolt should project through the nut to mobilise the full nut strength.

If bolts are breaking regularly then the connection is poorly designed or is being subjected to loads beyond its design parameters. In the case of the machine it may be fatigue in the bolts.

Simple fact:

Nuts should be rated to the same grade or higher than the bolt they are to be used with.

Also, at least one full turn of the threads of the bolt should project through the nut to mobilise the full nut strength.

If bolts are breaking regularly then the connection is poorly designed or is being subjected to loads beyond its design parameters. In the case of the machine it may be fatigue in the bolts.

So Land Rover aren't fitting the correct bolt is what your saying?

I eat rat poison

mike

I can cause trouble in an empty house.

The amount of thread protruding is really only a guide - 1 turn or 1.5 turns or 5 turns is neither here nor there as long as all the threads of the nut are engaged on the bolt. It is just easy to say 1 turn or whatever to ensure all the threads are engaged.

So Land Rover aren't fitting the correct bolt is what your saying?

Where did I say that??? :blink:

we have some large 30'x6' vibratory conveyers in work , which reguallry sheds m16 8.8s (around 120 bolts in machine) we allways tourqe them up correct , but they still fail , never ever caused by the m 16mild steel nyloc nuts failing

we have even tryed using very expensive titanium bolts but they still failed

With vibratory conveyors, screens etc. it is best to tighten the bolts to the yield point. The bolts designed for tightening to yield have larger heads and nuts than normal.

When tightening to yield, use of a specified tightening torque is generally not acceptable (not accurate enough due to friction). The part turn method works much better.

The bolts should not break or loosen if tightened to yield. If they do then there is something fundamentally wrong with the design.

Huck Bolts are best for this type of equipment. Correct pre-load is ensured, they take less time to install and tension than normal bolts and will never loosen.

Downsides of Huck Bolts are:

1. The cost of the tightening tool, (but these can be hired when required). The tool is hydraulic and stretches the bolt before crimping the nut onto the threads (actually a series of parallel grooves, not a helical thread). The part of the bolt that protrudes through the nut (that the tool grips) breaks off similar to a very large pop

rivet.

2.They can not be undone - have to use cut the nut off to remove them. Although washers are not required with Huck Bolts, always use a flat washer on the side that will be cut if they have to be removed with a gas axe (this will save gouging into the machine).

The amount of thread protruding is really only a guide - 1 turn or 1.5 turns or 5 turns is neither here nor there as long as all the threads of the nut are engaged on the bolt. It is just easy to say 1 turn or whatever to ensure all the threads are engaged.

Where did I say that??? :blink:

Well it's Land Rover OE that I keep breaking.LOL

I eat rat poison

mike

I can cause trouble in an empty house !!!