D11 Aircon problem

nicks90

Coming home yesterday from a nice weekend away - twas rather warm, so i banged the aircon on "Lo" and set it to max.

really wanted to feel the chill while all the non aircon equiped motors on the M1 sweated and suffered. :P

anyway, all worked like a dream and the disco was icy cold. Even fancied putting a jumper on it was that chilly!

got home and pottered about the garden for a bit and then had to pop out to the shops - no aircon..... well it was colder than the ambient air outside, but we're talking slightly cool rather than icy cold.

Any ideas why it might have been working fine for about 3 hours and then after being left for an hour or two suddenly stop working?

Where should i be checking - and how - for leaks and if i find a leak and can repair it myself, are those re-gassing kits from halfrauds any good?

cheers folks,

Nick

[edited to say - 2000 td5 D2 manual)

Mine packed up this year, not cold enough.

TD5 year 2000 disco.

At work we do AC so after a chat we popped to halfords and bought said aerosol for a try.

Topped up as instructions and works fine now.

It is said that the ali pipes on vehicle aircon systems are very slightly porous with the refrigerant gas so let out a little each year til you need a top up.

Sounds like motor manufacturers to me, why use copper (impervious) when you can use ali and charge for a top up every few years.

I believe they have a pressure switch fitted when the refrigerant pressure drops below a certain level it completely switches the system off, so it's probably just dropped below.

You can either just pop in to an aircon place who will diagnose and top it up for you, kwikfit guarantee to make it cooler but I wouldn't trust them

I believe they have a pressure switch fitted when the refrigerant pressure drops below a certain level it completely switches the system off, so it's probably just dropped below.

Correct. It is the most common cause of aircon "failure" - the switch disables the mag clutch if there is not enough juice in the plumbing, so you don't fritz the compressor. The easy thing to do is watch/listen and see if you can hear the mag clutch engage when you switch the aircon on. If not, that's why there is no cold air :)

!!DOH!!

went to the car this morning and thought "lets clear out all this rubbish and empty cans from the weekend".

took both empty cans out of the cup holder on the dash and cleared all the other debris away and then started her up to go to work.

the aircon was on "economy"..........

looks like when we pulled up at the house, our lass had put her can in the holder before i turned the motor off and caught the Econ button.

Aircon is now working fine :lol: