10 spline or 24 spline diffs?

Just a quickie, what landrover vehicles have 24spline diffs?

I'm led to believe that my 90 is on 24 spline, and after busting a front diff at KORC this weekend I'm in the market for a replacement..... :rolleyes: and wondered which landy's had the 24 spline versions out of the factory? and also do all the military ones have 24 spline diffs?

Thanks in advance!

Pretty much anything with a 300tdi in it will have 24spline diffs (Disco, Defender or RRC).

Some late 200tdi's also had 24's but the early ones have 10 splines. Not sure when the actual change over period way though.

P38 Range rovers have a different type of diff, so not interchangeable IIRC.

Dan :)

Edit to add:

However... 300tdi disco rear diff had a big donut rather than a UJ, therefore you can't use that unless you change the flange.

Also, until recently, a 110 rear diff will be of the Salisbury variety, and therefore no use to you.

Yup, what Dan said.

Also, the ONY way (other than pulling the diffs themselves!) to confirm what diffs you have is to pull a rear half shaft and look at the diff end.

Despite what some people may say, you cannot tell from the drive flange end.

I think you will find that ex-MOD vehicles also have them as standard whatever the age. My 1986 90 was fitted with them F&R but whether it left the factory like that or they were replaced in-service I couldn't tell (it wasn't done after being cast as I bought it direct). The really odd thing is that when replacing the drive-flange & seal recently it turned out that is 4-spline which is apparently very unusual for a 24-spline unit as normally the drive-flange is 24-spline as well, certainly it confused me when ordering the new parts.

When I fitted Disco rear-axle I retained my 24-spline diff & halfshafts and fitted them into the disc-braked casing.

When I fitted Disco rear-axle I retained my 24-spline diff & halfshafts and fitted them into the disc-braked casing.

Just so you understand the Disco 24 spline shafts are substantially weaker than the 24 spline shafts that were on the 90 "HD" axle.

Just so you understand the Disco 24 spline shafts are substantially weaker than the 24 spline shafts that were on the 90 "HD" axle.

The Disco diff & 1-piece halfshafts were 10-spline, I retained the 24-spline diff & (2-piece) halfshafts out of the original 90 axle and fitted them into the disc-braked casing.

The Disco diff & 1-piece halfshafts were 10-spline, I retained the 24-spline diff & (2-piece) halfshafts out of the original 90 axle and fitted them into the disc-braked casing.

Really? And the length of the shafts was OK? That is really interesting as it sounds like a good and simple way to change to disc brakes. Too bad there are no early (10 spline) Discos here.