Axle for overland trailer

henk

I am looking to build a kind of overland trailer.

First criteria is that it should have same tyres and rims as the car (= Def 90)

What kind of axle could I use for such project ?

Henk

A while back we made an axle up for a guy and all it was made up from was a 90 axle with drum brakes and i cut the end flages off,machined them true and welded to a tube so it used L/R rims and had cable for the brakes,used coils and trailing arms, simple but worked well,

Carl.

A while back we made an axle up for a guy and all it was made up from was a 90 axle with drum brakes and i cut the end flages off,machined them true and welded to a tube so it used L/R rims and had cable for the brakes,used coils and trailing arms, simple but worked well,

Carl.

I have a front axle from a Belgian 4x2 LR that has a straight tube of about 4 inch thick between the flanges but that seems to be a bit overkill....

If you want the same tyres and wheels, go the whole hog and share wheel bearings, brakes and even carry a spare diff & half shafts by using a 90 or RR/Disco back axle.

Having half-shafts and a diff. in it would add a lot of weight and drag to the trailer.

Use a 90/RR/Disco back axle without a diff. or half-shafts and plate over the diff. hole.

If you use decent drive flanges and hub caps to seal the hubs/axle tube, these could be used as spares for the towing vehicle.

Paul.

Having half-shafts and a diff. in it would add a lot of weight and drag to the trailer.

Granted it adds a bit, but then carrying those items as spares (should you want to) also adds weight and takes up space. Tucked under a trailer the CoG is low and they're using wasted space whilst being protected from the elements. Easy enough to pull the shafts and replace the diff with a blanking plate if you don't need them. I see little point in fabricating a replacement tube to bolt Rover stub axles to, after all using an axle casing it will have exactly the same ground clearance as the tow vehicle. They're also reasonably light when empty.

Don't use rubber suspension units for an overland trailer. They don't stand the pace. Go for old fashioned leaf springs.

You're not in the UK are you.

The use of car components for trailers was outlawed many years ago.

I would go for a tubed axle whth labd rover type drum brakes and hubs.

mike

Granted it adds a bit, but then carrying those items as spares (should you want to) also adds weight and takes up space. Tucked under a trailer the CoG is low and they're using wasted space whilst being protected from the elements.

Granted, if you're carrying spares, the trailer's axle is an excellent place to carry a spare diff. Although, I still wouldn't have half-shafts in the axle - I was thinking that the effort required to turn the diff. would add to the trailer's rolling resistance, increasing fuel consumption. It could also put wear on your spare crown wheel and pinion gears, but I suppose you could always fit free-wheeling hubs to the trailer :D

Easy enough to pull the shafts and replace the diff with a blanking plate if you don't need them.

That's what I was suggesting :P

I see little point in fabricating a replacement tube to bolt Rover stub axles to, after all using an axle casing it will have exactly the same ground clearance as the tow vehicle. They're also reasonably light when empty.

Yeah, the point of that puzzled me as well :unsure:

Paul.

What you want is a solid axle tube. These come in a few differant styles . As you want a off road one then you need a 45 mm tube one.

I have this on my off road camper trailer which then has Land rover style hubs. As my trailer is not over 750kg then it does not need to have brakes so it does not but you can get hubs with Drum brakes or disc brakes with the land rover stud pattern .

straight.gif

They run Ford or Vauxhall wheel bearsing. . But the advantage with this is there is less weight and less moving parts under the trailer, and less to get hit un the trailer . Al Ko is the biggest supplier of these items . Do kits that you can make up what you want, with or with out brakes (drum and Disc ) Also beam and indipendant surpensions.

Here is my trailer

Resized640x480_tonys20shots20dads20.jpg

They do lots of differant types for differnat weights and applications

40mm Square 1000 kg LM

45mm Round 1200 kg Slimline

45mm Square 1450 kg Slimline

45mm Square 1500 kg 1.5 tonne

45mm Square 1600 kg Parrallel

50mm Round 1450 kg Slimline

50mm Square 1450 kg Slimline

50mm Square 1500 kg 1.5 tonne

50mm Square 1600 kg Parrallel

50mm Square 2000 kg 2.0 tonne

56mm Round 2000 kg 2.0 tonne

60mm Round (tube) 1400 kg Slimline

63mm Square 3000 kg 3.0 tonne

65mm Round 2500 kg 2.0 tonne

75mm Round 3500 kg 3.0 tonne

* Brake mounting flange can be fitted upon request to suit your brake requirements

Also do differant lengths of axles for wider trailers

i'd be tempted to slap in a series axle - as it has leaf spring pads etc already on the axle tube and you can use series leafs / parabolics. Super reliable and strong and can be fixed by any one anywhere in the world.

you could still carry a spare diff in the casing as well. But i wouldnt run them with halfshafts to reduce rolling resistance - as said above. To seal the axle ends, get a couple of mushroom ended 10 spline imperial drive shafts and cut the shafts off leaving the mushroom top and bolt them on!

so not only is it strong and simple and you have a spare diff - you also have a spare diff pan to cut off and weld onto one of your axles if the worst does happen!

What you want is a solid axle tube. These come in a few differant styles . As you want a off road one then you need a 45 mm tube one.

I have this on my off road camper trailer which then has Land rover style hubs. As my trailer is not over 750kg then it does not need to have brakes so it does not but you can get hubs with Drum brakes or disc brakes with the land rover stud pattern .

straight.gif

They run Ford or Vauxhall wheel bearsing. . But the advantage with this is there is less weight and less moving parts under the trailer, and less to get hit un the trailer . Al Ko is the biggest supplier of these items . Do kits that you can make up what you want, with or with out brakes (drum and Disc ) Also beam and indipendant surpensions.

Here is my trailer

Resized640x480_tonys20shots20dads20.jpg

They do lots of differant types for differnat weights and applications

40mm Square 1000 kg LM

45mm Round 1200 kg Slimline

45mm Square 1450 kg Slimline

45mm Square 1500 kg 1.5 tonne

45mm Square 1600 kg Parrallel

50mm Round 1450 kg Slimline

50mm Square 1450 kg Slimline

50mm Square 1500 kg 1.5 tonne

50mm Square 1600 kg Parrallel

50mm Square 2000 kg 2.0 tonne

56mm Round 2000 kg 2.0 tonne

60mm Round (tube) 1400 kg Slimline

63mm Square 3000 kg 3.0 tonne

65mm Round 2500 kg 2.0 tonne

75mm Round 3500 kg 3.0 tonne

* Brake mounting flange can be fitted upon request to suit your brake requirements

Also do differant lengths of axles for wider trailers

Thanks for the info.

I do not see these axles on the AL-KO website in Europe but I contacted them to see what is possible

Henk