Kumho KL71s - opinions please

pongo

I am looking to replace my BFG muds. I know everyone seems to love them, but I have to confess to being underwhelmed by their performance - not great in the wet on road, and not particularly brilliant off road either.

I am considering KL71s. Looked around at Billing, and having looked at several contenders I thought these might be just the ticket. I am mostly on mud, greensand and wealden clay. I would appreciate opinions on their performance.

Thanks.

Sorry folks, I have just done a search (I know, should have done it first) and found some good feedback on these.

They are popular here due to the low price but in terms of performance I have heard users say everything from "awful" to "the next best thing to tractor tyres" so it would be fair to say that opinions differ :rolleyes:

They do seem to wear quite quickly so I would stick with BFGs personally. If you want to get much better than that you are into the territory of tyres that will rapidly wear out their welcome when on road (noise/handling), I speak from experience of having made that mistake fitting Special Tracks :)

not great in the wet on road,

Going by the test in LRW the KL71's came second to last in braking on tarmac, IIRC stopping about a metre further along at the relatively low speed of 30mph. So given this, I doubt they'd be an improvement over BFG here.

As for them not performing off road - in comparison to what though? What pressures were you running them at?

If you want good on road handling combined with good off road handling you'll find it hard to beat the BFG. Pick something better all round off road and it won't be great on road and vice versa in my opinion.

Cheers

Steve

Going by the test in LRW the KL71's came second to last in braking on tarmac, IIRC stopping about a metre further along at the relatively low speed of 30mph. So given this, I doubt they'd be an improvement over BFG here.

As for them not performing off road - in comparison to what though? What pressures were you running them at?

If you want good on road handling combined with good off road handling you'll find it hard to beat the BFG. Pick something better all round off road and it won't be great on road and vice versa in my opinion.

Cheers

Steve

Hello Steve,

I have been running BFG MT 255/85/16s for several years, and have experimented with tyre pressures both on and off road. I rate them as good on road in the dry, adequate in the wet, with the odd "oops" moment as they let go. But in the mud, again with pressures varying from 20psi up, I have found them wanting. I don't run lower pressures as I haven't got bead locks. As many people say, it comes down to your use profile. I know they are great for high mileage, but I am doing far fewer road miles now than I was, so want something more off-road biased, but without going mad. I have considered Mickey Thompsons, but they want all the money (and before anyone says, I don't want to go the route of Simex or similar). But keep the opinions coming, all good grist to the mill. The decider might be that I cannot find anyone with KL71s in the size I want. Due in soon......

im running kl71s and i think there really good compared to bfg muds (that my old man runs and i use to) really good on road and as for wear mine are still like new at about 7k miles the only prob is there sizes i would like to replace them with 35s as they seam tobe undersized quite abit (mine measure 31.8") but as far as im aware there not available overhear in this size yet but am lead to believe that as there coming more popular they might be on there way soon as in the states there available in a huge range of sizes even up 2 a 22" wheel

i am in a simillar situation to you and i think there is a gap in the market that isnt currently catered for.

You can get road tyres, mild AT, aggressive AT, mild muds, general everyday muds (bfg etc) and then it goes straight to mega extreme muds. Wheres the mid ground between the BFG, Cooper, Macho type mud terrains and the simex-alikes?

i dont want a run of the mill MT, as like you i want something a little bit meatier and find normal MTs a bit too tame. But I cant live with a bonkers extreme tyre like the special track or recipe 3D - cos i do use it on the road and want some modicum of safety when using it for work or picking up my little one from nursery.

So what to go for without spending a fortune on mickeyT's etc???

I really like my machos, much better than the bfgs and bridgestones i had before - but still not quite 'there' in terms of capability. If they did a version with slightly wider gaps i would be proper happy...

The size range is limited but have a look at the Maxxis Mudzilla, I have those and they are MUCH quieter than Simex pattern tyres, have only used them a couple of times off road but first impressions are that they are much better than normal MT's, though it may depend on the type of terrain you are using them in, they certainly work well here. The only complaint I have is that they are impossible to balance though a set of tyre beads will shortly be ordered to try and get around the problem.

The last off roader that i was driving around in the Uk when i was there back in May ran a set of Kumho tyres on it , on fact was sponsered by them.

PICT0236.jpg

PICT0146.jpg

While i was there i meet the Europe manger of Kumho. He told us they were really chasing the off road market with some good tyres and i know they work with bowler and made the tyres for the bowler Nemisis. So can't imagine them being too bad

im in the same position. really like the look of the kl71 but unfortunately it's the range of sizes that puts me in a tight spot.

1250 wide tyres in a 33 are far too wide for putting on my discovery in my opinion, so I'll have to go with 285/75R16, but 16inch tyres cost more than 15 inch models :angry2:

if only BFG werent the only company to make a 255/85. I wish there was a more modestly priced alternative

I have 235/85/16 KL71s on my 200Tdi Disco and love them. £106 each supplied and fitted next day by Protyre in Slough. Apparently they are imported into the UK by Mitcheldever group who own Protyre and www.4site4x4.co.uk. I believe they are currently available in:

* 215/75 R15 106Q

* 235/75 R15 104Q

* 30X9.50 R15 104Q

* 31X10.5 15 109Q

* 32x11.50 R15 113Q

* 33X12.5 15 108Q

* 35x12.50 R15 113Q

* 305/70 R16 124Q

* 225/75 R16 110Q

* 245/75 R16 120Q

* 265/75 R16 119Q

* 285/75 R16 126Q

* 205 R16 104Q

* 235/85 R16 120Q

* 265/70 R17 112Q

* 195R15 100Q

When I got mine, they were unable to tell me when they would be available in the UK, I just had to ring every week until they appeared on their system.

I find them great for my mix of mainly commuting to work (50 mile round trip) and occasional off roading and towing heavy trailers both on and off road.

Yes, 4x4site, Micheldever and Southam are all the same company as far as I can tell. The 285 75 16s are on order and I just have to keep ringing to see if they're in. Frustrating when the cash is there, burning...burning....