traction control and hill descent warning lights

Steph

I'm worried.

Driving this evening (on normal roads) and the traction control and hill descent yellow warning lights came one. They both stayed lit for about 10-15 seconds and then went off.

Then later they both came on again and stayed on for 30 seconds. I stopped the car and switched off the ignition, then restarted the car and they didn't light again. Then drove home another few miles without them coming on again.

Is this very bad news?

Testbook is the Land Rover diagnostic computer system, which plugs in and reads the fault codes off a vehicle. A fault code is stored when a vehicle ECU detects a fault on its system, and should pick up an intermittent problem of the type which makes a warning light come on and then disappear even if the vehicle currently seems OK.

Testbook/T4/IDS are the main franchised dealer systems, a good independent garage may have Autologic/Rovacom system which will do the same and be cheaper in labour :)

The chances are you will need a new wheel speed sensor fitted, which is not an uncommon problem on any ABS system, but the fault codes in the vehicle ECU should tell the mechanic what is wrong. Anybody who says they can fix it without a computer is just guessing! They might get it right but it might take a few expensive goes first...

There's a slight possibility, I understand, that this could be caused by dirt obstructing the ABS sensor, giving the impression of a fulaty sensor. I may be misinformed (boy, I often am) but when (if) it occurs again it would be worth giving it a good powerwash and seeing if it does the trick.

Cheers

Blippie

I had the same problem a few weeks ago i.e. the hill descent, ABS and TC lights coming on and off. A few days later, the lights just stayed on. Then things start happening like speedometer fails, air-con fails. Sent it to the workshop and they found one of the wheel-sensor wire eventually breaking off. Once reconnected, everything was fine.

Thanks for the replies- very helpful.

It's happened a couple more times recently. I've found that if I press the brake pedal and then release it that the lights immediately go out.

I'll try giving it a good power wash and see what happens.

Thanks again. You've reassured me - it may be something trivial rather than something very expensive.

I love my freelander but i bought it in February and since then prices have tumbled around here (meaning I paid several thousand more than I would have if I'd bought it a few months later) and I've just had to spend over £400 having it repaired - injector failed. Wouldn't be good news if this was another expensive problem!

Thanks again!

• 1 month later...
I had the same problem a few weeks ago i.e. the hill descent, ABS and TC lights coming on and off. A few days later, the lights just stayed on. Then things start happening like speedometer fails, air-con fails. Sent it to the workshop and they found one of the wheel-sensor wire eventually breaking off. Once reconnected, everything was fine.

Hi Sir! Do you mind telling me where I could find the wheel sensor? I think I have the same problem you had but unfortunately were not lucky to have a test book here. Cheers!

Thanks