Fly by wire pump tp standard 300 Tdi

keithjh

Hi All,

On my Disco 96 300 tdi it has a fly by wire injector pump, i would like to change it to a standard cable one, main reason easier to get hold of, and easier to tweak (read cheaper). I know people have done it, so basically what do i need other than a pump and a throttle cable.

Forgot to add its an Auto

Regards

Keith

I did mine awhile ago, but from memory, you will need either the injection pipes from the non EDC engine or to change the 4 unions on the rear of the pump over from the EDC pump to the Non-EDC pump (careful when doing this as there are loose bits that fall out).

You will also need a pin/bolt to hold the cable to the throttle arm at the pump end. I am guessing it's an auto so you will need a longer pin/bolt at the throttle pedal end to take both the kickdown cable and the throttle cable.

You will need the boost pipe that runs from the turbo to the injection pump. I have fitted a second return spring to the throttle arm on the injection pump to make sure it closes properly.

Only other thing I can think of is that you will need to identfy the stop solenoid wire in the white multi-plug or run a new ignition controlled wire.

Oh and make sure the Non-edc pump comes with the throttle cable bracket on the back.

I would also recommend getting a cambelt kit and replacing the crankshaft seal and the timing cover dust seal whilst you have it all apart.

Sorry no part numbers for any of the bits.

HTH

Pete.

I did mine awhile ago, but from memory, you will need either the injection pipes from the non EDC engine or to change the 4 unions on the rear of the pump over from the EDC pump to the Non-EDC pump (careful when doing this as there are loose bits that fall out).

You will also need a pin/bolt to hold the cable to the throttle arm at the pump end. I am guessing it's an auto so you will need a longer pin/bolt at the throttle pedal end to take both the kickdown cable and the throttle cable.

You will need the boost pipe that runs from the turbo to the injection pump. I have fitted a second return spring to the throttle arm on the injection pump to make sure it closes properly.

Only other thing I can think of is that you will need to identfy the stop solenoid wire in the white multi-plug or run a new ignition controlled wire.

Oh and make sure the Non-edc pump comes with the throttle cable bracket on the back.

I would also recommend getting a cambelt kit and replacing the crankshaft seal and the timing cover dust seal whilst you have it all apart.

Sorry no part numbers for any of the bits.

HTH

Pete.

Hi ,

Thanks for the reply, did the cambelt kit recently so thats okay.

Did you change any of the injectors? especially no 4 the one with the electrical feed.

Regards

Keith

Thanks - I didn't ask the question but did want to know if the injectors needed to be changed. We have a client who would like a tdi that doesn't take half an hour to start.

My experience with the EDC model was that it either started instantly or not at all, it started a lot faster and with less smoke than any manual fip Discovery I have used. The problem I had was when it didn't want to start it just wouldn't. I traced that down to the starter drawing too much current which stopped the FIP getting enough to squirt fuel in. Starter Reconditioned and all earths cleaned up fixed that.