90" 2.4 Puma

Looking to trade td5 in for a new 2.4 and was wanting feedback from users on the new engine / gear box as well as new dash / heating system / a/c.

Is everything ok with these new vechiles, any teathing problems?

Good or bad, all comments welcome.

Pete

Guest WALFY
Looking to trade td5 in for a new 2.4 and was wanting feedback from users on the new engine / gear box as well as new dash / heating system / a/c.

Pete

Pete

I have a Puma 90XS. Got just about 10k on the clock now. Never driven a TD5 so can't compare but the heater is better than any other car I've had. The aircon really cools the interior down.

1st gear is a little bit redundant, as in as soon as you pull away you are already grabbing for second, cruises very nicely at 82mph on a long road (in France ;) ). Seats are comfortable, just done a 2k trip to France with mine and all was fine.

Only prob with mine was a leak in the rear but now sorted,I think. I haven't checked under the rear carpet after all this rain we've had the last couple of days. Loose prop bolts, sorted by dealer.

Apart from that I'm very happy with it. You could pop over to Defender2 site and have a look see over there. Lots of good info avail. I'm sure Tim (TJ101) will be along shortly, but he's got a barge variant :P but will still offer sound advice.

HTH

Pete

Hello Pete and welcome to LR4x4. The new model Defender has received quite a bit of attention and comment here already, for example

Click here

here

here

here

If you want more then try typing 'Puma' into the search option which you will find just below and to the right of the LR4x4 logo at the top of the page.

There is absolutely no comparison between the two heating systems - the Puma is 10x better. The first time I drove a Puma I was far too hot within about 2 min of setting off!

My impression of the engine was that it didn't feel that lively from a standing start but just keeps on pulling through the gears so is really effortless to drive. Like all Land Rovers the gearboxes vary from quite nice to not very nice depending on the vehicle. Low range throttle response is a bit "two paddles in a vat of custard" (much like the Td5) but I suppose you get used to it though I don't think I would ever "like" it. First gear high is nice and low and there is SO much torque that low range would not be needed for many off road conditions especially as the anti stall is absolutely brilliant, unlike the Td5!

In short, if a meteorite fell on my 300Tdi, I'd get a Puma now. I would not have bought a Td5.

There is absolutely no comparison between the two heating systems - the Puma is 10x better. The first time I drove a Puma I was far too hot within about 2 min of setting off!

My impression of the engine was that it didn't feel that lively from a standing start but just keeps on pulling through the gears so is really effortless to drive. Like all Land Rovers the gearboxes vary from quite nice to not very nice depending on the vehicle. Low range throttle response is a bit "two paddles in a vat of custard" (much like the Td5) but I suppose you get used to it though I don't think I would ever "like" it. First gear high is nice and low and there is SO much torque that low range would not be needed for many off road conditions especially as the anti stall is absolutely brilliant, unlike the Td5!

In short, if a meteorite fell on my 300Tdi, I'd get a Puma now. I would not have bought a Td5.

Hey everyone, im with Boghead on the Slugness of the Puma, it does do it's job amazingly off road, and had no problems at all with it just yet, it's got 13.000 on the clock ( service at 15.000 ). However mine has had a re-map and pulls like some kind of stupid dog after a bone.

We had this sluggish problem when pulling away when we first started using this engine in transit vans, almost like a turbo lag. We had to recalibrate the ECU to rectify the problem. I am suprised LR have not come to the same end to sort this problem. Have you mentioned this to the supplying dealer? I know that things like this are not rectified by most vehicle dealers unless the customer complains because we very rarely make money from warranty work... :(

I had a Td5 90 and now have a Puma (albeit 110). A world apart!

The Puma's interior actually makes a difference (and to think I was nervous of all that refinement). The aircon and heating absolutely work. In fact, I don't even think about them - unlike before. Heating is much better and faster and aircon actually cools the cab rather than merely freezing the passenger's knee. Nice to have a rev counter as well.

Only issues/complaints so far are that I get a bit of clonking in the transmission on over-run when it's properly warm (think it might be to do with the handbrake); I was expecting to feel more power - however, as said above, it actually just profiles differently and is much more usable; and I don't get the same fuel economy as I used to (although some of that is probably down to the 110 vs 90 weight difference).

Completely happy with the Puma. Wouldn't go back to the Td5 now (gone are the days of feeling like I'm bending the gearstick whilst searching for a gear). Obviously I'm still attracted to the simple, non electrically dependent 300 tdi but they're getting on now. Puma is a definite step forward.

I had a Td5 90 and now have a Puma (albeit 110). A world apart!

The Puma's interior actually makes a difference (and to think I was nervous of all that refinement). The aircon and heating absolutely work. In fact, I don't even think about them - unlike before. Heating is much better and faster and aircon actually cools the cab rather than merely freezing the passenger's knee. Nice to have a rev counter as well.

Only issues/complaints so far are that I get a bit of clonking in the transmission on over-run when it's properly warm (think it might be to do with the handbrake); I was expecting to feel more power - however, as said above, it actually just profiles differently and is much more usable; and I don't get the same fuel economy as I used to (although some of that is probably down to the 110 vs 90 weight difference).

Completely happy with the Puma. Wouldn't go back to the Td5 now (gone are the days of feeling like I'm bending the gearstick whilst searching for a gear). Obviously I'm still attracted to the simple, non electrically dependent 300 tdi but they're getting on now. Puma is a definite step forward.

Hey I get that same clonking noise, and im pretty sure it's not the handbrake. This is mostly due to the fact that I have replaced it with a X-Eng one, is it allot better as a handbrake. And I still get the clonk. It feels like something large knocking against something else that is also large...

Not the props as these are the GW lewis challenger kit

Hey I get that same clonking noise, and im pretty sure it's not the handbrake. This is mostly due to the fact that I have replaced it with a X-Eng one, is it allot better as a handbrake. And I still get the clonk. It feels like something large knocking against something else that is also large...

Not the props as these are the GW lewis challenger kit

I thought about the handbrake because when coasting to a stop (clutch in or no gear) I pull on the handbrake and the clunking gets much worse. It then stops (as if the out of line bit is now in line) and is reduced for the next several miles.

I was thinking of getting an X-brake to fix it but that now doesn't sound like the solution. Might still get one though - but only once I've got LR to fix whatever the problem is so they don't claim it is my fault.

I thought about the handbrake because when coasting to a stop (clutch in or no gear) I pull on the handbrake and the clunking gets much worse. It then stops (as if the out of line bit is now in line) and is reduced for the next several miles.

I was thinking of getting an X-brake to fix it but that now doesn't sound like the solution. Might still get one though - but only once I've got LR to fix whatever the problem is so they don't claim it is my fault.

Actually, you are right it is the exhaust clanking against the hand break drum as I don't get it now. the reason for my confusion is because the clanking I get is a different one now. You know when you drive a defender you are always wondering what al those noises are. Over run clonk when changing gear has now gone.

Also I remember having to un bolt the exhaust to remove the drum because there was less than an inch between the box and drum, and the noise only happened when there was some slight deceleration whilst changing gear. Fit an X-Breake and it will go away.

post-4517-1217838990_thumb.jpg