Making a home made snorkel

kudlinski

I am the proud new owner of a 200tdi disco which i have bought for a bit of an off road project. As im a cheap skate im going to make a snorkel myself. I have used the search on this site and now have loads of good ideas. However, the only area im not sure of is how do i attach the snorkel tube to the side of the windscreen? I will be using drain pipe if this makes any difference?

Cheers all

The way dad did it was to drill a ~5mm hole in the gutter, loop a cable tie through that and then join it to one round the pipe. Surprisingly sturdy, yet if you really clout it the cable tie will ping rather than the bodywork taking damage.

careful with the choice of pipe, we had a homemade one on a previous car, the tube material was similiar to the grey drainpipe stuff you may be using - beware it can be quite brittle, ours shattered within 10 mins after hacking through a forest of overhanging branches:) didnt do much for the headlight glass, windscreen and bumper for that matter ::)

• 1 year later...

hi kudlinski,

http://www.lro.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=47225

a link to the one i made recently, i got the flexi tube in boston which is only about 30 miles from you, and i'm sure they'd do solid tubing as well, they also do breather tubing and connectors if you want to also do the breather tubes for wading properly. i used a bit of 2.5" exhaust pipe to go up the windscreen and just welded some angle brackets to it then pop riveted it to the pillar, metal tubing is far more substantial than plastic piping when getting whacked by branches etc. if you do take a trip up to boston for your bits then the firm you want is tfm supplies, it's a hydraulic engineers shop. if you fancy a trip out to skeggy, you can look mine over to see how it's built and i'll give you some of the brackets i have got, i've plenty of them, they're just angle brackets with holes in them already.