Buying A Used Discovery 3?

doleawg

I know its a first post but am genuine. Am looking to buy a 2nd hand Discovery 3 SE either 07/57 or 08 in the next week. Anyone got any hints of good sites to go to (apart from Land Rover direct) in loooking at used Discoverys.

By all means PM me if you don't want to post a reply.

Thanks

Yes that would be the deciding factor for me as well - get one with a warranty! Youll need it.

I think if I was going to get one that new I would probably save a bit more and get a brand new one, being the first owner always carries a bit more clout when it comes to problems especially the ones that happen just out of warranty.

Guys thanks for advice. Opting out of a company car scheme for the first time so lots to consider. Won't bore you but Discovery 3 suits our needs best. Looking to get a 1 year old and being offered an SE at about 27K wiht about 10k miles on it. That gives me a further 2 years warranty.

That should give you plenty of time to experience the reliability so you can get rid of it just as the warranty expires and before your wallet starts to hurt :)

Sorry to sound pessimistic but I have "some exposure" to the things in what I do for a living and I would not buy one unless 1) somebody else was paying for the maintenance and 2) I had alternative transport for the time it was broken. Lovely cars when they work but therein lies the problem :unsure:

That should give you plenty of time to experience the reliability so you can get rid of it just as the warranty expires and before your wallet starts to hurt :)

Sorry to sound pessimistic but I have "some exposure" to the things in what I do for a living and I would not buy one unless 1) somebody else was paying for the maintenance and 2) I had alternative transport for the time it was broken. Lovely cars when they work but therein lies the problem :unsure:

Name a good qualtiy car then that has 3 genuine seats in the middle row, 2 seats in the floor of the boot and has a large boot to accomodate 3 large dogs?

I know its a first post but am genuine. Am looking to buy a 2nd hand Discovery 3 SE either 07/57 or 08 in the next week. Anyone got any hints of good sites to go to (apart from Land Rover direct) in loooking at used Discoverys.

By all means PM me if you don't want to post a reply.

Thanks

I find autotrader's site a good source, of course they are all the asking not actual prices.

Name a good qualtiy car then that has 3 genuine seats in the middle row, 2 seats in the floor of the boot and has a large boot to accomodate 3 large dogs?

I don't deny that the design of the D3 is superb particularly rear seats, interior space etc. 90 odd awards for the D3 plus the fact I think it is one of the biggest selling 4x4 vehicles in the UK means that it obviously has some good points. I suppose what I am really saying is buy with your eyes open to the problems it might have. If you want to know more about them (good and bad) look at www.disco3.co.uk which is a dedicated site

I remember when the then new Range Rover came out in about 2002, Jeremy Clarkson tested it on Top Gear and was keeping it long term, and said that he had been promised that if anything fell off or broke in the first six months, he could shoot the managing director's dog. I'd guess the poor pooch probably looks like a colander by now...

Guest DiscoTD4

The D3 really is a great car, I was fortunate to have one for a short while and was very impressed by the refinement and quality feel. The diesel is such a cracking engine - so smooth and quiet. A million miles better than the predecessors for everyday driving.

I'm sure you wont be disappointed, enjoy.

The D3 really is a great car, I was fortunate to have one for a short while and was very impressed by the refinement and quality feel. The diesel is such a cracking engine - so smooth and quiet. A million miles better than the predecessors for everyday driving.

I'm sure you wont be disappointed, enjoy.

I bought a TDV6 S in March - 60,000 miles - manual - yes - risky combo since 1 year warranty with dealer - but at 17k it seemed best value around- have a few wonders about post warranty but .......there is so much to worry about if you want in life why add more?

it is great - but i feel too big for town even though spends much of its life on tarmac - wife loves it too

my other lr is 90 truck cab 1987

go beyond - i agree LR and other manufacturers are often suspect - but if you can find indy or trusted main dealer then great

(of which our family volvo is looked after by squire furneaux in high wycombe - fabulous and helpful and do not spend your money for you- )

re D3?

i agree buy one.......

Just to balance the discussion, I have run a D3 since November 04, it now has 106,000 miles on it. I had early electronic problems, but they were fixed with a general update when it was 6 months old. ALL D3 should have had this update as part of normal servicing.

The other problems I have experienced are wearing of suspension bushes at about 60000 miles. The only recurring issue I have had is the Electronic Park Brake which is a common failure on a lot of D3's.

I have just done a 2500 mile trip around Europe, including 1000 + miles in a day, and the car was perfect. I am now out of warranty, and awaiting my first repair bill, but so far so good.

I used to run a D2 before the D3, and I can tell you it is far more reliable than that ever was!

I still run my D2 and would not swap it under any circumstances :)

I do wonder if a lot of the things that break on D3's are getting fixed under warranty without the customers ever finding out. I suppose now the early ones are coming out of warranty we are about to find out. Turbos, EGR valves, handbrakes, starter motors, wheels wearing out, fuel leaks on the engine, exhausts falling off, spare wheel winches. Time will tell :)

Guest DiscoTD4
I joined the club :i-m_so_happy:

Bought a 57/7 (november 07) HSE for £29k today. Great price. Can't wait

welcome to the club.

HSE - very nice, that was the spec I had for a brief spell, black with cream leather.

I want one now!

;)

I still run my D2 and would not swap it under any circumstances :)

I do wonder if a lot of the things that break on D3's are getting fixed under warranty without the customers ever finding out. I suppose now the early ones are coming out of warranty we are about to find out. Turbos, EGR valves, handbrakes, starter motors, wheels wearing out, fuel leaks on the engine, exhausts falling off, spare wheel winches. Time will tell :)

A bit harsh I think Bogmonster; you can have similar problems with the Td5 too. The Disco 3 has won heaps of awards and is a great vehicle to drive. Admittedly I don't know what you do with them on your home ground.

Warranty hours sold are way lower on all current models versus predecessors. We certainly tell our customers about campaign/warranty work being carried out on their vehicles.

Turbos - seen 1 or 2 TdV6 issues. My 110 Td5 turbo went bang too at a year old with 4000 miles.

EGR - seen some of those. Seen Td5's with the issue too.

Handbrake - might struggle to argue that 1 so well especially if used off road.

Starter Motors - not seen 1 being changed yet.

Wheels wearing out - in what way? - not aware of that either.

Fuel leaks on the engine - not seen that yet; but presumably better than into the sump!!!

Exhausts falling off - not seen that 1 either - what are you doing to them?!

Spare wheel winches - usually a monkey with an air gun - I've seen it done on rear door wheel carrier too, but granted can get away with 1 broken.

Mark.

A bit harsh I think Bogmonster; you can have similar problems with the Td5 too. The Disco 3 has won heaps of awards and is a great vehicle to drive. Admittedly I don't know what you do with them on your home ground.

Warranty hours sold are way lower on all current models versus predecessors. We certainly tell our customers about campaign/warranty work being carried out on their vehicles.

Turbos - seen 1 or 2 TdV6 issues. My 110 Td5 turbo went bang too at a year old with 4000 miles.

EGR - seen some of those. Seen Td5's with the issue too.

Handbrake - might struggle to argue that 1 so well especially if used off road.

Starter Motors - not seen 1 being changed yet.

Wheels wearing out - in what way? - not aware of that either.

Fuel leaks on the engine - not seen that yet; but presumably better than into the sump!!!

Exhausts falling off - not seen that 1 either - what are you doing to them?!

Spare wheel winches - usually a monkey with an air gun - I've seen it done on rear door wheel carrier too, but granted can get away with 1 broken.

Mark.

We don't do anything exceptional here at all (leave that to the Defenders!). The numbers of D3 vehicles here are small but when you see problems affecting in some cases 80% of the vehicles, it isn't really acceptable. All of the above are problems on a significant percentage of the vehicles I have experience of. Some of the problems will become more apparent elsewhere in years to come - I predict that second hand wheels will be quite rare in a few years and you read it here first :)