trutrac or detroit locker?

flatback90

was wondering what would be best for the rear of my 90 a trutrac or traditional detroit locker? are there any advantages to either?

AFAIK The locker is a "real" locking diff, and the truetrac is a torsen diff. So, the locker gives the most locking :) But for front axles, the truetrac is the right thing.

The locker is locked all the time, but allows one wheel to spin faster than the propshaft and other wheel, meaning that in a turn, you're being pushed forward by the inner wheel.

/tony

What are you going to use the vehicle for?

Detroit Locker gives 100% traction, but is normally locked and automatically unlocks in turns on hard surface.

TrueTrac gives only 70-80% traction, but is always active and can only improuve roadgoing manners.

My choice would be TrueTrac, unless you're planning some heavy offroading.

Some people find the wheelbase of a 90 too short for a Detroit as you suffer form understeer on occasion.

I would seriously look at an ARB. More money, but you get to decide what the diff does. Believe me, you don't want your rear diff locked on a sideslope!

If you don't do hard off roading then go for the true track if you have to chose between that and a Detroit.

Some people find the wheelbase of a 90 too short for a Detroit as you suffer form understeer on occasion.

I would seriously look at an ARB. More money, but you get to decide what the diff does. Believe me, you don't want your rear diff locked on a sideslope!

If you don't do hard off roading then go for the true track if you have to chose between that and a Detroit.

excuse my ignorance but what effect would a locked diff have on a side slope? most off roading is done on soft bog and mountain terrain round here maybe once a month

I wouldn't put a Detroit Locker in a 90 if I had to use the vehicle for anything other than offroad use, as Bish says, steering can be a bit interesting.

I would love to drive something with LSDs front and rear out of curiosity, if I ever get round to doing any comp stuff again I will look at a tru-trac or Quaife for the front of my 110 to go with the Quaife rear diff. I reckon it would be pretty effective without losing accurate steering as you do with true lockers.

Will :)

I would love to drive something with LSDs front and rear out of curiosity, if I ever get round to doing any comp stuff again I will look at a tru-trac or Quaife for the front of my 110 to go with the Quaife rear diff. I reckon it would be pretty effective without losing accurate steering as you do with true lockers.

The Truetrac front and rear set up - works a treat, speshly with an auto box. ;) Crossaxling is not an issue with a bit of left foot braking, and it's all very gentle on the halfshafts.

I have a tdi90 with 34" simex tires and a Detroit limited slip in the front and a locker in the rear I don’t use it too often on the road generally to and from events and I have to say I haven't experienced any problems on the road as long as you keep the tyre pressures correct. I have only experienced the reluctance to turn on a bend once when I was a little over zealous with the accelerator on a bend in the wet. I would definitely recommend this set up off-road.

Why not go for a KAM locker thats made in this country so has the best spare parts and service back up, and you get upgraded shafts for the same money.

You may here some old stories about KAM CV failures but this was a problem with one batch and KAM are great about replacing anything that breaks.

Bah... All the Detroit haters have never used one.

I've had one for two years and I'm still waiting in anticipation for the "bad" things to happen. It just works. You can't even tell it is there other than you just drive up everything that the normal people can't.... I've had zero bad handling. Nothing strange has happened in a corner or on a side slope.

Bah... All the Detroit haters have never used one.

I've had one for two years and I'm still waiting in anticipation for the "bad" things to happen. It just works. You can't even tell it is there other than you just drive up everything that the normal people can't.... I've had zero bad handling. Nothing strange has happened in a corner or on a side slope.

Having run Detroits in a 90 and a Discovery I have to again disagree. The fact that the Detroit is a ‘unlocker’ in limited traction situations you get massive amounts of under steer. The ability to select when your diff locks ie. ARBs / KAMs is a far better option.

Lee

Personally I would find the detroits far more dependable as arb's always seem to give trouble loosing air, seal's going, pipes ripped off or damaged, electrical problems, etc. detroits don't suffer any of these problems and are always there when you need them.

Having run Detroits in a 90 and a Discovery I have to again disagree. The fact that the Detroit is a ‘unlocker’ in limited traction situations you get massive amounts of under steer. The ability to select when your diff locks ie. ARBs / KAMs is a far better option.

Lee

If you RTFM you will find that Detroit themselves do not recommend fitting the Detroit to a vehicle with a short wheel base. They define that as anything less than 120" :blink: This is why a Detroit does not work well in either a Disco, RR or 90, but is mostly fine in a 110 and fantastic in a 127". There was a guy on one of the forums who got his money back from Ashcrofts after they fitted a Detroit to his 90".

Two trutracs are fantastic in a Disco 1 V8 that I have driven.

bit of a can of worms this one.....tried a mates 90 last night for about 20 miles and didnt notice any funny handling. however he did say that it had done a few wierd things at first but he puts that down to the fact that he wasnt used to driving a locked rear diff. spoke to another lad and he said go for it and fit the trutrac at the front as well. better be nice to swmbo for a day or two then!!

bit worried about the arb type coz of the compressor/lines/fittings etc and another friend has nothing but trouble with his.

thanks for everyones replies!!

I have Trutrac's fitted front and rear on my D1 which have worked really well both on and off road, getting me into and usually out of some pretty sticky situations. :rolleyes: If I had not driven the car without them for a while I would not have even realised they were fitted apart from the occaisonal rumble on greasy roundabouts.

Saying that, the 90 has got ARB's front and rear but I use that for Challenge events.

Lee

I've never had any understeer problems. Never noticed anything strange in tight corners. Like I said, I keep "waiting" for all the bad characteristics that people say will happen. I've noticed no change whatsoever from the open diffs other than more traction.

Sure selectable lockers are "nicer", but Detroits are much simpler and much cheaper. I paid $250 for my locker....and it just works

In my Def90 I have a detroit Locker in the rear and a trutrac in the front. I have this setup for almost 10 years. NO breakages so far.

The car was used as my daily transport for the first 5 years (when i was working and living in Tunesia). Now I have build it into a chanllenge vehicle.

After putting them in, the first couple of kms, yu have to get used to the steering. But nothing major and once your used to it, you don't know anymore that you have them. About handling on the road : no problem at all. the car was used to be pushed rather hard. Tires were 33x9.5x15. Turns on the sandtracks were taking in sliding. Nomal road speed was on secondary roads about 120km/h On the highway about 160km/h.

( by the way the 90 is fitted with a 4.6Efi ).

Off road it's fabulous. No lockers to engage. Just point and drive.

The only "annoyance" I have once and a while is a "bang" in the rear axle when the locker levels out.

I would do it again for an other vehicle.