Split-charge woes!

Hi folks.

Having a wee bit of a grim time trying to fit split-charge relay system. No wiring difficulties, just this......

I bought a Numax battery from Simon (X-eng) on here. It's a sizable battery, and won't fit in the passenger seat box alongside my existing battery, no matter which way i put them. It's also very tall, and when in place on it's own I cant get the seat down on top, which in any event will create a short, since the seat will be touching both battery posts.

Where (he says in a despairing voice!) can I put this second battery, how to restrain it in position, any boxes that I can put it in etc etc.

Cheers in advance! :(:(:(

You could let the bottom of the battery box down a bit, not too complex fabrication-wise. Other than that, look around your landy and see if there's any gaps or areas where you could hide it.

Seems strange Si would sell you a battery that won't fit in a Landy battery box, unless it's for a different purpose.

It does say on Si's site that you can fit 2 in a defender battery box I think, or at least one...

I was going to buy two of these until I did some measuring and found they wouldn't fit.

The only way I could see it working was to fit one across-ways (left door to right door) right at the front of the seat box, and one where the existing battery was in the 'lowered' part of the seat box.

You should be able to achieve this with your standard and numax battery... I wasn't prepared to take the risk though so currently looking at other options :)

Aaah, if it's the same size and arrangement as we've just done in Ryan's 110 then yes, it's bleedin' tight but doable. We stuck the -ve terminal outermost so if it jumped and hit the lip of the box it wouldn't make sparks, and then put the other battery in the shallow end. Took a fair bit of head scratching but it will fit, there's just not much room for error - and it will want to be bolted down very well, preferably with insulated terminals in case it does bounce :ph34r:

I too get fed up with the standard supposed battery box. My Elecsol battery failed early I beliece just because I had to taqke it out to check the levels, that never happened.

So last month I ripped the battery box out and made my own.

All on here somewhare.

http://www.landroveraddict.com/smf/index.php?topic=369337.0

Drastic I know but at least I can fit a nice big battery AND top the levels up if necessary.

mike

Any pics FF or Ryan? Also what year was it out of interest as I know the battery boxes are different :)

Ask and ye shall receive B)

gallery_1731_595_36877.jpg

The black battery is probably the same size as the Numax (I can't find the invoice at the moment so can't be too sure) and the above configuration is the only way it will fit without dropping the bottom of the box or fouling on the seat box lid. The battery connectors are these from Barden Batteries:

key-e.jpg

They are a quick-release type and are well insulated on top where it counts ;)

My Odyssey batts are

Dimensions: 331mm long 168mm wide 195mm high

so slightly higher & I can still fit the batt bay cover,without it touching the terminals, [both batts mounted longways with -VE post at rear end of bay]

When I had My Series 2a Hybrid with a dual battery system, I used an MOD Ammo box on the rear side of the Bulkhead, looked like it belonged there,not out of place at all, with another one on the right side for all my loose items,

Thinking of places to put the second battery still.........can someone please tell me what is under the centre row seat box, thinking of cutting a hole in it....... :blink:

A transfer box, even less depth than the battery box.

What's the depth of the box under the drivers seat ?

mike

WFN ;) Very good.

Have you thought of the rear wheel arch behind the left rear wheel ?

Looking at your drawing. Do you intend the battery to go behind the seat box or under it ?

mike

Hadn't thought about the rear wheel arch........i guess that would involve cutting a rectangle out of the top of the box and then lowering a u-shaped picece of metal in to suspend the battery underneath?!?!?

If fitted behind the front seats, I was thinking on the floor immediately behind them, either side of the gap between the front seat and the cubby box....should still leave plenty of room for people's feet.....

I have a fresh water tank in that footwell. The fridge sits in where the center seat should be. What about passengers ??

I looked at varios places for my battery until I decided to make that battery box.

I do have the drawings for the box at the back. Yes I have one but I generally carry transmission fluid and spares in there.

mike

I have a fresh water tank in that footwell. The fridge sits in where the center seat should be. What about passengers ??

I looked at varios places for my battery until I decided to make that battery box.

I do have the drawings for the box at the back. Yes I have one but I generally carry transmission fluid and spares in there.

mike

Plan is for my fridge to site in the bench seat area, up against the back of the centre seat row. Plent of room there and plenty of 12v sockets too.

Passenger-wise it shouldnt be affected, as I say on the floor up against the front seat box should leave plenty of room for feet, both in the left hand passenger seat and in the middle seat.