Calling all Cornish members ....

dougstar

Hi People,

I am holidaying this year again in cornwall St issey 10 mins from Padstow after haveing such a great first time in cornwall last year in our Pikey van we are back for 10nigths then off to the Great Dorset Steam Fair for 5 nights :i-m_so_happy:

So was just wondering if anyone on here in the cornwall area fancied a day out on the lanes i,m available for this between 17-23th of August ??

Is there much to do down there? Dont really fancy anything overly extreme as i will not be popular with er in doors if i smash the car up 430miles from home :P

Will be with the wife and kids if we can make a full day (maybe tie in with a picnic/BBQ on a hill somewhere?) of it or maybe sneek out on my own for half day or so??

And have a drive past a decent ciderfarm too would be a Bonus :D I can then take some local cloudy stuff back to HQ for a 10_7_61.gif night !

Let me know if anyone fancies meeting up for run out the more the merrier...

Thanks

Dougie

Hi Dougstar,

I'm heading down to Cornwall on Monday (fingers crossed) well I hope I am as my Landy 'OD' is being a bit tempermental at the moment and keeps throwing tantrums blowing fuses all the time Tsh! .. .I don't have children yet but is owning a Landrover like having one? or is that just weird? ?

I'll be staying in a Hostel called Golant in/around Foray? I think. Had better check really hohoho.

Cheers

I live in st.austell, truck offroad for a few days so wont be around this weekend!!! Ill have a look at my calender for the last couple of weeks in august & see what were doing. Ill try & post some grid refs of moderate lanes for you to amble around. Have a look at the last 2 months of LRO as they done the cornwall part of their journey in them.

Adrian

Hi Dougstar,

I'm heading down to Cornwall on Monday (fingers crossed) well I hope I am as my Landy 'OD' is being a bit tempermental at the moment and keeps throwing tantrums blowing fuses all the time Tsh! .. .I don't have children yet but is owning a Landrover like having one? or is that just weird? ?

I'll be staying in a Hostel called Golant in/around Foray? I think. Had better check really hohoho.

Cheers

Is that the Youth Hostel in Golant, up the hill?

Down the hill in the village is the Fishermans Arms a good local.

You can walk along the railway to Fowey (about 30 min gentle stroll) where there are loads of good pubs.

If you want fishing trips ask for Colin Tabb in Golant if he still does them.

My parents used to live there!

John

Is that the Youth Hostel in Golant, up the hill?

Down the hill in the village is the Fishermans Arms a good local.

You can walk along the railway to Fowey (about 30 min gentle stroll) where there are loads of good pubs.

If you want fishing trips ask for Colin Tabb in Golant if he still does them.

My parents used to live there!

John

Yeah, that would be the one, I've spent too much money on the landrover so thought a hostelling trip would save some precious pounds. Apparently the driveway is 1200metres long... ?

I'll be sure to visit the local pub, i'm on my own as my friends are busy with babies, work or just don't fancy it or those that do can't. . . I'm hoping to visit the Eden project which isn't far away. Walk loads and i'm hoping have my mountain bike with me (save Diesel!) so do a fair bit of walking and biking about.

Anything else that I should make sure I see. I hate being a tourist but I love the local life and try to avoid the crowds when possible.

Cheers

Ps.. I presume i'm not going to get hit by a train if I walk along the line :P:blink:

Yeah, that would be the one, I've spent too much money on the landrover so thought a hostelling trip would save some precious pounds. Apparently the driveway is 1200metres long... ?

I'll be sure to visit the local pub, i'm on my own as my friends are busy with babies, work or just don't fancy it or those that do can't. . . I'm hoping to visit the Eden project which isn't far away. Walk loads and i'm hoping have my mountain bike with me (save Diesel!) so do a fair bit of walking and biking about.

Anything else that I should make sure I see. I hate being a tourist but I love the local life and try to avoid the crowds when possible.

Cheers

Ps.. I presume i'm not going to get hit by a train if I walk along the line :P:blink:

As well as the Eden Project (I suggest you go early as it can be packed and you shuffle along in a giant snake) do go to the Lost Garden of Heligan near Mevagissey. I think it is at least as good as Eden. The garden drops down via a number of ponds and is sub tropical. Also visit Charlestown a beautiful granite port often used in films, it's near St Austell.

Before I go further O/T contact Western (Ralph) on here for advice on Cornwall, he's based in Cambourne and is an expert Land Rover Wizard

John

Track still in daily use for goods traffic for Fowey. DOnt even be tempted.... Several hundred tonnes of clay train can creep up on you with you even noticing. Theres no public right of way through the docks(privately owned). I think there is a footpath to fowey which runs thru some wooded area but not directly along the track/river. Very pretty tho.

Try luxulyan for walk/ride, & butterfly trail on old A30 goss moor. Both really nice & tourist free. Plenty of green lanes in the area also.

When I get 5mins later will send you a few refs.

Adrian

As well as the Eden Project (I suggest you go early as it can be packed and you shuffle along in a giant snake) do go to the Lost Garden of Heligan near Mevagissey. I think it is at least as good as Eden. The garden drops down via a number of ponds and is sub tropical. Also visit Charlestown a beautiful granite port often used in films, it's near St Austell.

Before I go further O/T contact Western (Ralph) on here for advice on Cornwall, he's based in Cambourne and is an expert Land Rover Wizard

John

Cheers John,

Will contact Wizard Western shortly for info and advice (like where the nearest landrover independents are for if (not that it would hopefully) things go wrong landy wise!

Thanks for the info though muchly appreciated

Dear Mods and Ads .. sorry for going O/T ... :ph34r:

Track still in daily use for goods traffic for Fowey. DOnt even be tempted.... Several hundred tonnes of clay train can creep up on you with you even noticing. Theres no public right of way through the docks(privately owned). I think there is a footpath to fowey which runs thru some wooded area but not directly along the track/river. Very pretty tho.

Try luxulyan for walk/ride, & butterfly trail on old A30 goss moor. Both really nice & tourist free. Plenty of green lanes in the area also.

When I get 5mins later will send you a few refs.

Adrian

Ace .. cheers very much, Pm me with details, all this local knowledge is fantastic, if anyone needs info on Suffolk please Pm me i've lived here all my life (though I have ventured way over the borders so dont worry!) But I can give details of decent places to stay, visit, good local pubs, walks, rides etc.. I would say greenlanes are a plenty but someone has reclassified almost all of them to restricted byways! pffft, so i'm no longer sure whats driveable around here.

Does anyone know what is meant by a restricted byway.. or who can drive it and under what rights it is restricted (some say a permit is required but I cannot find anything on how to obtain a permit or who is in fact going to police non-permit holders driving what is becoming more and more overgrown trakcs! .. whats the point in it all.. sorry i'm ranting O/T again.. :o

A restricted byway is what used to be a RUPP. Nowadays is is about the same as a bridleway with the exception that you can use a horse and cart on it. You cannot use any mechanically propelled vehicle on one unless you are the landowner, tenant or have their permission.

Chris

I'd love to and i'm north cornwall (bude area) but the motor won't be finished :S

Plenty of nights left yet David if you fancy burning the midnight oil to get her on the road???

Only kidding no worries mate good luck with the Motor

Hi Dougstar,

Cheers

Not weird mate but you have hit the nail on the head there................... they are brilliant / loads of fun when they are in the right mood / love spending all my spare time with them / have there very own unique character from day one / very tough and durable / enjoy bouncing off stuff / love getting covered in mud O and

ARE A CONSTANT DRAIN ON THE FINANCES but would never change either for anything ;)

I'd join in or at least meet up, But I'm doing other things a bit further up country [out of Cornwall]

Not to worry western thanks for replying anyhoo