Does not sound good

darzo

Bought a 54 TD4 auto in Dec, when the garage where I bought it from did the first MOT they chucked a new tyre on, it's a right crappy tyre, not even sure of the make, I have Michelins on the rest.

The last few months I have noticed a droning noise which is getting louder, first off all it seemed to be at 30pm and 60mph now it is more frequent and definitely getting louder.

Had it serviced today, asked my mechanic about the noise and he took it to a LR blokey who said that the noise could be because of the crappy tyre or the crappy tyre could have buggered the VC (is this true? Can this actually happen?) Or its the diff. He also said you shouldn't change one tyre you should change them all.

My lovely partner is now outside puttting the Michelin spare on (in the pouring rain) to see if this makes a difference.

What do you think?

I had a diff go on a Frontera years ago which cost loads and I don't want to be forking out hundreds now.

Any advice appreciated.

Zoe

PS, even though my warranty has run out, could I go back to the garage?

PPS, aircon doesn't work either, apparently it's ran out of gas?? What do I do about that?

The cheap option is the tyre and I would change that first.

the noise is the tyres wear.

Michelin's are a very good quality so a cheap tyre will wear very quickly in comparison.

For the year the VC would be unusual

Air Con I would check the gas but odd to have run out sound more like a bodged repair of something else and never recharged it.

Bought a 54 TD4 auto in Dec, when the garage where I bought it from did the first MOT they chucked a new tyre on, it's a right crappy tyre, not even sure of the make, I have Michelins on the rest.

The last few months I have noticed a droning noise which is getting louder, first off all it seemed to be at 30pm and 60mph now it is more frequent and definitely getting louder.

Had it serviced today, asked my mechanic about the noise and he took it to a LR blokey who said that the noise could be because of the crappy tyre or the crappy tyre could have buggered the VC (is this true? Can this actually happen?) Or its the diff. He also said you shouldn't change one tyre you should change them all.

My lovely partner is now outside puttting the Michelin spare on (in the pouring rain) to see if this makes a difference.

What do you think?

I had a diff go on a Frontera years ago which cost loads and I don't want to be forking out hundreds now.

Any advice appreciated.

Zoe

PS, even though my warranty has run out, could I go back to the garage?

PPS, aircon doesn't work either, apparently it's ran out of gas?? What do I do about that?

i had similar, get your wheel bearings checked they can cause the same symptons

paul

Well I think the tyre change appears to have remedied it. I cannot believe what a difference putting the spare Michelin on has made.

Would the noise have been getting louder as the tyre was wearing?

Excuse the daft questions, I am a girl!

Just the air con to sort out now!

Thanks for your replies guys, most appreciated

If something expensive is on its way you can drop the rear prop & VC off as one unit and have a front-wheel-drive freebie - drives very similar, saves fuel but will get stuck in the mud more often :P also costs nothing to do if you've got the spanners.

Oh yeah - Halfords sell aerosols for re-gassing your air-con, these days it's not expensive or complicated to do.

Well I think the tyre change appears to have remedied it. I cannot believe what a difference putting the spare Michelin on has made.

Would the noise have been getting louder as the tyre was wearing?

Excuse the daft questions, I am a girl!

Just the air con to sort out now!

Thanks for your replies guys, most appreciated

Yes the noise gets louder as it wears my wife's was doing the same.

It can take about 10,000 miles to do it to a new tyre but that's very dependant on the quality(the Kwik fit types will sell you carp and tell you its a very good tyre) you can't go wrong with Michelin's

(if it persists get it looked at by a LR garage)

I have already changed on our 1998 freelander

VC

all bearings

but the noise is still there how ever mine is due to it still having a early IRD but your is not the same due to the year it was made.

For some reason the tyres if not a match or heavily warn drum and wine very very loudly it was very common on early ones but not so on later ones like yours.

Freelander and 4x4 in general should always have a full set of tyres and not mix and match.