Viscous fans and electric fans

MikeAK

Hi

Just taken off the viscous fan on my RR classic (1989 3.5 auto) because the viscous bit was seized. The replacement I got from the scrappies turned out to have mashed threads so it wouldn't go on. As the scrappies is only about mile away I thought I would just nip down with no fan on (yes lazy and silly I know).

Predictably I got stuck in slow moving traffic, temp gauge started to creep up then when it was between 1/2 and 3/4 (no-where near the red) the aircon fans came on, gauge went back down to 1/2 (where it normally sits with viscous fan fitted). Cycle then repeats over 2-3 mins like any modern car with electric fans in traffic.

When I got back I had a look at the wiring and there is a temperature switch mounted in the thermostat housing which turns on the aircon fans (regardless of aircon on or off). The wiring looks original, anyone know if this is standard fitment?

Looking at the size of the aircon fans they must shift at least as much air as the single viscous fan. So does it really need the viscous fan?

It is much quieter without it and it creates quite a bit of room at the front of the engine with it out. I've also been told that viscous fans take 4-5hp, and as hp = fuel consumed every little helps!

So now I'm driving round with the viscous fan chucked in the back to see how it goes. Its only a couple of mins to fit if I need to.

Thanks

Mike

The aircon fans are not up to the job - people have tried it and when it's working hard they can't keep things cool. They're only there to cool the aircon rad and provide a little help. Sticking a decent electric fan on the back, you can use the aircon fan feed via a relay to switch a big fan on with minimal effort.

The aircon fans are not up to the job - people have tried it and when it's working hard they can't keep things cool. They're only there to cool the aircon rad and provide a little help. Sticking a decent electric fan on the back, you can use the aircon fan feed via a relay to switch a big fan on with minimal effort.

Wow, Quick reply!

If others have tried before, I'll learn by their experience!

I'll stick the viscous fan back on for now, but I'm sure i've got a big electric fan of a Pug 406 in the shed somewhere. Now the ideas in my head I think I'll see if I can bodge up some brackets to make it fit.

Thanks

Mike

I have 2 Land Rover electric fans fitted in front of the radiator and they work perfectly in all conditions. Needle never goes above half way.

However, i dont have air-con which will have an effect on the fans trying to force air through to the radiator as in your vehicle. I also have a new radiator so there is no crud blocking the fins. I would expect that you would be best fitting an electric pull fan on the engine side.

Hi I have a '99 Disco 1, with the aircon fans and mine come on fairly early once the temp guage starts to move and work well for a few cycles but TRUST ME they will only cope in moderate traffic once you heat the engine up enough they will not cope and it will fry your engine quickly.

I fitted two 13" Kenlowes behind the Rad and these are set to kick in when the needle gets about 2 thirds and which is where the aircon fans start to lose the battle.

I used the Kenlowe relays and Temp switch ( I know they are not the best but its not let me down yet and I have a spare)

My vehicle is an auto and has larger tyres fitted plus other extra bits of metal bolted on to it which prob makes it work harder, If yours is modded too expect it to work harder.

Today in the heat on the M25 stuck behind an accident omly moving 20-30M at a time it got so the Kenlowes were only off for a few minutes each time before coming back on as there was no airflow to the rad at all in the hot traffic.

Be aware also that all the extra draw on the batteries from anc equip(aircon/coolbox/lights/radio etc and electric fans can run your battery down if fans are running constantly, make sure your battery is good and alternator is working.

firemannotsam

Wow, Quick reply!

If others have tried before, I'll learn by their experience!

I'll stick the viscous fan back on for now, but I'm sure i've got a big electric fan of a Pug 406 in the shed somewhere. Now the ideas in my head I think I'll see if I can bodge up some brackets to make it fit.

Thanks

Mike

the peugeot fan is a push and you will need a suction fan to maximise cooling as the fan needs to pull the air through rather than push as on the peugeot