Will a Double Cab Pick-up convert to a Station Wagon?

I'm only just toying with this as an idea but I need to know if it is possible to convert a Double-cab into a Station Wagon. I love the DCPU but there are some issues when it's being used mainly as dog transport!

Any thoughts on whether it's do-able and the cost?

Thanks

Mag

Does that still apply if the vehicle is a 2.4 Puma?

Anyone know any companies that would do this in Yorkshire / the North East?

I suspect Kev Baldwin's family garage would be happy to do this sort of work, as they've done body conversions before many times..

S.R Baldwin

Windsor Gar Victoria Rd, Hebden Bridge, West Yorkshire, HX7 8JX

Don't know phone no., but you could get it by calling mud stuff no. 01422 847704

Cheers

Steve

if you are happy to keep the bulkhead behind the rear seats it will be easy enough to swap just the roof and side panels, and fit a door in place of the tailgate. It is a lot more work if you want to remove the bulkhead, probably swap the tub to do it.

What he said ^^^

I think a 110SW with a bulkhead in the back would be very practical as a mixed use vehicle, it would save the rear seats a bit (check out the back of the rear seats on any working 110SW... usually shredded!), though you would be stuck with the crew cab "legroom" in the second row...

What several people here have done is to build a separate rear cab from cut down sides and roof, and a standard station wagon rear door. It makes a very nice conversion that keeps all the rattly smelly stuff separate in the back, like a crewcab should, but gets rid of the flappy silly canvas that falls to bits in no time. I would think it would be great for carting dogs around as you could put air vents in to keep the stink down and everybody would be happy :)

Thanks - I actually have a really swanky colour-matched Trojan Top on the back with sliding side windows and a roof vent for the dog. The problem is that when you open the back window (lifts up) and then the tailgate the dog will jump out before you can get a ramp to the truck. Not a problem with our German Shepherd that could have jumped over the bloody thing but a new Leonberger pup needs to be prevented from this sort of thing for 18 months or so.

I only thought of the conversion to a station wagon because there is an internal dog gate which fits that but not the Trojan top. I am also a little hacked off with the DCPU tailgate - it's a bit cumbersome really.

I bought a DCPU because as a company car it's classed as a Commercial and therefore co car tax is minimal, a SW is classed as a car and VERY heavily taxed.

you could convert or change the drop down tailgate to a side hinged version so it opens like a 110SW rear door.

Brilliant! I didn't even know that was possible. I will try to find out who would do that.

Thanks

Brilliant! I didn't even know that was possible. I will try to find out who would do that.

Thanks

You could also then use a swing away spare wheel carrier to get more room inside the rear tub. I think the spare on double cab is propped against the rear bulkhead?

The nas soft-top has a side hinged door with high level stop lamp on a carrier.

Think the anti-luce fitting holes are in the right place to take the top hinge?

i would you want to change

a double cab is a very rare defender sw are two a penny

Then why their are 3 times the amount of DC.s for sale than SW's ?? and keep their valve far better as well ;)

If/when you convert to SW, presume it goes without saying, that you will inform DVLA :ph34r:

i would you want to change a double cab is a very rare defender sw are two a penny

ifor or wolf canopy are the way two go as you can see from my one

which as been broken for four weeks :( being repaired by dealer

If you meant "why" would I want to change it is for the reasons stated with reference to the Leonberger pup.

As I've said I already have a very smart coloured matched aluminium Trojan Top as per this pic

IMAGE_00130-2.jpg

The Trojan top isn't the problem, it is the fact that a tailgate has to be dropped and the back window lifted up at the same time that the dog would need to be held and at the same time that a ramp needs to be unfolded and offered up to the tailgate. A SW would allow me to have an internal mesh gate so the door could be opened and the ramp put into position BEFORE the internal gate was opened.

I think the answer may be some sort of chopped down internal gate combined with the hinged tailgate door opening sideways.

Also, as you can see; the spare wheel is already out of the pick-up and on the roof.

Thanks for all the advice chaps, I appreciate it.

If you meant "why" would I want to change it is for the reasons stated with reference to the Leonberger pup.

As I've said I already have a very smart coloured matched aluminium Trojan Top as per this pic

IMAGE_00130-2.jpg

The Trojan top isn't the problem, it is the fact that a tailgate has to be dropped and the back window lifted up at the same time that the dog would need to be held and at the same time that a ramp needs to be unfolded and offered up to the tailgate. A SW would allow me to have an internal mesh gate so the door could be opened and the ramp put into position BEFORE the internal gate was opened.

I think the answer may be some sort of chopped down internal gate combined with the hinged tailgate door opening sideways.

Also, as you can see; the spare wheel is already out of the pick-up and on the roof.

Thanks for all the advice chaps, I appreciate it.

Would be a shame to rip apart such a nicely presented vehicle :(

Gate inside rear door so you can open the rear door, lift the canopy and put in place a ramp, then open the gate sounds a much better option.

Personnally I'd get a Jack Russell, easy to grab them by the scruff of the neck and they are nimble enough not to need a ramp :lol::P

Blooming good ratters as well!