Hazards Flashing

Goldie

Hi there,

went out in the Disco today. Gets in car, all starts up fine, friend was in the car with me when I noticed that the cover for the footwell was hanging a little low, so he used his foot to pus it back up again. I was about to reverse off the drive when I noticed that the hazard lights flashing. I was a little bemused at this so checked the hazard light switch, and that switch was not not pressed. Very odd. I had to stop because I cant drive down the streets with this.

Wondering what had happened since the last drive in it, and nothing came to mind, and then remembered the footwell cover had just been adjusted by foot..!

I went down there ans found a box called AS10. Just like this one.. https://www.blackbox-solutions.com/shop/help/SM031.html

it was clicking in time with the indicators, so was clear that this had something to do with the problem. I removed the 2 leads and flashing indicators stopped. Each time I have put them back in, indicators continued to flash..!!

I can use the car just fine with this AS10 green box removed, with the only noticeable pain now, is the remote central locking is not working. I replaced the keyfob 2032 battery and that has not made anything any better.

I have had a look around this site at previous posts, and by all accounts, removing the AS10 green box would immobilise the car, but, it has not done that.!!

Battery has never gone flat on the car, so cant see any reason forthis to have suddenly happended for this. I cant imagine that the green box being moved by my mates foot coulf have caused this, but hey, I dont know, if it did, then this box is a very fragile box. I have taken the cover off it to see if there is any noticable problems, and i do not see any dry joints etc..

Anyone have any ideas? Can it be reset somehow without technical equipment?

I do have an alarm here at home that I could easily fit, but not sure I can get it to get the central door locking working..?

Cheers

Carl.

Your spider unit might be hacked already, otherwise it should be immobilised.

Go on and set up your aftermarket alarm box, I've just recently done that by myself, can consult on where to get right wires:)

Your spider unit might be hacked already, otherwise it should be immobilised.

Go on and set up your aftermarket alarm box, I've just recently done that by myself, can consult on where to get right wires:)

Is this green thing I know as a 10AS also called a spider unit?

No. The 10AS is the main alarm ECU. The spider unit (see post in Tech Archive forum) is behind the radio in the dash, see the photos in the tech archive post.

It does sound like it has been removed or bypassed though - if the hazards are going that would suggest the alarm is active in which case it shouldn't run! I am pretty sure the central locking is all through the 10AS ecu so you won't get it to work unless you can figure that out.

No. The 10AS is the main alarm ECU. The spider unit (see post in Tech Archive forum) is behind the radio in the dash, see the photos in the tech archive post.

It does sound like it has been removed or bypassed though - if the hazards are going that would suggest the alarm is active in which case it shouldn't run! I am pretty sure the central locking is all through the 10AS ecu so you won't get it to work unless you can figure that out.

I just went to have a look at the radio to see if I could remove it. I do have a pair of them 2 prong thingys that remove car radios, but, this radio only has a single hole on each side.. Now gonna need some idea how to get that out..

Just as a reminder from one of my previous posts, my disco was a Jap one.. Brought in just less than a year ago by the ownder from day one. A oldish Japanses lady. I cant imagine that she has had any mods made to the car. LOL.. But ya never know I guess..

Guest DiscoTD4

regarding removing the radio, have a look and see if they are small allen head screws deep down in the socket holes. Mine has these.

Good luck

mate i had the exact problem you describe when i repaired my rear windows and dropped my screw driver on the crash sensor which by the sound of it your passenger has kicked/knocked with his foot.if you put the hazards on does the indicator clicking go faster and sort of out of time?if it does thats what it is,it also overides the central locking so all doors are open in the event of an emergency.its was and easy fix for me all i did was to have the ignition on with dash lights illuminated and the engine not running and bonnet up depress the bonnet alarm plug/switch maybe a few times and it will or should stop i would try this before taking the dash out as its a lot less hassel,hope this helps you out mate.oh by the way it took me two days to find this out and it was my youngest son that really found it while watching dad try to get himself out of the brown stuff again he climbed up to watch and sat on the alarm plunger under the bonnet,usually hes "looking after" those vitally important bits that he cant find again. :lol:

mate i had the exact problem you describe when i repaired my rear windows and dropped my screw driver on the crash sensor which by the sound of it your passenger has kicked/knocked with his foot.if you put the hazards on does the indicator clicking go faster and sort of out of time?if it does thats what it is,it also overides the central locking so all doors are open in the event of an emergency.its was and easy fix for me all i did was to have the ignition on with dash lights illuminated and the engine not running and bonnet up depress the bonnet alarm plug/switch maybe a few times and it will or should stop i would try this before taking the dash out as its a lot less hassel,hope this helps you out mate.oh by the way it took me two days to find this out and it was my youngest son that really found it while watching dad try to get himself out of the brown stuff again he climbed up to watch and sat on the alarm plunger under the bonnet,usually hes "looking after" those vitally important bits that he cant find again. :lol:

LOL... I have just been stood there in front of the car for 10 mins, bonnet up, cannot find a switch for the alarm. I found each one on each door, including the rear door, so i know what these look like, but cannot for the life of me find one under the bonnet..!!!

its like a small traffic cone but black near the expansion tank look to see if its been removed and if the wires are dangling around there

Ner, cant see anything there. Looked everywhere now, and do not see any spare connectors or wires around that area..!!! bummer...

have you tried pushing all the door and tailgate ones in?other than that mate it looks like your taking that dash out or replcing that crash sensor with another i wonder if you were to remove the circuit board and remove a component and re solder it wether that would help?oh try all the alarm switches together and all in at the same time,other than that mate i cant help sorry.

have you tried pushing all the door and tailgate ones in?other than that mate it looks like your taking that dash out or replcing that crash sensor with another i wonder if you were to remove the circuit board and remove a component and re solder it wether that would help?oh try all the alarm switches together and all in at the same time,other than that mate i cant help sorry.

Hiya,

yeah, tried pressing all the 5 doors switches, to no avail.!!!

Where is this crash sensor and what does it look like... I see 2 crash sensors on the engine bay just behind the headlights with the yellow wiring loom cabling..

its in the passenger footwell under the window lift ecu behind the glove box bolted to the side where the passenger door hinges if i remember rightly its black in colour and measure 2x4 inches and will have to smallish plugs going to it.

• 11 years later...
  • 1 month later...