help needed africa trip

watson

dealing with mines is easy.

You invite walfy along for that part of the journey and then when the worse happens you stand well back with a chilled beer in hand, from your on-board fridge, and watch him deal with it. It's good manners to offer one of your chilled beers to him once he's finished.

Cheers

Steve

Guest WALFY

Steve thanks for your vote of confidence :rolleyes::rolleyes: . If you have respect for them then all will be fine. If I get it wrong then you get covered in goo :(:( .

hoping to drive to africa and back in the next couple of years,

so i need some advise from some advise from some experts, so is there any were to avoid, go, advise on fuel advise on prep anything is desperatly needed PLEASE

josh

o and is there anyone in africa that would like to meet and travel with us for a bit

A few of us did South Africa Into Saziland and up into Mozambique and back to Durban two years ago ,Best advice for borders is lots of photo copies never hand over originals,always be polite and dont lose your rag/argue the toss big smiles help, take sun glasses off when talking to officials ,Fill up with fuel at every opportunity -petrol seems to be prefered fuel , and know how your vehicle works -we got stuck in sand until the natives came and got us out later we found out all we had to do was click in the free wheeling hubs into the lock position , dont drive at night as the road is full of locals walking about sometimes drunk ,if you come across an accident dont stop !!!!! youll get the blame . Otherwise have a great time ,Oribi gorge ,Durban , Hlane ,Imhanbane ,Tofu And Sodwana bay are well recommended cheers Richie

I am planning a similiar trip . Edinburgh to Capetown down the Atlantic coast returning to Edinburgh up the east coast.

Leaving in October 2009.

Planning is fairly advanced (finances are whats getting sorted this year ;) ) and I am happy to share what i have so far. Drop me a PM.

Meantime

Carnet contact: Paul Gowen at the RAC. (a seriously nice guy who is the font of all knowledge in the UK) PKGowen@rac.co.uk.

(carnets may not be as expensive as you think.)

Lonley planet guides: Great resource http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/inde...pa?categoryID=1

Horizons Unlimited: http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/ Motorcycle based , but loads of great info in general.

I looked at other people trip reports and diaries managed to gleen loads of info with regards to borders and routes.

I am also looking to hook up with some traveling companions for some/all of the trip.

best o fluck

alan

What!!! I thought stepping on a mine, waiting for the 'click' & then placing a handy brick on top as you run away, was how it was done.

Please dont tell me that when you fire a 9mm round into a cars door, the whole vehicle wont blow up?!

I'm only joking of course. I know thats how mines DONT work, but I would like to know how they DO work. As crossing the Western Sahara involves travelling with a military convoy, it probably wont be an issue, but it might be handy to know anyway. Forewarned is forearmed and all that.

Martin

Don't panic Martin, no one has had to go in a military convoy from Morocco into Mauritania for years. There is a mine field, but there is also a tarmac road now! As long as you stay on the proper route, there is nothing to worry about at all.

Though there has just been a coup in Mauritania. So need to keep an eye on things.

Regards,

Diff

Is there any possibility of us all haveing a get together to talk about this ?

A camping weekend somewhere ???

If anyone wants to go for this i can offer a field and a trailer full of wood for a fire. Lots of lanes in easy reach and plenty to do if you just want to chill. In the Brecon Beacons National Park 10 miles from Abergavenny. I will be at Slindon on the 23rd of August and hope to have a break around the 20-28th Sept but any other Weekend would be fine. Been talking about a meet for some time so why not now??

Have space for plenty (see Website)

Mark

The actual Western Sahara route (from southern Moroc to Mauritania) is 1500 miles of track littered with land mines. Can be driven, but has to be with a military convoy. Non-negotiable.

I don't think this one is a problem anymore, did this in jan '07 in a fiat uno without any issue. There is actually a tarmac road all the way through southern morocco, and you must stick to this.

Between morocco and maurtania is a track with land mines, but it's purely for the border and is about a mile wide. The track is clear so don't stray from it.

Once you're in mauritania there are no more mines, and there is a tarmac road all the way through now. But you don't have to stick to that and it's much more fun if you hire a guide and go through the desert (I can't remember how much that cost).

Senegal is a bit more beuraucratic and they don't allow the import of cars over 5 years old into their country. This means that you'll have to pay for a customs official to sit in your car to make sure you don't sell it whilst you're there.

Getting through borders can be tricky, and each one is different, and even different crossings between the same countries can vary massively. Best thing to do is to have all your paperwork in place, and when they ask you for a bribe/cadaux/present, just play dumb. Keep handing them random bits of paper such as insurance documents, mot certificates, even gas bills. They'll eventually get bored and normally let you through.

You really need to work out where you want to go, and then look at the countries involved, and do as much research is possible. As I said each country is different, you'll want to find out from other people, internet, lonely planet books etc. as to where you should cross and any other bit's and pieces.

Oh and don't worry if the border police are holding you back for hours, this is normal!

She went to Eastnor and Billing looking for info and earlier this year did Uganda, Tanzania, Kenya and I think Mozambique where she has really got the interest from but then she was back packing, now she wants to do it in a LR.

It will take a while for her to get things together and gain confidence, driving experience and most importantly, some one to go with.

I will mention this thread to her.

It certainly sounds appealing if you take out the potential dangers.

Im the person mentioned above. Done a fair bit of backpacking, including Southern and East Africa but now i want to go down the west and up east Africa. This trip will hopefully be in a couple of years time. Before I go i need to do a bit of planning (starting a mechanics course in Sept and looking into what kit i need on my LR, and also a bit of off-road training) and need to find a co-driver/passenger so if anyone might be interested please get in touch.

If anyone wants to go for this i can offer a field and a trailer full of wood for a fire. Lots of lanes in easy reach and plenty to do if you just want to chill. In the Brecon Beacons National Park 10 miles from Abergavenny. I will be at Slindon on the 23rd of August and hope to have a break around the 20-28th Sept but any other Weekend would be fine. Been talking about a meet for some time so why not now??

Have space for plenty (see Website)

Mark

I am definalty interested in meeting up with peeps to talk africa/land Rovers. Its always good to get others travel tales :) Is anyone going to set a date and location for this?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Shipping costs will be up on what we paid this year.

Last August Immingham to Walvis Baay £1,300 with port fees at about £250.

This February Walvis Baay to Immingham £1,100 with port fees the same at Walvis Baay.

The shipping costs will vary with the cost of the Dollar against the pound on the day of shipping.

The port fees will vary with the cost of the Namibian Dollar against the pound.

Oh yes. The car isn't insured in tha container.

The problem with driving down seems to be the middle bit of Africa. We've put things on hold for a few weeks because of Margarets illness.

You will of course need two passports to get all the Visa you need.

mike

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the info ... that's a good post. Who did you use as your shipping agent/shipping company? (MACS ?) I'm planning a trip down to SA/Nam/Bots next year April - June.

Cheers,

Jack

Jack. Welcome to the forum

Yes we used MACS I'll ask Margaret to give you both our UK agent and our Namibia agent.

Where are you shipping to ? Be prepared for the ship to be a week late.

Have you any idea of your route yet. We can give you some lodge/camp sites in all three countries. April to June could be a bit early. Some places weren't open in August a couple of years ago.

Are you looking for wildlife ? Who doesn't in Africa.

Dotswana Wild Life People are changing thing 2009. You will no longer be able to arrive at a gate for a days game drive. You will have to book through their new agent system. So far nobody knows how this will work.

Now about an African meet.

COST for travel has hit me very hard. As I think it has hit everybody.

We're at Peterbrough this weekend.

How about a meet there ?? We have al our boks and pictures with us.

mike

Hi Mike,

Cheers for the welcome!

You used MACS; nice one! I've not heard anything bad from them reading the forums. I'd like to ship down to Cape Town if I can, however I understand that Walvis Bay is less hassle (?? any truth in this??) so any advice/pointers appreciated. I've also heard some good thinks from John Good & Sons; can you please forward me your agent details you used in South Africa/Namibia please.

Do you have any experience with RORO service? I seriously doubt my Landy will fit in a container (although I know it's preferable) ... not so sure about the 2inch lift including the roof tent ... hopefully I'll be able to test this in a container first. Do you need your Carnet papers all beforehand you get an agent?

The reason I'm leaving Apr-Jun is because of the the school term in the UK, and the rainy season usually dies down in Nam/Bots/Zambia, so the news about most places not open yet is a but concerning. More about the route later ;)

And yeah, cost is one thing, but I'm trying not to think about that! :P

And once again, cheers for the help! Definately meeting up at some stage!

Cheers,

Jack