Rover V8 thermostat housings!!!

MECCANO

Hello

Need some help from the collective.

It’s a very long story but I have found that a thermostat housing (at least from a range rover) has the right P.C.D and rough dimensions to get me out of a pickle.

My problem is, is that basically I need a v8 housing that's pipe connection either comes straight out of the manifold ( which i’m not sure exist), or is roughly 90 degrees from the bolt holes like so (form an Sd1 or p6???):

a828_1.jpg

The range rover one cranks off in completely wrong direction:

rangehousing.jpg

So my questions are:

Does the hole spacing vary on these housings or can I guarantee that any from a v8 will be roughly the same?

Can any one give me a better idea on the vehicle type that will have what i'm looking for : )

So far it just looks like any 2WD that had the engine fitted ( mgb,sd1,p6)

Chars muchly for any help, hopefully it should save a few hours of fabrication.

Chris

There are a vast number of them around, to my knowledge all have the same 2x bolt fitment up to ( and they may but I don't know for sure serpentine and thor V8s)

That leaves you Carb, 3.5 EFI,. 3.9 efi and with these there are variants ie A/Con and model years

Not sure I can work out what you are after, I am guessing a number of us have ariants - can you maybe mock up what your after ?

and then we can have a forum rummage :lol:

NONE come straight out - the top piccy one is that what you are after - but thats not yours more a piccie you have found ??

Nige

There are a vast number of them around, to my knowledge all have the same 2x bolt fitment up to ( and they may but I don't know for sure serpentine and thor V8s)

That leaves you Carb, 3.5 EFI,. 3.9 efi and with these there are variants ie A/Con and model years

Not sure I can work out what you are after, I am guessing a number of us have ariants - can you maybe mock up what your after ?

and then we can have a forum rummage :lol:

NONE come straight out - the top piccy one is that what you are after - but thats not yours more a piccie you have found ??

Nige

Sorry for the delayed response.

Okay I will give you a bit of the story.

I’m currently converting my 200tdi to take a 300tdi head.

The thermostat housing on the 300tdi turns through 180 degrees to direct the outlet towards the passenger side of the vehicle. Like so:

300tdi thermo....

I’m using a different radiator, as this is going into a series truck where the top pipe goes to the driver’s side.

I found that taking the rangie housing (2nd picture) it actually fits to the 300tdi :lol:

But as you will see in the bellow picture the outlet points straight down... and I need obviously to point to the driver’s side to prevent a bodgetastic network of hoses.

CopyofHPIM1963.jpg

The first picture I robbed off "the-bay" and i think its what im looking for. Although i dont think it needs to be chrome plated :)

Hopefully this has made it clearer... and the mention of diseasils hasn't scared you off :P

What about getting one made, to point at the drivers side? it'd just require a bit of pipe turning up to seat the thermostat at one end, and hold the hose at the other, welded to a flange made from a bit of plate?

Yeah i thought about it, but i already have a job list as long as... well a long thing. The above shiney housing i think is exaclty what i need... i just need to find one at a deblingerfied price!!!

• 4 months later...
Sorted!!!

Got a housing from a P6 and it fits like so:

05082008423.jpg

Thought it might be of help to some if they encounter the same problem.

I was going to ask about the 300 head, fitting to the 200tdi block as I am lead to believe this is what is going on, how have you got around te problem of the water pump to thermostat housing hose since the 300 tdi has the water pump on the opposite side to the 200 tdi set up?.....Now doing this conversion myself ( when the rest of the 300tdi bits turn up!!!)

Western...thats what is getting me in a tiz at the moment as the water pump by pass hose really needs to be as short as possible otherwise it'll end up as a big loop to accomodate the 300tdi thermostat hosing,....the difference between the Discovery 200tdi and the Defender 200tdi bypass hoses is that the Defender hose is fatter and shorter,...possibly because the defender will be working harder and needing to have a better water flow when the thermostat is shut? ( might be down to lower gearing???))

Meccano,...have you got your fuel system sorted?. have noticed the 300tdi injectors have a different thread on the injector pipe nuts: injector side.......do the 300tdi pipes actually fit?

Meccano,...have you got your fuel system sorted?. have noticed the 300tdi injectors have a different thread on the injector pipe nuts: injector side.......do the 300tdi pipes actually fit?

Sorry was only just pointed to this. i used 300tdi injector pipes, they couple straight to the 200tdi pump.

you cant use 200tdi pipes as the injectors are at more vertical angle.

As for the water pump bypass hose, i have various land rover pipes i have accumilated that will allow me to come out of the water pump go under the housing and do a 180 degree loop into the thermostat housing.

HTH

• 2 weeks later...

hi ...dude... just as i thought with the injector pipes,..... glad to hear they fit. I'm now in the process of rebuilding the 200tdi block then the 300tdi head'll be bolted on.... This engine is gonna be going into a LDV ambulance which used to have a Rover V8 engine in it......already done the conversion but the engine I put in was a lemon after the second head on it I've now run out of 200tdi heads!!!!