My First Defender

Hi all

I have been a bit of a lurker and have found some really great advice in the past so though I would post a hello and introducce my new baby

After a lifted Disco and my daily ride of a p38 RR HSE I have bought my first Defender as my dedicated toy

I think I have scored a good deal

White 1990 90 Van 200tdi conversion

she did 10k a year up to about 115k then from 2001 she has only covered 10k (sat in a garage for 18 months)

In the last 7 k the following has been changed

fuel tank

tdi conversion (40k miles with the engine being now on 44k)

refurbished diffs (now on 7k )

refurnished Tbox (now on 7k)

injectors

water pump

exhaust

Alternator

Battery

Swivels

Swivel housings

Rod ends

Front callipers

Front pads

Front Brakes

refurnished steering box

Power steering pump

Front propshaft

Rear A frame

Rear A frame ball joint

Panhard rod

radius arm bushes

Shock turrets

Steering column cv joints

5 New Tyres

So just a few things

Bad points are the rear cross member / bumper is rotted at the bottom under the tow hitch

Both Doors are hanging on by the door skin!

A few rusty bits on the top trim of the tub where the roof sits on it

The rear prop has shed a bush on one of the cv joints and is eating itself (the only mechanical part that wasn't changed!)

Body is tired, not one dent mind but could do with a bit of tidying but not that bothered as it is going to get a bit of a beating anyway.

So how much do you think?......

.......I got him down from £2250 to ....

.....£950 :)

I am rather chuffed with that

Now to find some doors that dont flap about in the wind even when shut :(

I will post up some pics shortly

Steve

Steve,

I'd say you got yourself something of a result :)

Welcome to LR4x4 :)

Mo

Cheers chap

I was in a right mood when I went to look at it as it took me 3.5 hours to do 51 miles (stupid road works) and with a screaming 10 week old baby for the last stretch of it.

Due to my mood I was a bit critical and down on it and made it out to be far worse than it was in my mind.

So was pleasantly surprised when I went to pick it up and saw it a second time. :P My mate who took me up in his 300tdi Disco was shown a fresh pair of heals as I nipped off, we were both surprised of how much quicker the 90 was, even with mew not giving it full beans due to the self consuming prop. I assume the 90 is a fair bit lighter than the Disco? i believe they have different diff ratios?

I just spent the last hour chopping bits of the inide of my garage door to get her to fit lol, I hope the new wheels and tyres I ordered doesn't raise her up any more!!!! and those portal axels (I wish) may have to wait :P

Don't forget to put aside every scrap of spare money you'll have for the next five years to buy bits for it :)

Mo

That has well and truly started

So far I have purchased

Insa Turbo Saharas on black 8 spoke steelies

Rear Prop

Indicator stalk unit

Diff Guards

Ordering next week

Safari Snorkel

Guardian Winch Bumper

TDS 6500 Winch

Set of replacement doors

Then we have on the list of things to do

Rear Cross member

Wire brush down the chassis and axels and paint

Swap rear axle to Disco one to upgrade to discs

Fit Torson diff to rear axle

Small lift kit

fun fun fun :)

Can I suggest that unless you plan on doing some serious mods to the motor, that the 6500 winch will not be appropriate for your truck.

Far better off getting the 9500.

Also, you might want to look for a snorkel that doesn't stick out of the side of the wing as they tend to loose in fights with trees etc. Southdown do a good one.

Can I suggest that unless you plan on doing some serious mods to the motor, that the 6500 winch will not be appropriate for your truck.

Far better off getting the 9500.

Also, you might want to look for a snorkel that doesn't stick out of the side of the wing as they tend to loose in fights with trees etc. Southdown do a good one.

Was mainly a cost thing but I hadn't noticed that the 9500 is hardly any more expensive, 9500 it is :)

I was a little worried about the side mounted Safari but as it was the most popular and all the other wing cutting ones looked like something I could have made I went for that. The Southdown looks very neat and with it being on special this month it is no more expensive.

Cheers chap