Steering Wheel

Disco0311

Hi:

I have been following your forums for a long time now. Maybe one of you can help me.

Problem: I replaced my horn switches and the wiper switch - I had to pull the steering wheel out - replaced the parts - now I cant place back the steering wheel back into posittion - It slides easily a little, but stops half way - this is causing a craking noise in the steering wheel when you turn it - Do I need a special tool ..... please I live far away from the mecanic, so I want to try to solve this.

thanks

Luis (2003 Discovery II, 60000 miles)

BogMonster, I just realize that the noise comes from the rotary coupler, this is because the steering wheel is not seating fully in. A couple of questions, 1. what does the rotary coupler do. 2. How do you know if it's broken.

Look's like you have disasemble the steering wheel before.

I think that maybe the problem is that I'm not using a new self locking nut. WHAT DO YOU THINK?

I will buy a new one and use a torque wrench. Which one should I buy, should I buy a normal one or a dial type torque meter. I ratter buy one that I will always use in my Disco.

Thanks, for you patience

Luis

It sounds like you have either fouled or broken the rotary coupler that connects the airbag unit to the vehicle harness. Suggest you take it off again and have a look.

I just realize that the noise is coming from the rotary coupler; How do you know if that piece is broken ...

I think that maybe the problem is that I'm not using a new self locking nut. WHAT DO YOU THINK?

I will buy a new one and use a torque wrench. Which I will should I buy, should I buy a normal one or a dial type torque meter. I ratter buy one that I will always use in my Disco.

Have you ever pull out a stering wheel and placed it back again? ANYBODY IN A DISCO 2003?

was there any dificulty?

Thanks, for you patience

Luis

It sounds like you have either fouled or broken the rotary coupler that connects the airbag unit to the vehicle harness. Suggest you take it off again and have a look.

If it is really broken then you will have airbag warning lights on the dash, and the horn will not work. You need to take the wheel off with the steering in the straight ahead position, do the centralise procedure on the coupler and then put the wheel on ensuring that it engages properly. Do it carefully because a new coupler is the wrong side of £200!

The torque on the steering wheel nut is not that critical IMHO, it just needs to be tight.

Hi:

No warning warning lights, and horn works / centralise procedure on the coupler? /HOW DO I DO THAT / does the wheel go in easily or you need to put some force to make it seat correctly.

Thanks

Luis

If it is really broken then you will have airbag warning lights on the dash, and the horn will not work. You need to take the wheel off with the steering in the straight ahead position, do the centralise procedure on the coupler and then put the wheel on ensuring that it engages properly. Do it carefully because a new coupler is the wrong side of £200!

The torque on the steering wheel nut is not that critical IMHO, it just needs to be tight.

The wheel should go on relatively easily I think but it is a long time since I had one off...

The coupler has only a certain amount of movement either way from the centre position before you rip the guts out of it. Basically it is a coiled up tape inside the plastic cassette. What you need to do is take the wheel off, then count the number of complete turns you can turn it clockwise (gently!) before you hit some resistance inside the coupler. Do NOT do this with any force or you will break it! Then you need to count back to the centre position (e.g. 3 turns) and do the same in the opposite direction till you hit slight resistance. You then need to position the coupler as near as you can get to mid-way between these two points, so that when the steering is on full lock one way or the other, it is within the range that the coupler can accommodate. Usually the "nearest straight ahead position" (where the wheel will engage with the coupler properly) is within about 1/4 turn or so of the midpoint.

Hope that is clear if you are not sure you should probably get somebody who is familiar with them to check it out as it is an expensive component to break with trial and error!

Problem solved

Hi:

Problem: I replaced my horn switches and the wiper switch - I had to pull the steering wheel out - replaced the parts - now I cant place back the steering wheel back into posittion - It slides easily a little, but stops half way - this is causing a craking noise in the steering wheel when you turn it - Do I need a special tool ..... please I live far away from the mecanic, so I want to try to solve this.

thanks

Luis (2003 Discovery II, 60000 miles)

A1. Thats an easy fix plus its a bit of secret. Basically the plastic part where the wiper switch goes into gets worn and once it comes off it moves. You need to mark the section where the nub was and then place it exactly where its supposed to go and tighten it down. It takes a bit of trial and error but once you are in the right spot no more noise.

A2. When you take the steering wheel off the part that holds the wiper switch and everything else relaxes and moves out of alignment thus causing the entire piece to come up and make the noise. Take off the piece by taking off the one screw and look on the part that goes on the shaft. You will see the little nub and the spot on the steering column where that nub is supposed to slided into, Its been worn away and now it wont seat right You have to align it manually and tighten the bolt down to eliminate the noise.

I work on Rovers. Got a question just ask.

Hi:

No warning warning lights, and horn works / centralise procedure on the coupler? /HOW DO I DO THAT / does the wheel go in easily or you need to put some force to make it seat correctly.

Thanks

Luis