OT: warranty period

Countax

well off topic, but one i thought i would raise with fellow forum'ers.

I always thought we only had 12mths warranty on products sold to consumers in the UK, but i have been doing some investigation and it seems that since Jan 1st 2002 there is an EU directive that all member states must adopt a 2 yr period for product conformity ( warranty ).

So, was i alone in thinking this or is it general knowledge that we now get 2 yrs warranty in uk?

Nigel

I guess I should know about this - but don't!

It would be good if it's true - from an environmental, tree hugging point of view if nothing else.

If you are worried about your Handbrake - for you, it has a 2 year warranty! :)

Si

I guess I should know about this - but don't!

It would be good if it's true - from an environmental, tree hugging point of view if nothing else.

If you are worried about your Handbrake - for you, it has a 2 year warranty! :)

Si

Si, No, not worried at all about the handbrake. Infact i feel it will outlast the rest of the vehicle its so well engineered!. I have to say its a great piece of kit.

The question came up at work as i was investigating warranty periods for IT products sold to consumers.

Nigel

I was looking into this recently for something....

In most of the EU the limit on manufacturers liability is 2 years but in the UK for some reason it's 6 years. After 6 years, they can wash their hands of any defect whether it is inherent in the design (i.e. "fit for purpose") or not.

Stephen,

Are the colonies in the EU or are you spared all that rubbish that come from Brussels ?

Mo

Mostly spared it - but as an Overseas Territory (not allowed to use the word colony these days!) where we don't have our own legislation then generally UK law applies, but not EU directives AFAIK.