Ringing noise inside rear prop?????

eds

A couple of days ago a strange noise started. It is a metalic ringing bell noise that appears to come from inside the tubular part of the rear diff. I jacked the rear far wheel and spun it. The noise appears to be about 10 inches from the rear diff and is very much like a nut or a stone is loose on the inside of the tubular part of the diff.

Could it be a noise tranmitted by the prop from the rear diff? I am not sure if this is possible.

Can anyone identify this for me as i don't have a clue.

Many thanks in advance

Ed

Thanks Western, i am understanding that you are refering to the giant ring that is right near the rear diff and when it is loose spins making a metalic wearing noise. I think i have had the same problem on the front prop right by the transfer box and so know what you mean.

This noise is something different and occurs when the wheel is spun at the lowest speed. It is very much a dinging hollow dry noise much like if the exhaust was tinngling on the engine but at a different frequency more akin to a stone moving inside the rear prop or could it be transfering a niose from somewhere else.

Thanks again

This prop shaft is as old as the vehicle. Are there any noises that sound like this that you can think of.

The noise is not totally constant and at higher speeds is not apparent. I would guess the centripetal force keeps the noise in check. There is no vibration, roughness, wearing noise or upset in the system. All seems smooth.

Just this very loud ringing bell dry noise. Has a bit of a crack to it. Audible above the engine. At random speeds and actions.

Failing UJ's sound right although i am not sure.

Is there a way to confirm this. Is it a simple job to fix or is it easier to buy a new replacement rear prop from Paddocks. And finally is it alright to drive on and will it just fail eventually or could it be dangerous.

Thanks again