Koni or scrapiron?

henk

I run for the moment +2 inch set (Orange scorpion front and blue Bearmach rear with Decarbon around)

I have been offered 2 possibilities:

- 4 new Koni heavy track raid for about £400 or

- almost complete Evolution kit +2 with turrets, springs, oram shocks etc for about £1000

Your advice please

Henk

Oram are very good. Made in Italy. Use Ohlins internals.

OME are yellow Monroes.

Tim, I've heard several reports that Oram aren't really up to the job when I comes to high speed use. This may not be so much of an issue for potential customers but then why spend the extra over OME (I never had complaints with their quality) or Koni (I've heard some good reports). Unless, of course you want a very long shock in which case Pro Comp do a good range in cheap, long shocks. I've got no first hand experience Orams though so I'm only going on what I've been told.

Tim, I've heard several reports that Oram aren't really up to the job when I comes to high speed use. This may not be so much of an issue for potential customers but then why spend the extra over OME (I never had complaints with their quality) or Koni (I've heard some good reports). Unless, of course you want a very long shock in which case Pro Comp do a good range in cheap, long shocks. I've got no first hand experience Orams though so I'm only going on what I've been told.

Big rod long travel shock for a specific purpose. Not designed for high speed use. No bypasses, no blow-off.

Doesn't mean its a bad shock, just means it is being used in the wrong application. Never built as a desert race / high speed shock.

Can't really make a straight comparison between a long travel big rod shock and a more normal design. What about pistons, valving, seals? More to it than two bits sliding in and out of each other :P

Tim

PS last bit is good natured sarcasm and should be taken as such!! Don't want to get misunderstood ;)

Original Orams are good for a long travel damper for challenge events but in my opinion not a high speed damper for compsafari ,also im having trouble tracking down rebuild kits for them and new rods as mine have pitted and wiped out the seals. This is annoying as you pay extra for a rebuildable dampers only to find out that you can't get the spares !!

Tim, you've run them, I haven't. However this doesn't sound too good - the plating on the shaft of an expensive shock should last. I'd certainly be concerned if my rod that goes in and out turned brown and pitted :P

Original Orams are good for a long travel damper for challenge events but in my opinion not a high speed damper for compsafari ,also im having trouble tracking down rebuild kits for them and new rods as mine have pitted and wiped out the seals. This is annoying as you pay extra for a rebuildable dampers only to find out that you can't get the spares !!

Will

You should stop using a water based lube!

Tim

A simple boot over the exposed rod would stop it turning brown and pitted !!! I don't think durex make one long enough or thick enough to survive a good dirty weekend session. A marine based lube would solve your other problems :o