FUEL TANK PRESSURE

My 1989 Land rover 90 is not performing to well at the moment, and I do have a strange problem

whenever I remove the filler cap from the diesel tank there is a huge build of pressue in the tank and it blows the cap out of my hand. I have replaced the cap but no change, anybody else had this problem? I am a bit worried it will blow the tank apart if I dont keep an eye on it.

Is your new cap a vented one? & check the tank breather hoses aren't kinked/blocked.

I had exactly the same problem with mine (it's a 1989 110) when I had the original 2.5 TD engine in it. After I changed the engine over to a Tdi (and used the later Tdi filter / housing) the problem ceased. The filler cap is the original, and vented. The tank breather was all ok and clear too.

I can only put it down to something in the design of the filter/leak off/return of the original setup - it's been perfect since??? :huh:

Matt

THIS IS QUITE A COMON PROBLEM ON 2.5 TD ENGINES

THE DIAPHRAM ON THE INJECTOR PUMP HAS SPLIT AND IS CAUSING

TURBO AIR PREASURE TO RELEASE INTO THE FUEL RETURN PIPE

AND BACK INTO THE TANK

THE DIAPHRAM UNIT IS ON THE SIDE OF THE INJECTOR PUMP

NEAREST THE ENGINE 2 PIPES GOING INTO IT

IT IS A SWINE OF A JOB TO REPLACE

ONE OF MY CUSTOMERS ALMOST LOST AN EYE WHEN THE FUEL CAP

FLEW OFF WHEN HE WENT TO FILL UP WHITH DIESEL

SO BE WARNED

The job is relatively easy. You can get the side part off the pump without removing the pump.

Unless you are near a Lucas main agent, getting the parts are more of a problem!

I used a diaphragm from a scrapped pump, a mate got a new one from the Lucas agent.

The job is deatiled on the old forum LRA (formerly LRE) but I cannot make the search function work at the moment!

As regards to performance. It'll make a small difference as it affects the amount of fuel added to compensate for the increased air available from the turbo.

The other side effect (aside from tank pressure) is that after a run, and on idle fuel can be pushed up the pipe to the turbo. If it goes far enough you get a bit of fuel added to the air and the engine will race momentarily. Hopefully, as the engine races turbo pressure increases and pushes the fuel back down the pipe!

LINK NOW FOUNDLINK 1

LINK 2

Well that's cleared up a problem that my Brother-in-law has.

He has this same problem of pressurising the fuel tank and fuel also going up the wastegate actuator pipe. A local garage said the diaphragm is split and causing the problem. Thanks for confirming that Gwyn, anyone got any idea where to get a diaphragm from?

Les. :)

LUCAS FUEL PUMP DIAPHRAM ABOUT £15.00

CAN GET THEM FOR YOU IF IT IS ANY HELP OR CONTACT

YOUR NEAREST LUCAS AGENT

IF YOUR GOING TO REPLACE IT WATCH YOU

DONT MIXE THE 2 SPRINGS UP I THINK THE WEAKEST

SPRING IS ON THE OUTSIDE

I RECOMEND YOU DISCONECT THE AIR PIPE FROM

THE TURBO AND PLUG THEM INTILL YOU FIX THE PROBLEM

HAVE SEEN THEM BLOW HEAD GASGETS ON START UP

BECAUSE DIESEL HAS GONE INTO THE MANIFOLD

IT COULD EAVEN DO MORE DAMAGE

GWYN 01938 810298

Ok, My brother-in-law has just replaced the diaphragm. He got a 'kit' from his local diesel repair garage and it was £22 inc vat. The more powerful spring goes in the housing, then the diaphragm, and the weaker spring last. He did the job with the pump still on the vehicle and says thet the job wasn't too bad to do and the old diaphragm was in bits.

The engine is now more reponsive and the turbo is now working correctly.

One of those jobs that give you a sense of satisfaction.

Les. :)