Tuneful noises

Sorry to pester you all with yet another question on noises, but recently our 1996 300Tdi 90 has started to make a VERY loud whistle/squeak under acceleration. I'm starting to get used to its strange oddities and rattles now (this is our first 'proper' land rover) but this one seems like it needs sorting.

It also made a different noise when comming off the accelerator after a long motorway run the other week, but performance as yet dosen't seem to have been too affected. I was wondering if the injectors could make this kind of noise if they were on the way out, or have I got the wrong idea? :unsure:

It was only a matter of time I suppose, it has been perfectly reliable for at least 2 months now so I guess we are due for a problem...

The noise isn't typical of an injector problem. The turbo should whistle, so that part may be normal. The belt tensioner on the 300TDi engine has a habit of squeaking when the bearing is worn. You can check the bearing quite easily by unhooking the belt off of it and then spinning it by hand.

You can only buy a complete tensioner assembly from the usual parts supplier, but it is quite easy to buy the bearing seperately and fit it yourself - thereby saving around £40.

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=3904

Les.

I have an odd noise in my 90 a nice .. but very annoying squeak. Mine though is not due to the engine but a loose door mirror bolt i believe or at least something along those lines.

Is it definately the engine not the transmission....prop/wheel bearings ?

I have an odd noise in my 90 a nice .. but very annoying squeak. Mine though is not due to the engine but a loose door mirror bolt i believe or at least something along those lines.

Is it definately the engine not the transmission....prop/wheel bearings ?

the last strange whining /whistling noise i had on my 110 sounded like a police siren....was the turbo failing....all i can suggest...(i may get corrected)is to take the pipe of the front of the turbo and grab the nut in the middle of the fins and wiggle...it should have a couple off mm play i beleive but a lot like mine is bad.....Also look for markings around the inside of the casing where the fin spins...and silver paste ...caused by a little oil and aluminium filings.... that was the only symtom i had of it failing.....cheers

I had a similar noise in similar circumstances on my 200Tdi once, and my sister-in-law had it in a works van (fnarrr!). In both cases it was split turbo hoses. This means that the turbo spins VERY fast in an attempt to produce pressure in the inlet. With the engine off, feel all round the rubber hoses going to and from the intercooler. There will be a split in a hard to reach place so be thorough.

Chris

Thanks guys, I've just had another more detailed look at the turbo-intercooler pipes and found that there is a 1/2 inch split on the underside of the top hose! Can't believe that I didn't feel it before, although it would explain whay going up a long but gentle hill the other day ~50mph was all it had to give in 4th or 5th!!! I'm replacing all the oils this weekend anyway so I shall add this to the list as well.

Right, what started out as just a noise has now turned into a right pain... Whilst etting under the car to change the oil, I noticed that there was a bit to much play in the front propshaft. Having now removed it it is apparent that one of the universal joints is totally trashed to the point that I am now in posession of three bearing pieces seperate from the uni-joint! I've got a kit to replace the joint but I can't seem to get the old bearings out. Is there a trick that I am missing, or is it really new propshaft time??

I knew I was due a problem but wasn't expecting this as it hasn't to my knowledge been heavily used off road (based on who owned it last and the condition of everything else underneath it :(