Leaking Fuel Pump

crozzy

I bought a 90 a year ago and have had to change most of the fuel system as the tank was leaking, but when I came to replace the tank the one on the 90 had been drilled to allow for an overflow pipe and so all the fuel lines were wrong and needed replacing.

I was told that a diesel fitter had replaced the fuel pump with a new one and done the modifications.

My problem is the engine is hunting and puffing out blue smoke each time it seems to miss, but when I drive there's very little smoke at all

but I have found diesel fuel pooling on the engine mount bracket just under the pump but no fuel lines are leaking.

Question, Has the fuel pump got a drain plug underneath as its very hard to see under the pump without taking it off. ?

Crozzy

There's a diaphragm inside the pump and a small vent hole on the underside of the pump casing. If the diaphragm leaks - fuel either goes into the engine sump and/or comes out of the hole.

Les.

Thanks for the reply Les.

Would that mean that my fuel system would be drawing air into it causing the hunting of the engine or is it nothing to be concerned about?

There's a diaphragm inside the pump and a small vent hole on the underside of the pump casing. If the diaphragm leaks - fuel either goes into the engine sump and/or comes out of the hole.

Les.

Thanks Les is it something that can be repaired or do I need a new pump

Pumps are cheap enough, so just replace it. There are repair kits available for some pumps, but I never bother. Just because fuel is leaking out doesn't necessarily mean that air is getting in, but it might be. Replace the pump and see if it cures the problem.

Les.