Thinking ISUZU 2.8 Turbo into Landy

Just been to York (Elvington) and back to Warrington towing a Caterham on a single axel trailer, 200 miles from brimming tank Sunday morning to brimming tank this evening.(not in a landy)

Ran in tandam with my mate in his 200tdi landy 90 pulling an Areil Atom + trailer and left him on the hills

Can you guess the fuel consumption at a steady 60 to 70mph each way.

My vehicle was, you guessed it, an Isuzu KB crew cab pickup loaded with gear and Caterham on the trailer.

The Isuzu has a 2.8 turbo diesel engine and weighs in empty at just over 1900 kilos, if you add the gear and car +trailer and three of us in it we are looking at about 3 tons all up weight.

This engine is a popular conversion for a landy and I would recomend it, mine has been ultra reliable and has no electronics to drown when wading :D

The engine returned, wait for it, thirty one point two five miles to the gallon :D

Mileage was correct and fuel put in was correct even waiting for the bubbles to come up and brimming the tank.

So if you are thinking of putting one in the Landy then go for it, they are bullet proof, mine has no timing belt to break and the only electrics are for the fuel shut off valve, so with snorkle etc you are safe to go swimming with it :D:D

I don't believe transplanting an Isuzu lump into any Land Rover is a Panacea for a Defender's fuel consumption or performance.

A decent TDi is a proven and very good engine and the TD5 is a very good performance and economy thanks to the use of engine management

As for "camblet issues" well, that's just common sense, reasonable maintenance with scheduled cambelt changes will prevent disaster. A timing chain design certainly doesn't cure it..

Isuzu's 2.8TDi is an old design, it's been around forever. I recall how popular they were when I lived in South Africa in the 80-90's

Indeed they are bulletproof, rock steady mills and if they can stand up to the abuse that company pick up drivers put them through in the hot Southern African climate, they should stand up to anything a Land Rover owner throws at it

IMO the difference in fuel consumption is way beyond engines.. it can be attributed to aerodynamics more than anything else. The Land Rover is a brick, whereas the Isuzu pick up has flowing lines that pushes the air past it reducing fule usage. It certainly does make a significant difference

There is a Defender at the Bristol Land Rover Owners' Club with an Isuzu 2.8TDi and performance wise it's no better than the 300TDi in my 90, but I was impressed at how simple the transplant was. No excess plumbing or pasta-like wiring, just a very neat Isuzu lump under the Defender's bonnet with a Kenlow fan keeping the fluids cool at low speeds

I agree with the areodynamics being much better and it is lower to the ground than a landy but I'm amazed et the fuel consumption at high speed with the trailer, I usually stick to 50 ish with a heavier twin axel and can get 35 with a car on.

The trip I did on Sunday was over the pennines at speed as well which as you may know is a bit of a climb in places, so all in all a very frugal motor.

Be interesting to hear of Isuzu transplant fuel figues though.

My challenge truck is powered by 2.8 isuzu.

From my experiance with old (my price range) Isuzu trooper engines:-

uk spec had cam belts.

Import spec had timing gears.

I have removed the covers from an engine which had gears for a customer ready to fit a replacement belt.

the customer had been charged for belt replacement in the past.

The newer isuzu king cab trucks I think are timing gears.

As for the transplant.

I have done several into 90's, series, and a light weight.

The only slight complication has been that I have had to fabricate an exhaust to cross from under one side of the engine to the other so I could join to existing pipe work.

I wouldn't remove a 200 or 300 or td5 in order to fit a Isuzu but would consider it as a cheaper alternative if the original engine had died.

Hi

I know of two people how have had the 2.8 turbo engines out of isuzu tropers and they have both now taken them out and put in landrover tdi engines. They both comented that the fuel consumption was similar to that of a landover.

Andy

• 4 weeks later...

post-5572-1220293974_thumb.jpg

Hi

I know of two people how have had the 2.8 turbo engines out of isuzu tropers and they have both now taken them out and put in landrover tdi engines. They both comented that the fuel consumption was similar to that of a landover.

Andy

hi guys,

i have had a 2.8 in mine for about 12months now,MPG is about 35ish no matter how hard its driven,it never seems to get hot,

! the exhaust was a nightmare to fab,preformance not to bad,as no intercooler fitted as yet,

only boob i made was put disco T/BOX on instead of defender,need to do 60ish to get into 5th,all in all very pleased.

cheers

steve...post-5572-1220293880_thumb.jpg

post-5572-1220293974_thumb.jpg

hi guys,

i have had a 2.8 in mine for about 12months now,MPG is about 35ish no matter how hard its driven,it never seems to get hot,

cheers

steve...post-5572-1220293880_thumb.jpg

Mine doesn't get hot very quick either even after putting in new thermostat. It does run just below normal after a few miles though.

I think it's something to do with the thermal efficiency of the engine, produces power rather than heat, intercooler is a good idea, keep a good clean air filter, unrestricted (straight through) exhaust and cold air feed and feel the power when that turbo comes in. :D

Been running an Isuzu in my 110 for three years now, 100% bullet proof with stupendous fuel consumption, 35 mpg normal use with around 25mpg with big ifor and a load on. Runs up and down the M6 at a steady 70 over Shap no bother. So far only issues have been the exhaust, bought a "special" system from the man in Rochdale didn't fit, !! I think his was for a normal one with LT77 box or for a RR ? I have a Santana gearbox which may have made a difference but a good cut and shut has sorted it and it is all working well.

One thing the Japs can make is good diesels I have a collection in various LR products.

I don't believe transplanting an Isuzu lump into any Land Rover is a Panacea for a Defender's fuel consumption or performance.

A decent TDi is a proven and very good engine and the TD5 is a very good performance and economy thanks to the use of engine management

Sorry to be blunt Mondo, but are you mad? I run a Td5 Discovery and I believe the fuel consumption figures are comparable to the 110 Defender of the same age. Average 'normal' driving gets between 25 and 28 MPG and running with a 1500kg trailer brings me down to 22ish and it won't maintain 60 on the hills. Thats nearly 10 MPG less than Landowner's quoting. I used to get slightly better than this out of my old 200Tdi before it recieved huge tyres!

I don't know the power figures figures for the Isuzu, but if Landowner's right then it's got to be a better swap than 200 or 300 Tdi, or even Td5.

Sorry to be blunt Mondo, but are you mad? I run a Td5 Discovery and I believe the fuel consumption figures are comparable to the 110 Defender of the same age. Average 'normal' driving gets between 25 and 28 MPG and running with a 1500kg trailer brings me down to 22ish and it won't maintain 60 on the hills. Thats nearly 10 MPG less than Landowner's quoting. I used to get slightly better than this out of my old 200Tdi before it recieved huge tyres!

I don't know the power figures figures for the Isuzu, but if Landowner's right then it's got to be a better swap than 200 or 300 Tdi, or even Td5.

I can get 45/50 mpg if I drive at 45mph on a run and 30+ round town but I'm cheating because I have a straight through exhaust, cold air feed to inlet and the engine is in a super sleek (compared to landy) aerodynamic body. It is heavier though at just a shade below 2000kg with fuel and driver

post-10430-1220371146_thumb.jpg :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Put one in my old 110. had a n/a in, but changed the t.box as well, LOVELY engine, revs to over 5000 rpm so you can hold it open for longer. power easily adjusted with the screw on the fuel pump, regularly got 33mpg on 110 with roof rack, would hold 85mph, never get hot, OH!!!!!! and this one didnt even have an intercooler as the n/a radiator (full width) was 6 months old, so didnt want to replace it and it was well quick! Cant wait till the ol 300 blows up, coz i'm goin' back to zoozoo land.

Popped a 2.8 Isuzu lump in my 90 earlier this year.

Again had no problems with the transplant except the exhaust thing again, but that is soon to be sorted, no intercooler yet, but got one ready to pop in. Was running on a 1.6 Transfer box to begin with now running a 1.2 Transfer box. brilliant engine and very reliable with lots of power I am getting a regular 35-37 mpg with my AT's on and around 32 mpg with my big MT's on.

Would recommend the transplant to anyone great engine and absolutely no fuss, and it really likes Bio-diesel or vegi oil and still returns the same MPG.

I almost didn't bother fitting a fan to mine because with my V8 radiator it never seems to get hot, have the fan fitted now but very rarely turn it on even when off-roading.

i'm quite interested in this conversion myself, can anybody tell me what needs to be changed/modded in terms of mounting/mechanicals, electrics arent a problem for me. Obviously engine mounts will need changing, do you need a conversion plate for the gearbox and if so where do you get one?

Thanks

Good conversion did mine about 4 years ago, Conversion and Precision do the kit from originally Milners patterns, they can supply everything, only tricky bit seems to be to get the exhaust right. Wiring is relatively straight forward and you use the isuzu power steering pump modded to fit LR steering box.

In my 110 i get excellent fuel consumption, plenty of grunt and it really is bullet proof with none of the tdi issues of head gaskets etc etc. Burgins in Wales have customers with over 250k on these engines and still bring new ones in to re engine the nasty 3.0 Isuzu's which had a propensity to self explode.

i fitted isuzu 2.8 into my high-cap 18 months ago best thing i have done, 35 mpg all the time no matter how hard i drive, pulls like hell & very reilable. got kit from conversion & persion including exaust down pipe. i have other landrover with tdi's in them & also have no complants but the isuzu is the better drive,quite & better on fuel. was very easy to fit too. go for it !!!!

• 4 weeks later...
i fitted isuzu 2.8 into my high-cap 18 months ago best thing i have done, 35 mpg all the time no matter how hard i drive, pulls like hell & very reilable. got kit from conversion & persion including exaust down pipe. i have other landrover with tdi's in them & also have no complants but the isuzu is the better drive,quite & better on fuel. was very easy to fit too. go for it !!!!

I've mulling a conversion to the 2.8, there have been some doubts over the 3.1 being weak and liable to explode - is this true? An Oz Isuzu forum seems to think the 3.1 is ok, any ideas anyone? I'd seen C & P do a plate and kit for the 3.1 and there seem to be quite a few 3.1s on the road not that makes them cheap.

Can anyone give me a rough idea of cost for the adaption kit? I'm just comming to the end of my 110 rebuild with a new 300tdi, and to be honest when I feel the need to tinker again, this is what I think I'd like to do, drop a 2.8 in.

Regards

Andi

• 4 weeks later...
I've mulling a conversion to the 2.8, there have been some doubts over the 3.1 being weak and liable to explode - is this true? An Oz Isuzu forum seems to think the 3.1 is ok, any ideas anyone? I'd seen C & P do a plate and kit for the 3.1 and there seem to be quite a few 3.1s on the road not that makes them cheap.

Its the 3.0 engine, 98 on Troopers, not the 3.1 that has a tendency to grenade. The 3.1 is an indirect injection version of the 2.8, not as efficient but quieter. I reckon a 2.8 with gear cam drive would be the ultimate expedition engine with that economy, but having said that, the cam belts are easy to change & don't f**k up like LR ones do (did?)

Steve

• 2 weeks later...
Just been to York (Elvington) and back to Warrington towing a Caterham on a single axel trailer, 200 miles from brimming tank Sunday morning to brimming tank this evening.(not in a landy)

Ran in tandam with my mate in his 200tdi landy 90 pulling an Areil Atom + trailer and left him on the hills

Can you guess the fuel consumption at a steady 60 to 70mph each way.

My vehicle was, you guessed it, an Isuzu KB crew cab pickup loaded with gear and Caterham on the trailer.

The Isuzu has a 2.8 turbo diesel engine and weighs in empty at just over 1900 kilos, if you add the gear and car +trailer and three of us in it we are looking at about 3 tons all up weight.

This engine is a popular conversion for a landy and I would recomend it, mine has been ultra reliable and has no electronics to drown when wading :D

The engine returned, wait for it, thirty one point two five miles to the gallon :D

Mileage was correct and fuel put in was correct even waiting for the bubbles to come up and brimming the tank.

So if you are thinking of putting one in the Landy then go for it, they are bullet proof, mine has no timing belt to break and the only electrics are for the fuel shut off valve, so with snorkle etc you are safe to go swimming with it :D:D

Can any one tellme where I can buy a conversion kit for my discovery 1 300TDI Automatic

Are there pictures available of a conversion proccess??

Thank you

Anna