Squealing/Growling under load....

rhydgte

So far I have replaced Transfer Box, Front Prop, Front Disks & Pads, oil in gearbox and transfer box also one front and one rear wheel bearing and yet the damn thing STILL has this annoying deep sounding intermittent squeal coming from somewhere when under load at low revs (e.g accelerating in 4th when doing 35mph), when driving it sounds as if it's coming from the front somewhere, doesn't matter if I'm steering or driving in a straight line, same conditions (engine under load at low speeds) and it'll do it every time, could swear I can feel something through the steering wheel when it happens but not 100% sure either..

It sounds horrible, if I raise the rpm it'll go away.

The only noticeable change in performance is it seems a bit dead in 1st (revs but doesn't speed up as much as it used too!?) but in all other gears it goes fine.

Any ideas? CV Joint? Bearing?

Hope someone can help as this 'change it and see' approach is proving to be rather expensive so far :(

So this noise happpens at low revs in a high gear, on load?

I would be checking everything to do with the inlet of the engine. From the airfilter, through the hoses to the turbo, then the hoses from the turbo to the intercooler and finally the hose between the intercooler and the inlet manifold.

What you will be looking for are any splits or delamination of the hoses, so you will need to take each one off and examine the inside. If they feel soft and/or if there is any delamination, fit new ones.

Just my thoughts

Cheers & good luck

Dave

So this noise happpens at low revs in a high gear, on load?

I would be checking everything to do with the inlet of the engine. From the airfilter, through the hoses to the turbo, then the hoses from the turbo to the intercooler and finally the hose between the intercooler and the inlet manifold.

What you will be looking for are any splits or delamination of the hoses, so you will need to take each one off and examine the inside. If they feel soft and/or if there is any delamination, fit new ones.

Just my thoughts

Cheers & good luck

Dave

Cheers for suggestion, it pulls like a train (with no whistling noises etc) so i struggle to imagine any problems with inlet side tbh, I 99% believe it's a transmission/mechanical problem, had my dad drive it today he thinks it does it worse at low revs on over run, should that make any difference to fault finding?!

Am going to drop the diff oils and replenish with fresh oil see if that makes any difference..

Diff oils changed noise still the same, worse in 3rd & 4th when going down a hill when braking, if i shove it in neutral while the noise is there it goes straight away (so that rules out anything to do with brakes)

Still does it when pulling away on the flat in a higher gear than really needed