D1 towbar on D2??

Mean Green

I have a genuine LR adjustable towbar (Dixon Bate type) for a D1. As far as I can see it looks like it will all line up correctly for fitment on my D2 (to replace the Witter already fitted).

On checking part numbers the D1 & D2 bars are very slightly different - IIRC they are one digit different.

Before I go to the bother of stripping the old towbar off - does anyone know if it will fit a TD5?

thanks

I didn't think they would, but then I was looking at fitting my custom made D1 bar to the D2 which was a different arrangement - I couldn't be sure about the genuine article. At a guess I would say the side bars are a different length and maybe the angle of the crossmember where it bolts on might be slightly different but I guess the only way to be sure is get the spanners out...

I didn't think they would, but then I was looking at fitting my custom made D1 bar to the D2 which was a different arrangement - I couldn't be sure about the genuine article. At a guess I would say the side bars are a different length and maybe the angle of the crossmember where it bolts on might be slightly different but I guess the only way to be sure is get the spanners out...

Hmm thanks Mr Monster.

Looking at it it looks kinda right but as you say the only way to be sure will be to strip it down.

The bolts just looks as if they have not moved for a while!! Need to get the WD40 out! I was trying to avoid "wasting" time if someone else had been there already.

The back end of the D2 is longer than a D1, so my guess would be no. You would end up with the drop plate hanging down way short of the rear bumper.

Having said that, the mounting points all appear to be the same, so you could make some longer stays and get away with it.

Now you mention it I think the D2 crossmember mount has a sort of "swan neck" fitting to bring it out from the crossmember and under the bumper. I think that's why mine wouldn't fit because as you say the bumper is much further back from the crossmember that the tow kit bolts to.

Hi,

I have fitted a D2 towbar to a D1. The Drop plate was okay, but the problem was with the stays to the chassis which required some serious re-engineering to clear the fuel tank. Although the D2 is longer in the rear, the mounting position has moved. It did fit and work fine. Hope this helps, even though it was in reverse.

Best Wishes

Mike