Battery light dimly lit all the time

Possibly the most stupid question asked on this forum, but is the output in AC or DC? I thought AC (isn't that what an alternator does?) but if it is, the readings I am taking are twice what they should be and bang on for DC so I want to be sure.

The AC generated by the alternator is in fact 3 phase AC. it only comes out of the alternator as DC though, as it's rectified inside the alternator.

You should have no (negliable) AC current across the alternator ouput and ground. A multimeter may possibly pick up a few ripples and give you a very small reading.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have a somewhat strange behavior of battery indicator (110, 1987, diesel).

When I turn the ignition on, the battery indicator starts glowing and stays like that even after the ending start running. It keeps glowing until I rev the engine up. After that the indicator stays off even if the engine goes idling.

Is it a problem?

I also noticed some white stuff on the battery contacts.

Is it a problem?

The alternator exciting circuit (the Warning light circuit) is not energising the alternator properly, instead, the stray magnetic currents in the alternator are excting itself. Check the wattage of the battery warning light in the dash, and check that the WL connection is good on the back of the alternator.

It's not a problem as such, apart from what you've outlined - i.e. having to increase the engine speed to properly excite the alternator.

also check/adjust the idle revs to 750/800rpm if they are to low it can cause the charge warning light to come on, I've had it on my 200Tdi.

It's not the idle revs because the battery light persists until I rev it up quite significantly, probably to 2000-2500 RPM (can't say exactly).

Thanks for all the replies - huge help!

I did some reading on the topic:

http://www.alternatorparts.com/understanding_alternators.htm

http://www.alternatorparts.com/FAQ.htm#one%20wire

Maybe what I have is a self exciting one-wire alternator? On the other hand, the battery light seems to be working, so it must be wired to work using the two wire setup.

I think I know why my battery light keeps glowing until I rev the engine up. It's because the alternator fails to get excited, and why is that happening? It's probably because the ignition light resistor, which is connected in parallel to the battery indicator, is dead. With no resistor, the current flowing through the bulb alone is probably not enough to excite the alternator.

What's left is easy: to replace the resistor! Does anybody have any idea where can I find it on the truck?