Vibration Under Acceleration

tuko

Today our 300Tdi Auto Disco developed a serious vibration under acceleration between 40 - 50 kph that can be felt through out the vehicle, but in particular the steering wheel does some serious vibrating. There has been nothing out of the ordinary with the Disco as of late that would suggest something in particular for me.

The local LR mechanic suggested when I called him that it might be a loose brake pad or a loose wheel bearing. Just came in from removing both front tires, rechecking the hub bearing and visually checking the brake pads everything is OK there. But when I took the Disco for another drive, the vibration is still there.

While I was out there, I checked all the u-joints, checked/re tightened all the bolts associated with the drive shafts and greased then.

At this point I'm out of ideas other than it might be in the transmission ( I Hope Not ) Yes, the transmission oil level is up, the oil is the typical clearish red color and doesn't smell burnt.

Any suggestions out there, considering that this vehicle is the other halves daily commuter to work.

Thanks,

Todd.

I would always check the cheap things first, Todd. Sounds like prop UJ's to me....

Or the transfer box front output bearing. Or even the rear one, maybe.

I would put my money on the front prop rear UJ :)

Ok, I now read that you have checked them. So I would hope the bearings... Also cheap.

Engine and gearbox mountings ok?

I would put my money on the front prop rear UJ

Jim,

lying under the Disco, I couldn't see of feel any problem with the front prop BUT once it was off......

The front prop rear UJ had one cup nearly totally destroyed on the inside where I couldn't see it.

Thanks for the diagnoses Jim, you were right on the money.

Cheers,

Todd.

Quick question relating to this subject,

With the front prop off and the vehicle's difflock engaged, can we drive highway speeds without causing any damage? The other half has been thinking of heading to the cottage tomorrow, which is approx. 60km drive.

Todd.

Yes in theory you can, in practice when driving with one prop off there tends to be an awesome amount of backlash in the transmission so probably best to drive carefully to avoid overloading anything. In terms of the torque through the transmission it should not be a problem as in the higher gears there is much less torque through the transmission than when giving it sh*& in low range with both ends connected :)