Annoying knock

An annoying knock around the front offside appears from time to time. When I say knock it sounds like a hammer tapping against a plate! It only seems to appear when I am a bit heavy on the brakes. Does anyone know what it could be?

An annoying knock around the front offside appears from time to time. When I say knock it sounds like a hammer tapping against a plate! It only seems to appear when I am a bit heavy on the brakes. Does anyone know what it could be?

An annoying knock is probably a diesel engine. Need a V8.

Seriously, it needs some fairly urgent investigation. Loose wheel nuts, propshaft bolts, caliper bolts, all be bad news if left. 20 minutes with a socket set sooner rather than later.

Checked the prop shafts and replaced one joint but still there. Sounds like a small hammer tapping on the stone guard behind the wheel hub, but all seems solid. Also seems to happen when i'm slowly edging out and tap the brake a bit heavy. Am going to take the wheel off tomorrow.

Checked the prop shafts and replaced one joint but still there. Sounds like a small hammer tapping on the stone guard behind the wheel hub, but all seems solid. Also seems to happen when i'm slowly edging out and tap the brake a bit heavy. Am going to take the wheel off tomorrow.

if frequency changes with speed it's sounds like something out of line or warped. Check calipers, pad wear etc too. When you have the wheel off rotate fully looking for rubbing points on disc.

Steve

if frequency changes with speed it's sounds like something out of line or warped. Check calipers, pad wear etc too. When you have the wheel off rotate fully looking for rubbing points on disc.

Steve

Thanks a lot for the feedback on and all. Didn't manage to take off the wheel today school holidays took over, will be be checking as soon as.

p.s. it is always a single tap :)

Thanks a lot for the feedback on and all. Didn't manage to take off the wheel today school holidays took over, will be be checking as soon as.

p.s. it is always a single tap :)

could it be the pads shifting in the calipers as on a discovery they are known to get worn so much that the pad touches the hub and when you apply the brake they bite and rotate thus making a tap as they hit the caliper in the correct postion.hope you get to the bottom of it mate.