Not a good day!

Its been one of those days and not just because of the rain!

I started out to change the headlights on my 90 from sealed beams to crystal halogen ones. First hurdle was trying to remove rusted screws from the retainer ring but manged it in the end and eventually got both lights in, however.. I need to adjust them as they are badly out, does anyone know how to do this at home??

I then went out to the shops still raining..... and on my way home the wipers just stop working!

seems I have a dodgy fuse that has blown but it is shorting out somewhere...

Also.. I discovered that my reversing light and front passenger sidelight have also stopped working, I'm hoping its just the bulbs!

Ahhhhh!!

Borrowed this off a website. Relates to "lucas, prince of darkness"

* The Lucas motto: "Get home before dark."

* Lucas denies having invented darkness. But they still claim "sudden, unexpected darkness"

* Lucas--inventor of the first intermittent wiper.

* Lucas--inventor of the self-dimming headlamp.

* The three-position Lucas switch--DIM, FLICKER and OFF.

* The other three switch settings--SMOKE, SMOLDER and IGNITE.

* Lucas dip-switch positions: LOW and BLOW

(Bruce Miller, www.hermit.cc)

* The original anti-theft devices--Lucas Electric products.

* "I've had a Lucas pacemaker for years and have never experienced any prob...

* If Lucas made guns, wars would not start either.

* Did you hear about the Lucas powered torpedo? It sank.

* It's not true that Lucas, in 1947, tried to get Parliament to repeal Ohm's Law. They withdrew their efforts when they met too much resistance.

* Did you hear the one about the guy that peeked into a Land Rover and asked the owner "How can you tell one switch from another at night, since they all look the same?" "He replied, it doesn't matter which one you use, nothing happens!"

* Back in the '70s Lucas decided to diversify its product line and began manufacturing vacuum cleaners. It was the only product they offered which didn't suck.

* Quality Assurance phoned and advised the Lucas engineering guy that they had trouble with his design shorting out. So he made the wires longer.

* Why do the English drink warm beer? Lucas made the refrigerators, too.

* Alexander Graham Bell invented the Telephone.

Thomas Edison invented the Light Bulb.

Joseph Lucas invented the Short Circuit.

* Recommended procedure before taking on a repair of Lucas equipment: check the position of the stars, kill a chicken and walk three times sunwise around your car chanting: "Oh mighty Prince of Darkness protect your unworthy servant."

* Lucas systems actually uses AC current; it just has a random frequency.

* How to make AIDS disappear? Give it a Lucas parts number.

* Recently, Lucas won out over Bosch to supply the electrical for the new Volkswagens. So, now the cars from the Black Forest will come with electrics supplied by the Lord of Darkness -- how appropriate!

* Lucas is an acronym for Loose Unsoldered Connections and Splices.

* The Prince's last words to his son: "don't go riding after dark"

(via Bernie Allan, BritIron Newsgroup)

* Lucas jokes: black humor.

(Bruce Miller, www.hermit.cc)

Credit to www.hermit.cc

IMHO Probably the biggest factor contributing to the end of the british car and motorcycle industry.

I sacked off a whole load of lucas carp from my landy this weekend.

Lucas 4cu ECU and flapper type AFM. in favour of megasquirt.

Its never run as good since iv had it.... Now i could sell the old lucas $h1T cause they cost a mint for a "reconditioned" one however i wouldnt want to wish that on anyone, hunting backfiring missing piece of carp

Think im just going to burn it or smash it up insted

It runs better on just the base map :-)

Weekend b4 the clutch master cylinder went, Not had many electrical faults yet except the indicators fail to work sometimes. fixed by flashing the hazzards then they work again. probably a relay or something.

Its not unheard of for the window wipers to stop working, mate of mine was on the M1 in pouring rain when his stopped.

First step is to swap out all the old fuses for new ones and clean the holders at the same time, these seem to corrode nicely and provide a rubbish connection, this alone cured 90% of the electrical gremlins on the 90 after a period of lay up.

Worth checking that the spindle mechanism is not seized on the wipers, the drivers side went solid on mine (again after lay up), and so needed to be replaced. Have to check by removing motor, and don't be fooled by the wiper arm moving, the ally arms will strip their splines easily when given some abuse.

hi there,

Just a word of warning with the Halogen uppgrade!

Go carefull if offroading and wading, if that's your sort of thing. The reason i say that is that i found them very difficult to seal the bulb in, they therfore kept filling up with water and blowing bulbs when offroading. It ended with me putting the sealed beams back in due the amount of money i was spending on bulbs!

Put four spots above the thw windscreen, that'll help you see where your going!!

Cheers

Neil

First step is to swap out all the old fuses for new ones and clean the holders at the same time, these seem to corrode nicely and provide a rubbish connection, this alone cured 90% of the electrical gremlins on the 90 after a period of lay up.

I was thinking last night about swapping all the old glass tube type fuses to modern spade plug in ones but I don't know how difficult that is? Has anyone done this already?

Cheers

hi there,

Just a word of warning with the Halogen uppgrade!

Go carefull if offroading and wading, if that's your sort of thing. The reason i say that is that i found them very difficult to seal the bulb in, they therfore kept filling up with water and blowing bulbs when offroading. It ended with me putting the sealed beams back in due the amount of money i was spending on bulbs!

Put four spots above the thw windscreen, that'll help you see where your going!!

Cheers

Neil

I'm hoping to not go that deep! But point taken, I noticed when putting them in that the grommet on the rear of the lamp does not provide any kind of effective seal> At somepoint the whole headlight bowl unit will need replacing in mine as the current one is pretty knackered! I just hope that they adjust as at the moment my beams are way too high :( They look good though! ;)

Not a good day then :)

Changing the fuse holders is a relatively simple job that can be done using a later fuse holder or off the shelf replacements from somewhere like VWS.

Mo

I'm hoping today will be better, but i'm meant to be having a BBQ... where's the sunshine! Anyway i'm a positive person I'm sure it'll be hunky dory!

Cheers for the link! Definately a worthy upgrade i think. .. especially if I get myself one of those nice TD5 dash/clock sets :P I can see me rewiring the whole vehicle before long!

Cheers Mo!

If you have used the cover for the bulb. A headlight bowl that is solid. Then the rubber ring over the front of the headlight. You should reduce the risck of water getting into the light unit

I like my Lucas stuff.

mike

I have no probs with Lucas, or who ever makes the bits and bobs.. just as long as the work! ;)

I swapped my old flakey glass fuses for blades by just replacing the front loom section for a recent second hand one - was doing the bulkhead at the same time so it made sense but it wasn't a big job - all the connectors were the same as on my old '86 loom.

Only trouble is I don't know which fuse is for what as the diagram on the fuse cover is differet now :huh:

I drilled holes in my crystal lenses to let the water out, trying to seal stuff like that is like herding cats. Just don't drive into water with your lights on and you're OK.

Good point, but that's a bit sensible. where's the fun in that!!

Can't beat driving through 3 feet of water in the dark, is that why things keep breaking???

I'm hoping today will be better, but i'm meant to be having a BBQ... where's the sunshine! Anyway i'm a positive person I'm sure it'll be hunky dory!

Cheers for the link! Definately a worthy upgrade i think. .. especially if I get myself one of those nice TD5 dash/clock sets :P I can see me rewiring the whole vehicle before long!

Cheers Mo!

The TD5 clock set is definitely a worthwhile upgrade :) See the wibbly wobbly speedo thread and if you have any questions just pm them over :)

Mo

Not a good day then :)

Changing the fuse holders is a relatively simple job that can be done using a later fuse holder or off the shelf replacements from somewhere like VWS.

Mo

These threads contain some useful info on changing glass fuses to blade fuses -

Replacing fuse box???

Converting glass fuses to blade fuses, Not exactly a ground-up build

ex military 90 wiring

Paul.

Does this sort of thing look like it does the job?

http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/VWP-.../photo/5026.jpg

Graham,

I dont think that would be suitable, it is described as -

12 way fuse block

Consists of two separate banks of 6 fuses with screw connections.

Each bank has a common feed for main (+ve) connection.

A common negative bus provides 12 screw connections for negative connections.

Main connections by 5mm studs.

It would be ideal for feeding auxiliary circuits from a 2nd battery, but not to replace the main fuse box.

In the Defender fuse box, each circuit is individually fused, not commoned.

In the second link in my post 'Turbocharger' has used 2 x VWP FBB8U

fbb8u.jpg

You could also use the genuine blade fuse boxes from Land Rover, which are quite cheap, but that would mean changing the metal panel for the later type and the genuine terminals from Land Rover are silly-money.

Paul.

The TD5 clock set is definitely a worthwhile upgrade :) See the wibbly wobbly speedo thread and if you have any questions just pm them over :)

Mo

Thanks Mo, will do, it was the wibbly wobbly thread that made me consider and ultimately decide that it is an upgrade at somepoint i would like to do, all I need now is another months wages and for something to come up on ebay!

then I will be Pm'ing you and others trying to get it all wired up and working. Worth it though I am sure ( no more dodgy fuel lights! Bliss)

Cheers chap

Graham,

I dont think that would be suitable, it is described as -

12 way fuse block

Consists of two separate banks of 6 fuses with screw connections.

Each bank has a common feed for main (+ve) connection.

A common negative bus provides 12 screw connections for negative connections.

Main connections by 5mm studs.

It would be ideal for feeding auxiliary circuits from a 2nd battery, but not to replace the main fuse box.

In the Defender fuse box, each circuit is individually fused, not commoned.

In the second link in my post 'Turbocharger' has used 2 x VWP FBB8U

fbb8u.jpg

You could also use the genuine blade fuse boxes from Land Rover, which are quite cheap, but that would mean changing the metal panel for the later type and the genuine terminals from Land Rover are silly-money.

Paul.

Thats well worth knowing, thanks for that post!! I was looking on the VMP website at fuse blocks earlier. I think I am definately going to refurbish that part of the wiring as it doesn't cost a lot and saves a lot of headache. ( and it would be good to know what fuse does what!)

Cheers = ]

These threads contain some useful info on changing glass fuses to blade fuses -

Replacing fuse box???

Converting glass fuses to blade fuses, Not exactly a ground-up build

ex military 90 wiring

Paul.

Theres a few good links in that very helpful! I'm not sure if this forum is healthy I'm spending more money on good suggestions everytime I log in!

Nice thunderstorm outside though!

Cheeers