2.25 or 2.3 or 2.5 Petrol Engines

To be honest the thought of LPG over diesel does seem a far better alternative.

What is this Ignition magic you speak of? Any performance or fuel economy increase?

I like the idea of all in for £600.

Where is the best place for the LPG kit?

Maplin ignition unit. About £9 and takes half an hour to make if you can use soldering iron (don't do this on dining table though, I dropped hot solder on it 4 years ago and she's still grumbling). But needs to be in waterproof container in engine bay (Morrisons 80p). It still uses points but takes load off them so they don't wear, also replaces condenser. Used in conjunction with Lucas gold coil (£17) gives much bigger spark, hence better starting etc. But don't use coil without unit or it eats points. You can use Maplin unit with standard coil. Also, fit NGK plugs.

LPG is very easy on one of these. Well, that's to say it's the easiest vehicle to fit LPG to, not necessarily easy to do. I've had two systems, both second hand (which makes it hard work as instructions etc were missing).

Not used them but Tinley Tech are highly recommended.

Basically you need to mount tank in tub and vaporiser in engine bay. Mount filler somewhere handy. Run a pipe from filler to tank, a pipe from tank to vaporiser, a pipe from vaporiser to mixer (just before carb in inlet). You need a solenoid valve to cut petrol. And then you wire it all up with control unit somewhere to hand when driving (wirings the 'fun' bit). Setting up just takes a few logical steps. There's a guide somewhere here or on LR International. (Actually it's not quite as easy as that and you do need to follow safety instructions, but these should come with a new system). Also need to advance timing by about 6 degrees, any more and it pinks on petrol.

I get about 17mpg when using LPG. At about 50p per liter compared with diesel at £1.27 (locally) = 1.27/.5x17=43mpg :lol:

Although LPG is down on power compared with petrol it's only an issue when towing or hills. But it is much nicer to drive and very forgiving of those too bone idle to change gear (that'd be me then), will pull from 20mph in top (er, slowly).

And another thing! Forgot to mention head! Had .080" skimmed off mine and valves reground (Auto Kraft Doncaster) £120 two years ago. That was £30 for valves and rest for skimming, but they made lovely job of it.

It was better, especially on LPG. But I didn't do a 'before and after' comparison so can't quantify. Also not sure how much of improvement was due to valves and how much due to extra compression. What I do know is that it was doing 15mpg before and 17mpg after.

Must admit it's still nobody's Ferrari though.

Ok, Mr Bean. Just read your profile (should have done this first, sorry). Electrician? Maplin unit + LPG wiring = doddle.

Well i'm not an electrician and I did the same thing!

Maplin kit was easy to do just take your time.

I havent had my head skimmed but have rebuilt it, again thats easy but does take a few days.

LPG- Bought a kit from Tinley tech and fitted it. (about £450ish) This took much longer and adding up the hours i did here and there over the course of a couple of weeks it probably all came to about 2-3 straight days. Again there is nothing hard about this, its just time consuming and sometimes fiddly to do it neatly/ right.

Like i said before, i get 18mp on LPG now, and as Hattymender says, thats the same or cheaper than running diesel! Just make sure you have a filling station near you.

The more bling version is MegaJolt, removes the dizzy completely, gives you switchable timing maps, works underwater and gives quite large sparks :P

jolt2.jpg

Then again, no-one's ever fitted fuel injection to one of these engines, I still think there's a load of performance to be had from them with decent engine management.