Td5 over-revving on gear change

Hello all,

I am new to this forum... I own a Defender 110 Td5, it went in for a service (just normal oil changes etc and the viscous fan unit was replaced).

Since I got it back, I have noticed the vehicle over-revs when the clutch is engaged. If I allow a second or two between the accelerator being relased and the clutch being engaged, it isn't as pronounced (or doesn't seem to do it at all).

The only other thing wrong with the vehicle is the fuel pump, which I have been told needs replacing as it is on its way out.

The master cylinder was checked and was ok and the seals replaced. Nothing was done to the clutch (not even the fluid replaced) - allegedly - during the service

Thanks in advance!

Andy

The over-revving could be the switch on the clutch pedal, check the wires to it weren't disturbed if they checked the clutch fluid. The switch tells the ecu when the clutch is dis-engaged.

How do they know the fuel pump is on it's way, is it noisy?

Easy way to check clutch slip as follows.

Drive car at about 30mph in 5th gear,

Give full throttle and wait for car to slowly accelerate,

Dip the clutch to raise revs to say 3500rpm,

Then "drop the clutch" ie, take foot of as fast as possible while still keeping other foot on full throttle,

The engine should immediately "bog" to regain the same revs as before you pressed the clutch,

There should be almost zero slip.

Any slip from the clutch will show it as being faulty and on it's way out.

Lara.

How do I check the clutch switch? sorry for my ignorance.

yes the fuel pump is noisy, and has become progressively noisier (sometimes the noise varies as well, not just a constant whine)

The over-revving could be the switch on the clutch pedal, check the wires to it weren't disturbed if they checked the clutch fluid. The switch tells the ecu when the clutch is dis-engaged.

How do they know the fuel pump is on it's way, is it noisy?

Excuse my utter ignorance but which is the switches? (red or yellow arrow on attachment? :) )

The engine seems to be overfilled with oil (about 8mm above upper notch on dipstick).... could this cause over-revving?

The oil overfill will not be the cause. I bet on the clutch switch too.

Mark.

Overfilling with oil is no good either, it can lead to pressure build-up and then oil-leaks.

If oil got into the air intake (usually via the turbo), the result is an engine running on oil instead of diesel and not responding to the throttle being released because it is (partly) fueled by oil.

Overfilling with oil is no good either, it can lead to pressure build-up and then oil-leaks.

If oil got into the air intake (usually via the turbo), the result is an engine running on oil instead of diesel and not responding to the throttle being released because it is (partly) fueled by oil.

Oh dear. Will it be enough to drain the oil from the sump plug or is it more complicated than that if oil has got into the air intake?

I would not worry about that until you have checked the clutch switch.

8mm too high on the dipstick is nothing anyway, I have seen engines with oil anywhere between 50-80mm too high on the dipstick (usually caused by being filled by a dipstick!) and they suffered no problems though at that level you would definitely want to drain some out. I wouldn't even bother draining it out just keep an eye on it to make sure it isn't getting any higher, which would mean you are losing diesel into the oil from the fuel rail in the head which would be inconvenient and bl**dy expensive.

• 2 weeks later...

It was the clutch switch, unplugged it and its fine... I'm in Africa and the part isn't available locally so it'll be a while until I can get hold of a replacement... I'm not doing any harm driving it with it unplugged am I?

Many thanks to you all

Guest diesel_jim

I unplugged it on my old Td5 110 as the anti stall got on my t!ts a lot!

i did 144,000 miles with it disconnected, no problem at all... in fact, it was nice to have the old "clunky" LR transmission back! LOL!