Can anyone suggest good soundproofing?

Guest deleted

Guest diesel_jim

I fancy lining the inside of the 110 with a stick on soundproof, like Dynamat, but it's so friggin expensive (especially with the amount of internal panels on a 110 SW!)

anyone know of a cheaper equivalent? it's more or less a foam pad with an aluminium sheet on top.

Camping mats work well for noise absorbtion and are cheap, Flashband will take out panel vibration.

I have tried the same using DIY tar based roofing materials. Be aware of the fact that some of these products do not stand heat that well, and as such should NOT be placed on vertical or inverted surfaces.

When the heat strikes the roof, it becomes really hot, which will dissolve the roofing material. I had to remove them (Most came off by placing the vehicle in the burning sun), and then treated the roof with Rubson Silicone bonding, applied with a block brush. This has a permanent adhesive power, does not melt under the sun, and also diminished the build up of condensation. As an alternative, it is possible to apply this stuff, and then cover with a fabric like Neoprene. Then you have sound proofing an alternative headliner.

I used the noisekiller liquid and found it to be very effective.

All interior panels on a 110 including doors covered.

No panel drumming/vibration no condensation.

I have not fitted the front headlining or door panels, so can keep a close eye/ear on the noisekiller liquids performance.

Impressed so far.

Guest diesel_jim
How about camping mats ?

The supermarkets are at the end of the season...Either out of stock or wanting rid.

mike

good idea Mike. i'll take a look in Lidl's/B&Q

I used the noisekiller liquid and found it to be very effective.

All interior panels on a 110 including doors covered.

No panel drumming/vibration no condensation.

I have not fitted the front headlining or door panels, so can keep a close eye/ear on the noisekiller liquids performance.

Impressed so far.

How much does that cost? I looked into it for the back of my 90, but one of those jobs I've not gotten round to yet!

good idea Mike. i'll take a look in Lidl's/B&Q

It is worth taking a little care since the density of the mat affects its effectiveness as an insulator and sound deadener. I thought likewise last year and bought 6 Tesco Value camping mats for something like a fiver the lot - and they are not worth tuppence! The foam is so thin I didn't even bother fitting them. Much better (albeit more expensive) to get decent density stuff since then you only are going to have the hassle of doing the job once.

My only nervousness, having done it, is if it ever caught fire it would add to the nastiness (is having molten plastics drop on you worse than diesel fire beneath you - discuss) but not sure in the grand scale of things whether this is an issue.

I've used screwfix self adhesive flashing tape [#72438 aluminium foil with bitumen backing] against all the big flat panels [roof, van sides, footwells inside and out, and floor panels. Panels warmed with a heat gun, and tape slapped on, it even takes paint well with a decent primer.

Over that went some 8mm high density camping mats [Asda 3.47 ea.] trim glued on.

Sound quality is much better, and I'm now a bit more insulated too.

It is worth taking a little care since the density of the mat affects its effectiveness as an insulator and sound deadener. I thought likewise last year and bought 6 Tesco Value camping mats for something like a fiver the lot - and they are not worth tuppence! The foam is so thin I didn't even bother fitting them. Much better (albeit more expensive) to get decent density stuff since then you only are going to have the hassle of doing the job once.

My only nervousness, having done it, is if it ever caught fire it would add to the nastiness (is having molten plastics drop on you worse than diesel fire beneath you - discuss) but not sure in the grand scale of things whether this is an issue.

I used expanding foam in various places on my Sunbeam rally car. Including filling the space on the back where the tank sat in what was the spare wheel well.

A rang the local fire brigade and asked about the fire risk.

"I wouldn't bother about the foam. The covering on the wires will kill you from the fumes first" Was the answer.

mike

I used expanding foam in various places on my Sunbeam rally car. Including filling the space on the back where the tank sat in what was the spare wheel well.

A rang the local fire brigade and asked about the fire risk.

"I wouldn't bother about the foam. The covering on the wires will kill you from the fumes first" Was the answer.

mike

On fire risk, I was thinking along similar lines earlier when dripping molten plastic was mentioned: That the seats and carpets have never really impressed me with their fire retardancy when welding...

On expanding foam - is this the yellow stuff that builders use? It's a nice idea - quick, insulating, sound deadening, light, but wouldn't it tent to soak up moisture and hold it against the panels in a Land Rover (leaky and sometimes submerged) setting?

I have just taken delivery of a mat for the rear tub for the 90, the chap is on Ebay nic.wood shop name : U-PM.COM Land Rover. I'll fit it later but on first impressions of the stuff he sells its pretty thick and looks like it will be effective. Not too expensive either, and a nice bloke.

How much does that cost? I looked into it for the back of my 90, but one of those jobs I've not gotten round to yet!

I paid about £30 for enough to do a 110 with 2 coats.

You need to paint or roller it on on a warm but not too humid a day.

It is water based and can run a bit if it is too humid.

John

I paid about £30 for enough to do a 110 with 2 coats.

You need to paint or roller it on on a warm but not too humid a day.

It is water based and can run a bit if it is too humid.

John

Hi John .. think I am following you about on here!

that stuff sounds good and cheap and easy, is it something you can buy off the shelf? or is it only available direct from 'noisekiller'?

Cheers,

Martin