Cutting hole in floor to get to TD5 fuel pump

We have a 110 in with a leak at the top of the tank - most likely the fuel pump or the pipes. Unfortunately the tank is full so I suggested to the owner that we cut a hole in the floor instead of taking the tank out. My question is, does anyone know EXACTLY where to cut the hole?

Question: how do I make a hole in the floor without drilling through the tank by accident? That is, what is the clearance between the floor and the tank? Maybe I should use a drill with a spacer so that it can't go far into the floor?

I think you have a couple of inches clearance because there are ribs under the floor IIRC and then a space under that but yes a drill bit with a bunch of washers on so it can only just go through the floor would seem to be a sensible precaution :)

Cut with a Dremel... (Small disc grinder)

But make sure that although you are cutting Aluminium the sparks or hot cuttings do not reach the spilled fuel. This safety goes for drilling as well...

I used an angle grinder to cut the hole in mine, there is easily sufficient clearance under the floor - 50mm+. Once through the floor I was able to remove the floor 'hatch' (had to break one or two spot welds on the ali IIRC) but had to use a reciprocating saw to cut through the strengthening under the floor. Since I have a store draw in place the strength of the floor is irrelevant to me but you may wish to keep it in mind Jim - some rivets and angle iron would readily replace the strength IMHO. If you are only looking at loose connections you may get away with leaving the strengthening in place. I had to remove some so that I could change the pump.

HTH

Chris

Cut with a Dremel... (Small disc grinder)

But make sure that although you are cutting Aluminium the sparks or hot cuttings do not reach the spilled fuel. This safety goes for drilling as well...

One of these days we must get a fire extinguisher for the workshop. I think a UK H&S inspector would have a heart attack if he saw our 'workshop' :ph34r: