Replacing panhard rod bushes

Les Henson

Wear in the panhard rod bushes is usually identified by wandering steering, a click or knock - especially when starting a turn.

The rod can be removed with the vehicle sat on the ground, so just crawl under the front of the vehicle. Both ends are a 22mm nut/bolt.

Axle end-

gallery_2_622_11081.jpg

Chassis end-

gallery_2_622_23508.jpg

The bush inner sleeve has come loose and the end of the rod is now tapping/rubbing on the mounting bracket.

gallery_2_622_2066.jpg

Remove both nuts/bolts and the rod will come away. The chassis will move slightly to the drivers side as you do this. Note the kink on the rod - this has to go at the diff end.

gallery_2_622_137.jpg

A 21/22mm socket is the right size to use to press the old bush out.

gallery_2_622_35787.jpg

If you don't have a hydraulic press, then either use a big vice or get a local garage to replace the bushes. In this thread I'm using a 15-ton hydraulic press. The pressure required to get the bushes out was just over 5-tons.

Centre the socket on the bush - not forgetting to allow room underneath for the bush to come out.

gallery_2_622_43371.jpg

gallery_2_622_2726.jpg

Once the bush is out, grease the rod eye and also the outside of the new bush. Again make sure that there's room for the inner sleeve to protrude - it's longer than the bush main body.

gallery_2_622_4958.jpg

gallery_2_622_2764.jpg

The bush protrudes a small amount either side of the rod eye, so make sure both sides are equal.

gallery_2_622_2860.jpg

Bolt the rod back on axle end first and then pull the body/chassis towards the passenger side until the hole in the rod lines up with the hole in the mounting bracket.

gallery_2_622_15938.jpg

Once both bolts are in - do them up mental tight!

gallery_2_622_22061.jpg

Les.

Great post Les (as usual). Really good clear photo's.

The only thing I will add is that on mine the bolts were worn instead of the bush, this gave the same/similar symptoms.

Whichever is worn it is worth checking the bolts anyway, if you don't repalce worn bolts then a new bush won't make any improvement as once the bush has stettled in the bolt will start to move around again.

Marc

Post is clear as we have grown to expect from a man of your caliber :P

What camera do you use for your photos I need to do a better job for my hydro assist instalation instructions.

One point to look out for though is whilst doing this it is worth checking the tension of the bolts going from the support bracket to the steering box, as I have seen these work loose and I have seen the support bracket broken a couple of times.

another way to identify worn pan had rod bushes is exessive body (side to side) movement when you rock the steering left and right while stationary.

I use a Samsung S1050 digi camera. It's 10.1 megapixels and 5 x optical zoom and a 6 x 4.5cm screen. It's a bit bulky for my purposes - my last one was a Samsung as well, but significantly smaller. They only tend to last about 9-months anyway, so get changed fairly regularly.

I use the macro setting on it for these threads.

Les.