ZF auto into v8 lightweight

muddypaws

Anybody know if a ZF auto box (4hp22) incl bellhousing etc is a similar length to a standard series III box. I am contemplating fitting a ZF box out of a rangey to my v8 lightweight using the ashcroft conversion kit to mate the box to the series transfer box but I don't really want to have to move the engine forward if I can avoid it. My concern is propshaft lengths. Any advice would be most appreciated. :huh:

• 2 weeks later...
Anybody know if a ZF auto box (4hp22) incl bellhousing etc is a similar length to a standard series III box. I am contemplating fitting a ZF box out of a rangey to my v8 lightweight using the ashcroft conversion kit to mate the box to the series transfer box but I don't really want to have to move the engine forward if I can avoid it. My concern is propshaft lengths. Any advice would be most appreciated. :huh:

Hi there,

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you, been rather busy!

First of all, an auto box is very long. Extremely long in series terms! Even longer than a LT77 defender model.

The series 4speed is a nice small compact unit.

My hybrid had a V8 4speed auto BW transfer box.

The front prop is approx 36" long and the rear is approx 15" short. (BW front props tend to be approx 2 inch longer than LT230) I believe that the series were both the same.

I cant comment on the length of a series transfer box and ashcroft adapter plate but i wouldnt think it being too much shorter than a LT230.

The auto looks nice and neat above floorboards but underneath a real beast!

There is a thread on here where the guys told me how i could shorten my own props which was very handy.

I can measure the length of auto box if you want as i have one on the floor right now!

Hope this helps.