Near side front wheel not upright?

CJRH

Ok, when I bought the 2a I knew that there was something wrong with the near side front wheel, when viewed from the front it leans out at the top. Since then I have replaced the chassis with a new galvanized one and the problem was still there so it is not the chassis. I then replaced the front axel casing and the problem was still there. I have now replaced the whole hub assembly including half shaft and it still leans out, what else could it be?

Cheers, Chris

The wheels have also been changed to Disco ones and they do run true, when compared to the nearside it leans out far more.........

Chris

Have you compared it with the offside? IIRC they do lean out at the top.

Also, does the wheel run true? Jack it off the ground and turn it, it shouldn't wobble.

Series LandRover front wheels are supposed to lean out at the top. They are designd with 1 1/2 degrees of positive camber. Only RangeRovers and Defender coil sprung vehicles are designed with no camber angle. It is highly unlikely that your axle assembly is bent as this would cause the wheels to lean in at the top not out.

Bill.

It is highly unlikely that your axle assembly is bent as this would cause the wheels to lean in at the top not out.

If someone has clouted a curb for instance... it could easily do this -would have to be quite hard, granted.

You say you've replaced the axle tube and hub assembly, have you replaced the swivel and stub axle as well? That's about all that's left as far as I can tell. Not unheard of for people to bend a stub axle.

If you have replaced those bits, you probably just need an optician.

Cheers for the replies, I have also replaced the stub axel and swivel. I think it might be an optical allusion now! Both of the front wings are very bashed up which doesn’t help and as it happens I am due an eye test! Also the Landy is not sitting level, it leans to the nearside. I think the parabolic springs might be on the wrong corners, I picked them up second hand from the sort out at Newbury last year but there are no markings on them for N/S and O/S. I guess I’ll have to take them all off again and sit them on top of each other to see if any sit higher and then if two of them do put them on the drivers side.

Chris