kingdongs disco 200 tdi conversion.

kingdong

Hi all

well the time has come to start the tdi conversion i have been talking about so in the morning i will start with removing the wings and the petrol engine

over the last few months i have been collecting stuff like an engine. a turbo. and a steve parker exhaust system.

parts i have replaced.

1 timing belt.

2 fuel lift pump.

3 oil and filter.

4 oil pressure switch.

5 oil filler cap.

and the engine is ready to go in so once the petrol engine is out and the series exhaust removed then i can get started in fitting the tdi in.

cheers graham.

s11a swb bronze green.

Following this with interest as I am planning a 200tdi into mine in the coming months - I've hopefully just sourced an engine so my planning will hopefully start soon.

Mines a 2.25 diesel at the moment so some bits should be easier, such as fuel tank etc, is yours a SWB or LWB?

Is the SP Exhaust required or a luxury?

no mines a swb petrol and as for the exhaust i can't weld so needed to sort something out and the s.p.exhaust was the easiest option also its 2 1/2" I.D. which would suit the engine better than a cobled together one.

cheers graham.

s11a swb bronze green.

Hi all

had a good day today my son and i removed the wings. the radiator panel. and the petrol engine

then my son had to meet his girl freind so on my own i managed to bolt the tdi in.

so i am quite pleased with my self and having a few beers

so in the week i will trim the the legs of the battery tray ( i am looking at lengthening the legs and refitting the battery tray higher up when everything is in place )

and then i will fit the s.p.exhaust.

cheers graham.

s11a swb bronze green.

Hi all

had a good day today my son and i removed the wings. the radiator panel. and the petrol engine

then my son had to meet his girl freind so on my own i managed to bolt the tdi in.

so i am quite pleased with my self and having a few beers

so in the week i will trim the the legs of the battery tray ( i am looking at lengthening the legs and refitting the battery tray higher up when everything is in place )

and then i will fit the s.p.exhaust.

cheers graham.

s11a swb bronze green.

hello

remeber the photo's

we do like to see how the others are doing

that remind's me i should get on and

finish putting mine back together

200tdi+lt77 all in series 2 109

post-1882-1218400632_thumb.jpg

must do that prop

post-1882-1218400738_thumb.jpg

:blink: TWIZZLE :blink:

yep it sure has i have been working on my mates landy off and on and recently had my twin daughters 21st

also i have coinsided my week off to domost of the conversion wilst my mate is off to paint the outside of my house ( he is a bus driver and painter and decorator )

but i decided to start the conversion a week early to get all the heavy work out of the way i don't plan on rushing it but would like it finnished in a couple of months

also i will need my brother to come down and sort some of the wiring out as i am no good with electics.

cheers graham.

1962 s11a swb 200tdi.

Hi everyone

after i came home from today i started work removing the old exhaust and fitted the s.p.exhaust it was a bit of a struggle to fit as i fitted it the way the guy told me at steve parkers

which was start at the silancer end and work your way to the manifold but realy think i should of started at the manifold and work towards the silancer still never mind

i managed to get it on loose as it was getting late so i will bolt it all up tomorrow after work.

i have managed to take some pics so i will send them towards the end of the week.

cheers graham.

1962 s11a swb

was a 2.1/4 petrol

now a 200 tdi

Hi all

i have now tightened all the exhaust and it looks great and when you try and shake it it doesn't even move

unlike series exhausts do so i gave my self a break from being under the landy and conected some of the wiring

there are loads of pics to folllow ( posably weekend )

cheers graham.

1962 s11a swb

was a 2.1/4 petrol

now a 200 tdi

theres loads to do i am on holiday next week so i can get a few things done then

1 i need to sort out the radiator ( which one to use series or 300 tdi )

2 intercooler ( how and where to mount it )

3 oil cooler ( which one to use 300 tdi rad combined with oil cooler. a remote oil cooler. or a prima oil cooler )

4 get my brother to sort out some of the electrics

5 replace all cooling hoses

6 fit the fuel lines and filter head/filter

7 fit the air filter ( which one to use defender 200 tdi or something ells inc sealing it for wadding )

8 start the engine ( not heard it run yet )

9 sort out fan belt

10 fit an electric fan

11 refit wings and floor plates

12 and finaly road test.

don't think i will get all that done in a week but you never now.

cheers graham.

1962 s11a swb

was a 2.1/4 petrol

now its a 200 tdi

Electrics should be really basic, as far as I can think there is only the stop solenoid and the glow plugs, for the stop solenoid just take a feed off the ignition, so that when it's switched on the feed becomes live.

The glow plugs will be a little more tricky as you've got a petrol barrel. Might be easiest to put in a relay and a switch and manually switch the glow plugs on when you need them.

Hi all

i am very sorry for this i have managed to load the pics to my laptop

but for some reason i can't send them to the thread

so i will get my son to show me again

cheers graham.

1962 s11a swb.

was a 2.1/4 petrol

now its a 200 tdi.

Hi mate, easiest way is to click "Add Reply" Not "Fast Reply" then type in your message at the top then scroll down a bit to "Attachments" click "Browse" locate the image on your machine then click "UPLOAD".

The other way is to upload your images to somewhere like photobucket or any other free image hosting websites. Then put them in here inside img tags. I probably can't type them here as it would try to insert an image but basically type the following but replace { for [ and } for ] and it should work:

{img}http://www.photobucket.com/imagenamehere.jpg{/img}

The first way is easiest though

Hi guys

i spent all afternoon fitting the fuel filter housing to the bulkhead repiping all fuel system and bleeding the system

is it a self bleed system only i have tried to pump fuel up from the tank to the lift pump and i can't get fuel up

but found if i rotate the engine with a 3/4 drive socket and ratchet it will send fuel through up to the filter.

cheers graham.

1962 s11a swb

was a 2.1/4 petrol

now its a 200 tdi.

Hi guys

i spent all afternoon fitting the fuel filter housing to the bulkhead repiping all fuel system and bleeding the system

is it a self bleed system only i have tried to pump fuel up from the tank to the lift pump and i can't get fuel up

but found if i rotate the engine with a 3/4 drive socket and ratchet it will send fuel through up to the filter.

cheers graham.

1962 s11a swb

was a 2.1/4 petrol

now its a 200 tdi.

Graham,

Looking good... :) When I did mine, I changed my oil and filter befire firing the first time. I left the wire off of the fuel distributor while I cranked the engine, to make sure I had oil pressure, and no leaks, until the oil pressure light went out. Then connected the fuel distrubutor wire, and it started first bump... :) That way you prime the fuel and oil pumps at the same time, and can check for leaks before it starts running...

:ph34r:

Hi Kingdong

Just finished putting a disco 200 in my 2a.

Used a 300 tdi filter box, 200 tdi rad & intercooler. inverted the intercooler and set it back 22mm from the rad, it then fits in the recess in the left wing, inverting it made the pipes fit easier and more clearance on the repositioned alternator. Used the series diesel elephant trunk from the airbox the the turbo inlet, cut & shut disco pipes for turbo to bottom of intercooler and a piece of flexible 'hot air' pipe for the int'cooler to manifold.

Removed the viscos fan and also cut the thread off the front of the water pump to give more clearance on the rad.

Rad hoses:- bottom hose from disco cut and joined to cut series btm hose. top hose, 2 x 90deg. bends joined. expantion tank on r/h wing. Electric fan in front of rad.

Oil cooler pipes fitted without modification, fuel filter mounted on new bracket from bulkhead ( std disco fuel lines ). modified rod linkage for accelerator.

Home made 62mm short exhaust exits between bulkhead support bracket and footwell, under outrigger, expansion box under seat box, exiting in front of n/s rear wheel.

Mine was already a diesel so wiring was simple, dont need the heater plugs ( well not this time of year ).

Battery now in the rear tub.

Think about how you'd remove the starter motor, if needed, when all the body work & exhaust is re-fitted!

Only one problem. as I don't have a servo fitted yet I left the vacuum pipe open. When running the engine this sucked enough air into the crankcase along with the natural crankcase presure to prevent the oil properly draining back to the sump. Result was the oil built up in the rocker box and eventually started flowing into the air filter via the crankcase breather tube!!!

I see from your photo the vacuum pump is open, if you haven't got a servo block the pipe off.

Get some sound proofing, you'll need it.