Kam R/Ps

Wingnut

Slightly (Way???) off topic and please don't think I am trying to hijack this thread, but since Kam's name has cropped up here, what is everybody's opinion of their Ring and Pinion sets.

I am interested in their 3.8 or 4.11 ratio gears to fit into a Disco 2 to offset the fitting of larger tyres. The car is used predominately on the road, but when used off the road it is expected to perform as I need it too. ARB fitted in the rear axel.

Never dealt with Kam so other peoples experience would be most helpful regarding quality and customer service.

All replies and comments appreciated

Peter

I had 4.75 Kam ring and pinions on an old 90 off mine. Did it about 5 years ago now and I had mine with ARB lockers . They were great, loved them and they are still running the ARB lockers under the 90 to this day

Jules has them still on his rangie LSE (he has 4.75 but stilll Kam ones)

I had 4.75 Kam ring and pinions on an old 90 off mine. Did it about 5 years ago now and I had mine with ARB lockers . They were great, loved them and they are still running the ARB lockers under the 90 to this day

Jules has them still on his rangie LSE (he has 4.75 but stilll Kam ones)

One word Ali - BOLTS :P

3.54 r&ps are the strongest and will benifit the most from pegging due to their thin crownwheel. If you want to keep using Rover axles this is the route I'd take and play around with your gearing in other ways to suit - it can be done.

I used to run Kam 4.75 and managed to break one.

I am not sure if I broke the 10 spline ARB end plate/bearing holder first which then flexed causing the C&P to break or if it was the other way round.

The component on the ARB was replaced with a stronger fine spline item.

When I needed to replace the KAM C&P in a hurry (less than 2 weeks) there was none available, I was told they were on order but other higher paying motorsport had production priority.

I changed back to 3.54 and bought an underdrive.

mm Don't know what you mean will :rolleyes::rolleyes:

But the R & Ps wre fine and lasted well :ph34r:

on 4.75 KAM R&P I've had for 4-5 years

Mine have been ok and my gearing is the same it was designed to be in the factory so I don't need to spend thousands on a under drive. If it went any slower in first low it would be going backwards :lol:

mm Don't know what you mean will :rolleyes::rolleyes:

But the R & Ps wre fine and lasted well :ph34r:

There have been a few(mine and one other that I know of) cases where running 4.75 ratio the bolts which attatch the crown wheel to the diff centre have stretched/worked loose, if this is not picked up and re-tightened / bolts replaced the bolts have been known to come out with disasterous results.

In my case I/Gwyn discovered the loose bolts and rectified without any further problems, this was done 3 times, twice on the back, once on the front during 2 years aprox 22 winch challenge comps and a few play days.

My guess as to the possible reason for this is that the crown wheel of 4.75 is not bolted directly to the ARB but has to have a spacer plate between the ARB and crown wheel. I guess this combination is more difficult to hold firm together than when the crown wheel is bolted directly to the ARB.